Pacific North West Gathering.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Pacific North West Gathering.

I've been out about a dozen times or more. A few times in my 16' open skiff and then the rest on the 19 footer.

I never cross on an ebb, only the flood or slack. I check with the CG by VHF for a bar report, and then I follow the red buoy line out. I usually start fishing around the CR buoy, and go north or south from there and last year I also went west as far as I could go on my limited fuel supply.

Main thing to remember is that speed is not your friend, good boat handling skills are. Go nice and slow, and stay perpendicular to the waves. It's not that bad if you pick the time and day correctly.

I did have one hairy crossing in the skiff when we miscalculated the max ebb and came in too early. Since then I always check with the CG for current info.
:cool: Your hired........:D

We were surfing on a 8' roller across on a bad day and ran out of wave.........the next coming was very humbling, i didnt know Corky could turn a boat so fast.....:eek:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Now here's some intresting info, it's no wonder Fort Steven's was booked up.

It's official!

The port of "Hammond" will be the site for the second leg of the Oregon Tuna Classic.

Hammond is the western most Oregon port on the Columbia River. With nice boat ramps and plenty of parking, Hammond will be a great place to hold this years Columbia River leg of the Oregon Tuna Classic.

The Hammond event will be on August 4th 2007. We will have good tides for best possible bar crossings, both in the morning and afternoon.

Sign up early and be sure and book your hotel reservation soon. Remember this is mid summer so the hotels will be busy.

The Rogue Brewery will be hosting the Bar-B-que, so if you stop by any Rogue before the event be sure to thank them for their support.

PM me with any questions!

Bob Stacklie
Hammond, Chairman
OTC

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=148596&highlight=columbia+river+bar

I guess there will be lot's of attention and info on the bar saturday...:cool:

woodrat

Ensign

We were surfing on a 8' roller across on a bad day and ran out of wave.........the next coming was very humbling, i didnt know Corky could turn a boat so fast.....:eek:

I try not to surf them if I can, and go slow enough to let them go under me, but not so slow as to be at the mercy of them. There have been a few times in the big boat where I got just on the backside and rode waves for a bit if it felt safe, but never ever on the very top or the trough... :eek:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

1.Haunt-confirmed
2.Gunner-comfirmed
3.Boom-high probabilty for a
smackbum.gif

4.72Sidewinder-tenative
5.Woodrat-tenative
6. Crunch....
wave.gif
Have you really left the building..;)

Iv'e had a few more pm's but nothing confirmed yet, this location is about 15 miles from astoria and very easy to get to. If perhap's anyone is intrested for the day (Friday or Saturday) send me a pm and i will give you a cell number to call to find us...:D

7. ZmoZ is a tenative

Shameless spam huh.......:D

Actually thing's are looking quite good, the Tuna guy's are forecasting good tidal current's and the oregon marine board is forecasting a great run,

Luberdude how's about a little something, something here....;)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

7. ZmoZ is a tenative

Shameless spam huh.......:D

Actually thing's are looking quite good, the Tuna guy's are forecasting good tidal current's and the oregon marine board is forecasting a great run,

Luberdude how's about a little something, something here....;)

Ocean Salmon Fishing Safety Information

Ocean salmon fishing this summer is expected to be the best we've seen in decades. Mid-coast chinook stocks
OceanScenes.jpg
are strong and liberal coho seasons will provide ample summer-long access to these exciting fisheries.
However, fishing in the ocean requires adequate skill, proper equipment and local knowledge. This page is designed to help you enjoy the fishery safely.
*Note: This is only a guide. Even skilled boat operators can be challenged by the Pacific Ocean. Unless you are equipped with an adequate boat, local knowledge and the needed equipment to monitor tides, weather, bar and ocean conditions, and navigate back to port if inclement weather strikes, we recommend you stay off the ocean or go with a charter.
Ocean Salmon Fishing Safety Information

OceanScenes.jpg
Ocean salmon fishing this summer is expected to be the best we've seen in decades. Mid-coast chinook stocks are strong and liberal coho seasons will provide ample summer-long access to these exciting fisheries.

However, fishing in the ocean requires adequate skill, proper equipment and local knowledge. This page is designed to help you enjoy the fishery safely.

*Note: This is only a guide. Even skilled boat operators can be challenged by the Pacific Ocean. Unless you are equipped with an adequate boat, local knowledge and the needed equipment to monitor tides, weather, bar and ocean conditions, and navigate back to port if inclement weather strikes, we recommend you stay off the ocean or go with a charter.

Ohh well mo da betta........
5_8_5.gif

heycods

Captain

Have fun fellas, some one dont forget to ware Lady Fishes name tag and take pixs

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Have fun fellas, some one dont forget to ware Lady Fishes name tag and take pixs

It's been a long talk of smack or formly known as BS between Boom's old barge and the High"N Tight Wellcraft.........the loser wear's the dress....errr tag.......;)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Well, I am off to head down to the first iboats NW get together!.....
Hopeully it will be as much fun as the Ruby Ridge Resort At Lake Murky, which I highly reccomend!.....;):D
Sorry ya can't make it, Murky......:(
Maybe next year....
Time to put some faces to the names......:):)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Murky wimped out? Maybe he's secretly a drag queen and doesn't want anyone to see him fish in lingerie! :D

OldMercsRule

Captain

Well, I am off to head down to the first iboats NW get together!.....
Hopeully it will be as much fun as the Ruby Ridge Resort At Lake Murky, which I highly reccomend!.....;):D

Thanks Bro! Next time bring yer sweetie fer an overnight!! Greater chance fer some abuse if ya don't have to drive home that day!!

Sorry ya can't make it, Murky......:(
Maybe next year....

You and me too Bro!!! Drive safely n' be sure to help out yer buds: (BIG OIL), with a lil' transactions at the pump here and there. Me sweetie really liked the crab you brought to RR island!! Hope ya catch some at the mouth of the big ol' river!! Say hi to TG and any others who show up!!

Time to put some faces to the names......:):)

Wish I could be there!!! Have FUN!! JR

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Murky wimped out? Maybe he's secretly a drag queen and doesn't want anyone to see him fish in lingerie! :D

Ohh now that's a visual........hmm i cant picture ol OMR running up and down the beach in fish net.........:eek:

mememe.gif
:cool:

woodrat

Ensign

OK, here's the tidal and current info I found for this Saturday at the Columbia River entrance:

here is the link to NOAA's current tables for the Columbia.

Rejoice! for you used to have to use the Gray's Harbor entrance data and a bunch of correction factors.

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/currents07/tab2pc2.html#112

Use the first Sand Island station (paste these numbers {46? 15.17', -123? 59.45'} into Google maps for an exact location of this current station) and scroll down to August. You will see that morning slack water after high tide is at 0626. If I were attempting it, I would want to be all the way out to buoy 4 or 2 by then, just to be on the safe side. Peak ebb is at 0859, 4.2 kts. That's a lot of water! The slack after the ebb comes at 1309. By 1400 or so, I would consider attempting the bar again if everything else was peachy. Peak flood current will be at 1552 +4.0kts and the next slack water comes at 1853, after which I would want to be well off the bar again.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Good info, Haunt was out there yesterday with 25mph wind's to much slop im sure. We will have to see what Saturday brings.....;)

woodrat

Ensign

I was down at the beach by the north jetty yesterday and it was blowing hard and there was thick sea fog all the way in to buoy ten.

On the plus side, I saw a LOT of fish jumping just upstream of the bridge on the WA side, including some very large kings. Of course, can't keep kings in the river this year until Aug 22.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I was down at the beach by the north jetty yesterday and it was blowing hard and there was thick sea fog all the way in to buoy ten.

On the plus side, I saw a LOT of fish jumping just upstream of the bridge on the WA side, including some very large kings. Of course, can't keep kings in the river this year until Aug 22.

By the church or steeple area?.......:D Well im in to a little combat at ten if there hittn, from what ive read the whole coast is do a lot better than last year and some of those guy's are really knockn down some Tuna which is kind of unusal..

Thank's rat hope to see ya there....:cool:

woodrat

Ensign

further upstream from the church, above the bridge in the deep hole right next to the WA shore.

I might make it down for Sat if the weather isn't too nasty. I only have the 16 footer right now.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Rat both haunt's and my boat can weather that river, no problems, been there quite a bit. The bar is the only concern and timing, i have no fear of water only respect so if you can make it.......... be there there's alway's crab, steak and wine........;)

woodrat

Ensign

what time are you guys thinking of heading out?