1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1962 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

Ha Ha, you cant hide from me Mr.Wood

I finally found your rebuild and you are chugging along. If you dont mind me going over some of your work, I hope I can shed some light and help take some of that grunt labor out of your work load....

First and foremost DO NOT SAND METAL, NO NO, very BAD. The only time you ever want to sand metal is for roughing up if the surface is to be painted or welding. If you are looking to polish and make that metal bling bling, you need the help of proffesional buffing bricks which are really cheap. These are what you use to do any sanding so to speak on metal. It starts off at 2000 grit which is actually lubricated and can go up to 4-5000 grit for fine tuning your metal.

What you are looking at when looking at a reflection of metal is the light bouncing off of very minute scratches in the metal. The smaller the scratches the smoother or shinier the metal reflects the light. The deeper the scrathes the less light can bounce off the metal and goes in a multitude of directions. Another problem this causes is the underlining composites of the metal bleeding through such as if you were to get a cut and bleed.

To take paint off the metal surface, you would want to use an AIRCRAFT paint remover which is HIGHLY ACIDIC, very bad for you.So use plenty of protection. Once you follow the directions and hose off the parts you coated. You will have a clean alumium finish prepped and ready for pollishing starting at one end of the spectrum and gradually moving up the grits till you reach the results you are looking for.

I can send you more info, or pictures with what I use if you would like. I have been a metal fabricator in the military for the 8 years I served and went through every welding school there was. I love working with metal but it is really bad for your health and eyes. So I only do it as a hobbie never as a career. I also do all of the detailing for my car club which some guys pay $10,000 for the rims on the Vette's.Yup so I take metal very seriously.

As for your boat, if there is something wrong with your speedometer and you want to stay origional. I will ship you mine which is in perfect order. I purchased all new gauges for mine because I did not think I could get all of the stock ones. But you have almost everything and I think it would be awesome if you kept it origional. You can get the same style switches brand new,I purchased those for my boat. I do want to keep that stuff origional looking.

I think bench seats would look really good for your boat, which makes sense sinse that is what they put in your boat from factory. As for sewing, I am with you on doing it yourself. I know you will do a great job and the quality will be much better than the lower end seat kits on the market. I was looking and was not happy with the selection. So I myself am going to be doing the same thing with mine. Getting a sewing machine that will work for Marine vinyl and going to town.We can go through that adventure together and toss ideas.

No transom work and no deck work, I am really jelouse. But it is great news for you. The motor that came with it, what is the size and is it stock? You said a family member is building it, that was a little while ago, how is that comming? Are you painting the motor as well or slapping it on the old boat?

Ok thats good for now, enough reading for you for atleast one day.

Thanks buddy for all your input on my project.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the tips on the Metal. I DID find out that sanding was a NO NO and am now using buffing pads and jewelers rouge only. It is really starting to shine pretty good. All of my guages work so I AM going to keep them original. My BIL lives 45 miles away but we HAVE NOT started on the motor. It IS original but it is ONLY a 40 hp Evinrude. Kinda kool though becuase it is an Electric shift that is in PERFECT condition. Motor has generator too! I Will be repainting the motor. I want to make her as ORIGINAL as possible. The ONLY thing that Will NOT be original is the Steering wheel. It was destroyed during the attempt to take it off the dash. I have since purchased a CLOSE replacement off Ebay and am in the process of fabricating the parts needed to make it fit. Surgery has slowed me down as well as adding on to my shop but next week I will be back in the saddle again. I bought a sewing machine yesterday and ordered my vinyl so I guess I will be trying my hand at sewing this winter. I think it will be an adventure. Heck the worst the that can happen is I'll fail and my wife will say I told you so. The sewing machine cost me $35 bucks on Craigslist.

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great find! Gotta love those old runabouts!:D

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey thats ok brother I will keep the gauge for you just incase. As for the motor that is awesome and should suit you well. It is a bummer about your steering wheel, are you sure it cannot be fixed by a proff? $35 for sewing machine what? That rocks how do I get a deal like that? That machine is going to be strong enough for the material huh? I need to start doing some research on that I guess.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, the machine is an older Kenmore that was made to sew heavy duty upholstery.

3kb3m33lc5Q15T45P6a9r27c2d70373f81a87.jpg

You tell me is the Wheel Destroyed
Wheel.jpg

Hub.jpg

Hard to tell but the left arm piece is rotated 180 degrees. The Metal Hub is totally removed from the wheel. and is still on the shaft. Photo 2.
Yep I'd say it was destroyed.

I'm just sayin...:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Seems like steering wheels are always a challenge! :D

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Woody, the boat is looking good. I saw the tank you want to put in the bow on the other thread and I was thinking of doing the same. are you going to mount it to the deck or attach it some way to the bow cap to give you more leg room.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's a pic of my $20 replacement wheel I got on Ebay. It WAS Black but some good old Rusty' and Voila' it matches my color scheme exactly. The center Chrome Lonestar Medallion Fit Perfectly

During the removal process the steering shaft sheath, which was made from pot metal, did NOT react well to the Heat and the stress as you can tell from this pic. Broke into a Millions pieces. What to do......????

Okie Ingenuity!!!!
I bought a 3/4 inch 6" piece of Schedule 80 PVC Pipe(.79 Cents), a 1" Die to cut some threads($12), a 1" to 2" Threaded adapter($1.29) to cut off the NUT portion and Voila' a NEW IMPROVED Steering Shaft Sheath.

I guess you can tell by all the work I am doing on the Steering system, I AM keeping the Cable Steering. I am to much of a Purist to go to the Teleflex. If it does not work out, I can always make the switch later. I just want to bring her back to life as close to ORIGINAL as I can. Maybe it has something to do with being 60 years old. Don't know, just the way I am. Any how surgery went GREAT and I am feeling great and am getting excited about getting her off the trailer, flipped and onto the dolly so I can start all that wonderful filling and sanding on the hull. Gunna try to finish polishing the Splashwell tomorrow and get some pics up then.

Attachments

• ReplacementWheel.jpg
    ReplacementWheel.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1
  • SteeringShaftSheath.jpg
    SteeringShaftSheath.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1
  • YankeeIngenuity.jpg
    YankeeIngenuity.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Wood I guess I didnt see or pay attention to what motor your going to run on this. If it is a larger outboard I would reconsider using the old cable system. I am a purist at heart as well but for safety concerns I would go with teleflex. Far be it from me to tell a person how to restore there boat, Ive seen one to many cable failures and accidents from these old cable systems. By the way good job on the boat and keep it up!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It's only a 40 hp Rude' and trust me. The Steering system WILL be 1000% safe. Pulleys will All be New, Through bolted to sides and cable perfect. I WILL not be Hand Steering Her back to the dock, I PROMISE!!!

tallcanadian

Captain

Hey Wood...I gotta say, I'm very intrigued by what your doing. Keeping it all real. That takes luck and skill and you doing very well with both. I admire what your doing and am keeping a close look on your thread. I can't wait until I see the finished product..and I know I won't be disappointed. Keep up the good work.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice work on the steering system.....and the wheel looks great!

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Wood just wanting every one to be safe. I trust your judgement.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey wood,
You are doing some nice work and coming up with some pretty good ideas for obsolete part too.
Nice work and keep the pic's coming.
Bob

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice ride and nice work! I kept my cable pulley steering too. The steering wheel I repaired w/ JB weld and used Rustoleum Plastic Primer and Rustoleum Plastic paint to refinish. Turned out fine.

Hope to see more pictures as you move along on your restore.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well I built the Dolly for the Boat to sit on after the Flip. I used the 8" Pneumatic Casters from HF and some Pipe Padding form Lowe's. I think it came out pretty well. I have to put the padding on the back rail tomorrow.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The casters are rated @ 275# each so I think they will carry the load and allow me to roll her around the yard. I put the TONGUE on her to attach a Ball Hitch. My Riding Mower has a Ball on it and I can use the mower to move the boat around the yard as need. I think it will work perfect. We'll see. I get released from the Dr. Next Thursday so Maybe next weekend I can round up the neighbors and we can get her off the trailer, flipped and onto her new resting place. I feel like a NEW man now that the Gall Bladder has been removed. Hard to believe how bad it was making me feel. Hope everyone had an enjoyable Saturday and your favorite College football team WON. My OSU Cowboys DID on Thursday Nite!!!! GO POKES!!!!!!

Attachments

• Dolly1.JPG
    Dolly1.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Dolly2.JPG
    Dolly2.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 2

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice work on the cart, I used the heck out of both of the ones I built.

My team won also.....and Texas is sad! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!

Keep up the good work!

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking good wood!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Wood,
The cart looks pretty good. I hope it works for you.
Look forward to seeing the pic's of the flip.
Take care
Bob

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wood,
Great job so far. I also have an old Lone Star '58 Skylark and my stringers are metal so you might be in luck there.
When it's all painted hit me up, my folks own a vinyl lettering/sign shop and I'm going to be reproducing the shooting star and Lone Star logo decals for the sides.
Keep up the good work and good luck.
09-11-10_0800.jpg