do I need more power?

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi I need some advice.<br />Ihave a 15ft fiberglass invader boat and I think it's probbly under powerd right now I have a 25 hp evinrude on it and I get 20mph on gps with one person.<br />the boat is rated for 60hp I have a 35hp I want to put on do you think this is enought power?<br />the boat came with a 55hp that I would like to use but it needs lots of work.<br /><br />hers a pic of my boat<br /> http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=5833412&uid=2461186&members=1 <br /><br />I don't need to go very fast but would like to go a decent speed and I don't want to over load the motor.<br />any ideas?

JamNJ1955

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: do I need more power?

I would go with the 55 HP, I have never heard anone say My boat has too much HP...<br /><br />Enjoy<br /><br />John

mattttt25

Commander

all things being equal, if you get 20 mph with the 25hp, i'd guess you'd be at 23-24 mph with the 35hp.

walleyehed

Admiral

OR....depending on the engine (35) you have, it may gain nothing.<br />I think you are wasting time messing with a 35 on a boat rated for 60, but as to your question, "do I need more power???" More power to do what???? You need to install an engine that will allow the boat to do what you want it to do.

pirate2501

Cadet

I have an 85hp Merc on a 16' Checkmate and it does 51mph GPS the boat is hi rated on the spec plate for a 120hp, I would never try it.<br /> If your skiing go with the 55hp. If your just riding around or fishin' put your 35hp on it and save some money.<br /> Garry

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets see..."do I need more power?" and "The boat is rated for 60 hp" and "I have a 25 and a 35"...<br /><br />Do the math....

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would recommend a 55hp.<br /><br />Belchy

iron21

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It all depends on how many people will be in the boat. Two or more people; you will need the 55 hp to get above 20mph. I would guess it would do around 25-30mph with the 55. Its always nice to have the extra power.

one more cast

Captain

I used to have 14' fiberglass and I went from a 1965 35 hp evinrude to a 1967 40 hp Johnson and it made a very noticable differance. Try the 35, what do you have to lose?

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

just a point-you don't have to run at WOT all the time. A 55hp is gonna be a lot less stressed at 20mph than a 25 is gonna be and should last longer because of it-and you'll have more power available when you want it.

Bondo

Staff member

I once had a 14' Glastron JetFlite rated for 60hp.........<br />I mounted a Mercury 135hp Tower of Power.......<br /><br />That was the Only Boat, I've Ever Owned that had Enough Power................ :D <br /><br />I'd Think you'd want to be as Close to 60hp as you can Get..........

b rude

Recruit

I have a starcraft 16.5 ft. rated for a 90 hp. Have a 60 hp 1980on it now.I get 34 mph.I want to upgrade to a 75 or 90 hp.I,m worred about weight and how much more speed will I get.

walleyehed

Admiral

I want to upgrade to a 75 or 90 hp.I,m worred about weight and how much more speed will I get.
There are so many variables involved in how you would set it up, there's no good answer to that...<br />I could most likely find 3-4mph out of what you have at 90% less cost than a new outboard.

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with mattttt25 <br />25hp-23-24 mph <br />55hp-29 mph<br />less with more people<br />Be happy, enjoy life, boat lots. Batavier

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well thanks for the help the only thing I really don't like abouht my 55hp is it's hydroeletric shift.<br />I thik I can get it to run but it wount shift :( <br />The main reason I would use the 35hp is it's electric start and I'm tired of pull starting that 25hp.<br />You have a good point if I can get the 55 to shift I will use that.<br />most of the time when I go out there is only 2 in the boat.

Moody Blue

Captain

"do I need more power" - not if you are happy with it as it is. If you just want to putt around and fish with it, it is fine. <br />If you have the 35 why not try it. It won't cost you anything to try. You won't be able to pull a skier with it but you will get more speed out of it. I believe the general rule of thumb is not to use less than 70% of rate HP to obtain acceptable performance. Your idea and my idea of acceptable are probably different so only you can decide.

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well my 35hp is crap I just took off the head there is part of the pistion missing :eek: <br />and a cunk out of the other pistion :( <br />the pistions are very lose I guess it didn't cost much. :mad: <br />so all hope is on the 55hp thanks for the help

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well good news a frend of mine found a '57 35hp evinrude he got it for $50.<br />well we got it running the boat does 22.8mph with the 35hp.<br />I know I only gaind 2.8mph but it sure feels faster.<br />I would just stick with this engine but It's my frends even thought I have more money in parts in it than he paid for it.<br />I still plan to fix my 55hp but for now the 35 is good thanks for your help.