Love, Necessity and Pride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Love, Necessity and Pride

I didn't know good ole' Florida Boys could speak like that!!!!:eek: VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!! Next thing you know we'll be hearing about his whatchimacallit and his thingamajig!!!!!:p

craigweaver

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Gus! Wow man, I gotta stop being lazy and get back to work! You are doing an awesome job on that hull. I like the last try at the color application and you already know my affinity for hunter green :eek: You are so close to putting color on her! I hope things go well this week.

See you around my friend.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks for stoppin in and all the positive vibes, guys...most appreciated!

Welcome aboard rcxdm40...only some of the reading is actually relevant...the good stuff is in the pics...:rolleyes:

I am definitely stoked to get some actual color on this tub...hopefully this weekend will see some actual application of color...just so you all don't get your hopes up too high...here is a basic breakdown of what is to come...sooo, get the chips and dip, your preferred icy cold beverage, and some other distraction to pass the time...:p

Most of the following could be easily avoided if;
A- I could spray on the coatings, not possible in my backyard...way too many neighbors...
B- I had used a cheaper, relatively, paint alternative and used a roll-roll or roll & tip method, but since I got a premium, aircraft quality paint for the sum of FREE...I had to find a way to make it work...my labor is cheapest part of this project...

First, got some Marine-Tex to sand...couple of hours...
Second, apply a bit of primer over these spots due to break through...15 minutes
Third, after a day of dry time, quickie sand of the primer...30 minutes
Fourth, apply at least 4-5 foam rolled coats of the silver over the entire bottom of the hull, doesn't have to be too pretty, but it does have to come out pretty decent and fairly even, a very time consuming effort due to the nature of this paint...2-3 hours...
Fifth, wet sand silver with some 400 grit...2-3 hours...

The reason for the above steps # 4 & 5, is I need to have a good, thick, solid, dry base for the finish to be applied...otherwise the following "trash bag" technique will just break through all the way to the primer...

Sixth, mask off every other channel between the strakes...30-45 minutes...
Seventh, using my crumpled "Trash Bag" technique, apply a couple of wet coats and apply the "Hopefully" finished look...1-2 hours...
Eighth, when #7 is dry/finished, have to wait 2-3 days before I can re-tape, according to the Mfg. instructions, repeat on the other channels...2-3 hours...
Ninth, unmask, let dry at least a few days...then plan for the big flip back on the trailer...

So, taking all that into account, I should be done with the bottom of the hull in about a month...:facepalm:...don't forget, this does not include the sides or the cap...

Ahhhh, but then the fun continues...;)...

As usual, one of my long, drawn out, wordy posts...I guess I am a closet novelist...:redface:

And with that, Happy Monday to all, and may the weekend Hurry the "H" up...:D

Trooper82

Commander

We love reading your mini novels Gus...

and sounds like a plan...but........

why tape every other strake? doing something in two-tone?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

We love reading your mini novels Gus...

and sounds like a plan...but........

why tape every other strake? doing something in two-tone?

Thanks Troop...It makes my inner Hemingway feel good...

To answer your question, the reason for the taping is because the technique with the "trash bag" is kind of sloppy and has to be done while the paint is still wet...if I don't do it in sections, it would be impossible to get the "effect" before the paint started to dry on me...so I have to do it in sections...If you look back, I did the transom, then the two smaller sections on either side skipping a section...I don't know if it makes 100% sense...but I will try to make it clear when I actually start on the road to the finished product...

And just to prove that all of this long-winded posting has not been in vain...

I got inspired after my previous chapter, to go out and get the Marine-Tex all sanded down...hopefully tomorrow, I'll get the needed primer touch-ups applied...

Some of the areas, before sanding...

DSCF2100.jpg

and after...

DSCF2102.jpg

Believe it or not, those are NOT rain drops...you might call those beer sweats...

Areas like this is why I need to go back an re-apply the primer...

DSCF2107.jpg

After some sanding...

DSCF2106.jpg

And after a wash down...

DSCF2114.jpg

DSCF2109.jpg

Happy Tuesday, everyone...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

AHHH ! nuthin like the king of beers sweat!

Trooper82

Commander

Looking Great!!

Can't wait to see how it turns out...and I think I get what you are saying now about the need to mask...less of a chance to mess up those areas..

kwik_uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good GT, keep pluggin away mate! :)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Tuesday evening, got all the spot priming done...

DSCF2116.jpg

DSCF2115.jpg

DSCF2119.jpg

About 1/2 an hour or so, of final sanding and then time to apply base coat of silver...:)

G'nite Iboaters...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

You have really shown a lot of dedication on this build. It will pay off for you one day. I know sanding is probably not fun, but I can tell from watching the steps that you are thorough and know what you are doing.

Keep plugging along my friend.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

As the Lone Ranger would say " HI HO SILVER!!"
Lookin good GT !

jbcurt00

Staff member

I've never said this to another guy, so it is w/ not a small amount of tribulation, I say it now:

Nice looking bottom ya got there GT :eek:

Paint, bottom paint! I meant hull bottom paint! :facepalm:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Whooooo_hhhhoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

That is exactly what I said^^^...
If I get home with any energy to spare tonight, might try and get a little of the sanding done...

You have really shown a lot of dedication on this build. It will pay off for you one day. I know sanding is probably not fun, but I can tell from watching the steps that you are thorough and know what you are doing.

Keep plugging along my friend.

Thanks PM, I will...:)

As the Lone Ranger would say " HI HO SILVER!!"
Lookin good GT !

Thanks S.P. Hope to have at least the bottom..."Low Below Silver"...:eek:

I've never said this to another guy, so it is w/ not a small amount of tribulation, I say it now:

Nice looking bottom ya got there GT :eek:

Paint, bottom paint! I meant hull bottom paint! :facepalm:

Thanks JC, LMBO...[laughing my Bottom off]...
36_1_20.gif

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

no status update? We need info man....

Sorry bro, I been slackin...got home late last couple of days, had to get the house inspected by Citizens Insurance to see if they can somehow, someway raise my rates...:facepalm:

Plus, I am a teenstie bit burned out on sanding...especially after having to sand four complete cars this week for complete paint jobs...phew...crazy days...:eek:

I did get a couple of small areas knocked out, but haven't been too motivated...anyhow, this weekend I hope to git-r-dun sanded...and maybe get the required coats of silver base down...:redface:

I am off to the tooth doctor to get a "Deep Cleaning" done to half of my pie-hole...gotta numb it and all that jazz...then Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, it's off to work I go...:(

Happy Friday, Iboaters...:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

It's ok, we'll sit a spell & wait for ya to get back....

On the road again, can't wait to get back off the road again.......

Oops, sorry, gotta run.... Miles & miles to cover.............

Be back to check in later...................

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Brutha Gus,

Hull is lookin fantastic my man... Between work and the boat, I agree that's a bunch of sanding... But the future will pay off big time, drinking some suds, and catching fish with your new rig! Have a great weekend my friend!

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Gus, taking a day off can refresh your brain. I know you'll be ready to hit it hard over the weekend. We all have temporary lapses of motivation.

Sea ya...

Status
Not open for further replies.