'77 Starcraft SS 16 (freshen)

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just picked up a "new" Starcraft Super Sport. Boat title says '78, but the last two digits of the serial are 77 (which is it??). I'm not going to call it a restore at this point because I don't think it's a basket case. I mainly just hope to get it in safe/working shape by boating season. Everything seems mostly solid and it appears that the boat spent a fair portion of its life stored inside. The vinyl "seats" in the front are still usable.

The exterior mounting board on the transom (not sure what it's called) is in bad shape. At a minimum, I plan to remove the motor and replace that board with a new one (sealed with epoxy).

I suppose the transom might have been compromised, but the visible portions of it look great. The transom board still has some red paint in the exposed area of the splashwell if that's stock (don't know). I might remove the transom board for inspection if I can do so somewhat painlessly.

I would like to wait to mess with the floor if possible. The floor seems solid.

I picked it up too late in the year to take it for a spin. I planned to check compression on the motor, but that will have to wait until I can replace the failed starter solenoid.

ss1.jpg

sc2.jpg

sc3.jpg

sc4.jpg

sprintst

Commander
Re: '77 Starcraft SS 16 (freshen)

She looks to be in pretty good shape.

You might want to get a couple of seasons use before tearing her apart if there are little or no leaks.

I tore mine apart right away and lost a seasons use but should be ready for this summer.

Welcome abaord...

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice rig deadstiper...I recently tore into a non-leaking 1979 SS 16 footer and your red one looks identical in every way.

I didn't have the original cushions in the bow area so I really appreciate being able to check out your pics.

Good luck with your project:D, take a look at my yellow one if ya want to see what she looks like ripped apart, link below.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sprintst: Thanks. You just about read my mind. I think I'll replace that exterior board (should be easy) and get things tightened/sealed up. If the rest can wait, that would be great.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Huron. I took a look at your boat. It looks nice. I kind of lucked out finding this one with the cushions in the front. My kids were VERY excited to see that space. When we went to look at/buy it, they said "Look! There's a bed in front!"

I'll try to post some more pics. These were just the initial "Look what I brought home" pics. It was around 10F when I bought it, so I just wanted to get it inside before the snow started. Let me know if you want to see any better/different pics of the front area.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

deadstriper looking good . welcome aboard. Where are you located?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the Starcraft club! Nice boat. When I redid the transom on my Jupiter I left that exterior board off. Didn't seem to serve any real purpose other than to eventually separate and leak. My new project has a piece of diamond plate there which I will leave. Obviously it's up to you but if it was my boat, I would remove it and not replace it.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Pauly: Thanks. It helps to start with an easy restore :) I added my location to my profile.

Ez: My first official starcraft :) My dad had a 14' starcraft trihull that I used back in the day, but this boat will easily put it to shame. The old trihull developed a leak which filled the interior void and almost sunk the boat... oh the good old days :)

I kind of wondered about that board. I have a 1970'ish LoneStar with a closed bow that is very similar in most respects. It does not have this exterior board. I only assumed that the board might help absorb some vibration or something. I'll probably stick with a board just to keep the boat as close to original as possible. I figure marine ply with epoxy sealant would last a VERY long time.

86 century

Ensign

good look'n rig sir, A tin starcraft and a johnyrude you can't go wrong. I would like close up pics of those bow seats if you get a chance need to make some for my 18'ss. Thank you and good luck If we could just get huron to change to a johnyrude. HAHA

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wanted to add....in my opinion, you have the PERFECT motor on there for a 16' Starcraft. Optimum power-to-weight ratio and a great motor. I had a V4 85 Johnson on my 16' Jupiter and it did great but was clearly stern heavy. I think the 3 cylinder would have been better.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

86: I'll try to get some good pics up in the next week. Even though the seats have some faults (rips...), I've been thinking I need to spray something on them to help restore or prolong their life. Don't know what though.

I had a 70hp Evinrude (88 IRC) on my LoneStar that I ran until about 2003. I regret getting rid of that motor. It had tilt :-( I bought a hand motor tilter for the "new" johnson -- I'll see how I like that.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ez: To be honest, I was originally looking (unsuccessfully) for a used 70hp for my LoneStar. I ran across this boat and I was quickly distracted :)

I like these 70's and I like them coupled with a lighter aluminum hull. Back in the day, I was driving my LoneStar out of a bay w/ a no wake zone after launching and was alongside some youngsters in a big powerful fiberglass boat. They wanted to race. They didn't understand hole shot :) They got smoked. Catch me if you can! I ended up turning to head to a fishing spot in a different direction although they might have eventually overtaken me.

86 century

Ensign

That would be great striper. I have a cnc135 power tnt unit that works great on a 115johny plus it sets the eng back 6" some say that helps with hanlding and top speed. On the down side they are a little pricey new but can be found used for much less.

bananaboater

Ensign

Welcome to the SC club/cult. Your SS shows great promise if and when you get to restoring it and you came to the right place for info and advice.

That piece of ply on the stern may be a way to distribute the weight of the OB over a greater area than just the mount bracket. Rare to see a SC without it.

Albert

starcraft69a

Seaman

nice boat I love mine. I have been restoring slow so I can still use her. work out all the mecanics first. Good luck and most of all have fun.

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here are some pics of the seats (and a couple shots under the seats) for anyone they might help. Each seat is held down to the base plywood by two (IIRC) wingnuts. The seats aren't so bad, but the u-shaped seat base is VERY rotten.

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat3.jpg

boat7.jpg

boat5.jpg

boat6.jpg

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here's a pic of the SS logo just because it looks too cool to leave out.

boat4.jpg

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nice looking boat!!!! don't know what you paid but i'm sure you'll get your $ worth with some great family times. i'd be tempted to just work on some cushions for now and wait till next year b-4 getting in deep. it will give you the season on the water and time to check out these guys work to get some ideas.

welcome and good luck

joe

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

jspano: Thanks. Got it for $900. I thought it was a decent deal. Motor supposedly runs. Trailer might need some sort of shocks (the springs are super SOFT). Right now I'm just budgeting for a few items to get the thing going right away.

In the short term, I thought I might slap some seat covers on those cushions (or not) and just use them -- I'd be more worried about the backing (which would be an easy replace) but it should mostly be kiddies in the front for now. I might add a couple more seat bases for extra seating in the back (already have a couple extra seats).

I need to see what people have done for bilge pumps, and add one of those for a little extra safety. The floor definitely doesn't have a very big hole for underfloor access.