1956 Johnson Javelin Water flow question

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1956 Johnson Javelin Water flow question

they are not the same hole they are located side by side. that motor will push that boat very well. when you have it tuned correctly it is more dependable than the new ones.
let me go look... brb

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there is definitely ONE hole above the prop...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i edited my post an added the revised picture.

CATransplant

Admiral

Now that I see the boat, I can tell you that your 30 hp Javelin will push it along at around 25 mph. I had an identical boat, with a 1958 35hp Johnson on it. It jumped instantly on plane and was a joy to run. Best of all, those Big Twins will idle down to almost nothing, letting you troll easily with your main outboard.

I'd take one like yours, tuned properly, over any of the later model 25 or 25 hp models. You may have to put a few hours into it with the impeller replacement and the carb cleaning, but once you're done, that engine will be good for another 50 years. If it's running well, as you say, odds are that someone has already replaced the coils under the flywheel. If they hadn't, it probably wouldn't be running at all, or just barely..

A little auto polish will shine up that pretty red hood and you'll get lots of admiring looks at the launch ramp...I guarantee. Lots of fans of old Johnnyrudes out there.

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now that I see the boat, I can tell you that your 30 hp Javelin will push it along at around 25 mph. I had an identical boat, with a 1958 35hp Johnson on it. It jumped instantly on plane and was a joy to run. Best of all, those Big Twins will idle down to almost nothing, letting you troll easily with your main outboard.

I'd take one like yours, tuned properly, over any of the later model 25 or 25 hp models. You may have to put a few hours into it with the impeller replacement and the carb cleaning, but once you're done, that engine will be good for another 50 years. If it's running well, as you say, odds are that someone has already replaced the coils under the flywheel. If they hadn't, it probably wouldn't be running at all, or just barely..

A little auto polish will shine up that pretty red hood and you'll get lots of admiring looks at the launch ramp...I guarantee. Lots of fans of old Johnnyrudes out there.
i didnt know this motor was that popular.... how hard is it to do the impeller? link to instructions??

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks to everyone so far! Great advice!!

CATransplant

Admiral

The impeller job's not at all difficult on that model. I'm sure there's a step-by-step on this site somewhere, since I remember writing one a while back, but I don't have the link.

It's about a one hour job...normally. Let me see if I can find the link....

CATransplant

Admiral

OK, I found the thing I wrote back in 2005 on impeller replacement on Big Twins. I'm pasting it in below. On your Javelin, ignore the steps that mention an outer housing or cover on the leg. Yours doesn't have that housing.
=====================================
Impeller Replacement for OMC Big Twins (30-40hp, 1950s and early 1960s)

OK. Here's the basic drill. It would help if you had the manual, though, and I make no guarantees that I didn't miss something. Give yourself a couple of hours for this job, the first time you do it, and work slowly and methodically. Have a good place to put parts and keep parts from different assemblies separate:

1. If your model has the outer cover on the back of the midsection, remove the phillips head screws and remove the cover.

2. Shift the outboard into Forward gear. Turn the prop clockwise, if necessary, to shift. On the starboard (right) side of the midsection, you'll find a small cover with two screws. Remove the screws and the cover. On most of these, another cover is inside. If so, remove the TOP screw only, then loosen the bottom one and let the cover swing down. NOTE: Be careful here. You don't want to drop the screw down the exhaust tube. What I do is use a socket and keep it up against the cover as I unscrew. When it's out, I carefully put a finger under the socket and make sure the screw comes out and doesn't drop.Inside this cover you'll see a brass clamp fitting, rectangular in cross-section. A small bolt goes through it at the top. CAREFULLY...remove that bolt, using the technique described above. The upper shift rod is held by this clamp.

3. Tilt the motor up, as if for trailering, using the screw-in bolt or pin to hold it in position. Remove the bolts/screws which hold the lower unit onto the midsection, including the one revealed by removing the cover, if one exists. If they don't want to come out, tap the bolt heads lightly with a hammer to break up the corrosion. Do not force these. Twist one off and you'll complicate the job.

4. Carefully remove the lower unit from the midsection. You may have to bump it lightly with a rubber hammer or other soft tool to free it. It will come off, complete with the driveshaft, lower shift rod and clamp.In most case the water tube(s) will remain in the midsection. If they come out, reassembly will be a bit more difficult, but still doable. Remove the o-ring from the top of the driveshaft. You will want to replace this on re-assembly. DO NOT REMOVE THE DRIVESHAFT FROM THE LOWER UNIT!

5. Locate the impeller housing on the lower unit. The driveshaft extends through it. Remove the screws holding the cover in place, then slide the cover up and off the driveshaft. Remove the rubber impeller, noting the direction the arms bend. A small woodruff key is there to drive the impeller. Do not lose this!

6. Place the new impeller over the drive shaft and slide it down, positioning the woodruff key, then sliding the impeller over it, matching the groove in the impeller with the key. Take your time.

7. Give the inside of the impeller housing a thin coat of undiluted liquid dishwashing detergent, then slide the impeller cover over the drive shaft and down to the impeller. Carefully bend the arms of the impeller in the same direction as the old one and work the cover over the impeller slowly and gently. This is the trickiest bit of the whole thing. (Note: if you can't remember the direction, turn the prop clockwise (looking from back of the motor)). It also helps to turn the prop as you work the cover down over the impeller. Once it's seated, reinstall the screws. If you forgot to shift into Forward at the beginning, you can do that now by pulling up on the shift rod.

8. Look at the top of the water pump. You will see one or two rubber grommets. The water tube(s) fit into these. If they are damaged, replace them. Otherwise, smear some liquid dish soap on and in them to lubricate them for easier insertion.

9. Place a new o-ring in the groove at the top of the driveshaft, at the base of the splines. Use some marine grease to lightly grease the splines.

10. Slowly and gently...slide the driveshaft and shift rod back into the engine as you replace the lower unit. As the lower unit gets close to the midsection, align the water tube(s) with the grommets in the water pump. Most engines have these tubes cut at an angle to assist you in getting them in place. If necessary, turn the prop clockwise just a little to get the driveshaft splines aligned. You may well have to wiggle things around to get all the parts in alignment. When the lower unit is fully flush with the midsection, re-install the bolts that hold it to the midsection.(NOTE: if the water tubes have come out with the lower unit, remove them from the water pump and fit them into the upper unit. It ain't easy, but you can do it if necessary. This doesn't usually happen, though)

11. On the midsection, make sure that the upper shift rod is in place in the brass clamp. You can manipulate the shift lever and move the clamp down into neutral, if necessary. Note the groove around the shift rod. That groove MUST align with the bolt hole in the clamp. Re-insert the clamping screw, with star washer. (Here, I put some grease in the socket I use to help hold the screw. If necessary, put a nut in the socket to have the screw protruding from the socket, far enought to engage the threads. Don't drop it down the exhaust tube, please. Tighten the screw firmly, but don't overtighten...you can strip the threads fairly easily.

12. Replace the inner cover, again being careful not to drop the screw inside the exhaust housing. Don't forget to tighten the lower screw on this cover. Replace the outer cover, if any.

13. Replace the external midsection cover, if it exists on your model, and you're done. When replacing this cover, make sure the hose with the little bellows for the idle relief fits into the hole in the cover.

14. With the lower unit submerged in water, well over the water intakes, start the engine (in neutral) and check for some water coming out the idle relief hole.That's it. Take your time and pay attention to where things are. Don't forget the new o-ring on the driveshaft and the grease. Don't lose any parts. The first time's a little scary, but it gets easier after that.If I forgot something, I apologize. Pay attention as you work.

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you that certainly helps!

I got it in more water and it is working properly...spitting water out where it should and a lot of it!! I might try and take her to the lake today and see how she runs!! i do need to set the carbs better though...she sputters/knocks a tad bit when idling..

CATransplant

Admiral

Yeah. Try adjusting the low speed mixture...it may be a bit too lean...or, the idle jet could be clogged. That may clear up after you run it awhile...it did on mine. If not, you'll need to clean the carb and install a kit.

I can see no reason not to put it on the water. Just watch that water flow. If the impeller fails, the engine will overheat very quickly. Give some serious consideration to replacing it soon. I'd hate to see a Big Twin ruined for lack of an impeller.

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah. Try adjusting the low speed mixture...it may be a bit too lean...or, the idle jet could be clogged. That may clear up after you run it awhile...it did on mine. If not, you'll need to clean the carb and install a kit.

I can see no reason not to put it on the water. Just watch that water flow. If the impeller fails, the engine will overheat very quickly. Give some serious consideration to replacing it soon. I'd hate to see a Big Twin ruined for lack of an impeller.
i dont know which one is low idle and high...i messed with both and got it a bit better...

i have 8 month old oput there and he is scared of the motor running so i am waiting on mom to get bac k so i can make sure it runs really good before i go to the lake....

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

also...I did rebuild the carb already :) the only thing that is messed up is the thing that cuts the choke off... not the lever on the front but the D batteries sized thing that bolts to the bottom of the carb..it has a cylinder in it and a dust boot but it is not functioning properly...

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Wow, this is a hot thread. 30 posts in less than 2 hours! That's great it's pumping water. Never run the engine when it's not pumping water though. I would throw some seafoam in the tank to see if it will help loosen some crud in the carb and then more work might not be necessary. But that will still not beat a good carb cleaning which is not to hard. I have the same engine but yours looks a lot better than mine! see!

$500 for a good running Javelin 30 and a boat, trailer and a trolling motor is a good deal. Are you in Georgia?

Attachments

• Javelin30.jpg
    Javelin30.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0

wbeaton

Commander

The Javelin is a sought after motor. What is your model number? I don't think you have Javelin. The 1956 has a red (Holiday Bronze) midsection and lower unit. Also, I don't believe the Javelin was offered with a tiller handle. Your motor is white even below the re-paint and has a tiller handle. Also, the tiller grip looks like a 1957-58. You probably have a 35 hp hiding under the cowl.

Yes get the water level up, but you should still replace the impeller. Especially, if you ran it for any length of time without it in the water.

Your motor should like Steve's.

That "D cell battery" sized thing is your choke solenoid. It operates the choke only when using remote controls.

3/4 of a turn might be a little lean on the low speed jet. Standard start position is 1.5 turns out from gently seated. The top jet is the low speed and the bottom is the high.

Last edited:

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hey, good catch Wayne. I missed the tiller. Although it can be retrofit on any big twin from what I understand. And the LU does look all white even under the paint. One of these days I will get mine running :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

use those carb directions exactly as Joe wrote them the slow is the top knob, the high is the bottom knob. once you get them set and if the carb is clean, you never have to touch them again. i agree with replacing the prop, you never know when it will go, and that motor does not have a warning horn. all it will do is stop, when it gets hot, and that is usually too late to salvage it. also it does not have a thermostat.

CATransplant

Admiral

Wow, this is a hot thread.

Yah, those Big Twins have lots of fans, don't they. I'm getting tired of hunting down that post I made back in 2005, though, on replacing the impeller on them. I think I'll make a copy for myself here on my computer, so I don't have to search for it again. Seems like every new Big Twin owner finds it useful. I know I've posted it several times here.

I don't own a Big Twin any more (more's the pity), but I sure loved the one I had, an RDS-20 Super Sea Horse. I'd still have it, but this guy with an old fin boat offered me just too much money for it. I couldn't say no. So, now it's on the back of an old Herter's boat with fins so tall they touch the sky. It's been polished up so its gold and white cowling looks like a brand new thing. I see it every now and then on my favorite lake on the back of that boat.

If I had more money, I'd find an old boat and another Big Twin and restore them to their original glory.

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ill try to answer a few post.

I think it is a javelin due to the simple fact that it has all the javiln pieces, cowl, knobs, etc...

I did rebuild the carb already...

I will adjust the idle and make it 1.5 turns out...

I am happy with this boat and im going to try and put her in the water....

wbeaton

Commander

Ill try to answer a few post.

I think it is a javelin due to the simple fact that it has all the javiln pieces, cowl, knobs, etc...

You don't have all the pieces. You are missing the front cover and the rope start cover. The Javelin cowl is the same as the regular 1956-58 cowl except for paint, decals and trim. It is not uncommon for someone to mix and match cowls on these old motors. Post your model number and we'll tell you what you have for sure. It is located on the transom mounting bracket or possibly on a silver plug on the starboard side on the engine block. White Johnson's didn't start until 1959.