hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

Great post OOOps , and I have the same problem with bud, in my garage ???? We must have the same gremlins at our places !!! hahaha John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

sarg....posts 136 and 137....

hurry back...im gonna need help cleaning ping pong balls outta the lake :eek::D

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

john......gotta be some sort of weird interdimensional garage thing.....

i open one ...it evaporates......

i lease some there....send my guys there..(employees to deliver stuff)...and it disappears.......

ive also found beer make you do really strange things....like sitting in an empty hull with your hands on an imaginary steering wheel...making motor sounds....:eek: :eek: :eek:

now if i could just twich my nose and all the grinding would be done.

lol

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ataraxia.....

thanks for putting that mock up there...:D

sorry i didnt notice the work you put in to it sooner...:eek:

and as i said we think very alike......a few more flowing lines, and it curving continuing down into an arm rest/ beer holder/throttle support......

then theres the other side :D

man ...we gotta have a beer some time and put some ideas into motion :D

cheers
oops

jcsercsa

Captain

john......gotta be some sort of weird interdimensional garage thing.....

i open one ...it evaporates......

i lease some there....send my guys there..(employees to deliver stuff)...and it disappears.......

ive also found beer make you do really strange things....like sitting in an empty hull with your hands on an imaginary steering wheel...making motor sounds....:eek: :eek: :eek:

now if i could just twich my nose and all the grinding would be done.

lol

YEs I agree , and when your sitting behind the wheel , dont you bounce up and down a few times , [ hitting some waves } nope never done that !!!!!!!!!!!!?????? lol john

oops!

Supreme Mariner

john thats just baaaaadd!

dont wanna break the hull !:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

climbed back on the proj again last night.....did another 5 hours grinding....i had to get all the resin out from the bucket i kicked over. plus i had to rough and scuff the entire strech section...now 10 feet long....

that means grinding over 100 sq feet....if you wanna know what that is like....take a permanant fine tip felt pen ....and color the entire inside of the hull....then take a pencil eraser...and erase the whole thing...then repeat the process. :eek:
it was 10 30 before i got the first layer of glass in place and cut. ready to add resin.....

just a note....when wetting out really thick pecies of glass.....use a lot of resin to wet them out.....(im not using a wet out board...because the sheets are so heavy after wetting, the cloth streches when i pick them up...and at 10 feet long..one person cant handle the peice)......after the area is fully wetted out....lay the glass and roll it into place with no resin on the roller...use lots of pressure to saturate the glass....

after its saturated as much as possible..then add resin to the roller as needed.

i thought i was using a colder cure last night...but 3/4 way thru the layup the resin in the tray started to flash...so im gonna have to go colder yet.

ill be back on it tonight...and again tommorow...i am hoping to have the transom in and just possibly the stringers...if murphy doesnt show up!

Bondo

Staff member

but 3/4 way thru the layup the resin in the tray started to flash..

You got any Snow, or Ice out there,..??..??

If so,.... Nest your pan in a bigger 1 full of Ice.... That'll Slow it Down.....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

weve been really hot here lately 10 deg cel. around 45 or 50 i think...
so the snows all gone from the yard in working in....but as soon as i saw what was starting to happen... i opened up the big garage door and brought the temp down to 50. from 72

the resin i have is blue.....when it starts to turn ...it changes color to a goldish dark amber.....when that happens......you work your assets off even harder.!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i got back on the boat tonight.....

more glassing....i have pic's and will post them if any one wants...just ask...i thought the glassing pic's were getting boring....

it was the final layer of glass on the inside of the hull before the stringers and tramsom go in....however....! im debating on doing a full hull lay up before the strings ...just cause all the grinding i had to do on the hull... i mean why not make it stronger...right?...but its such a pita ! ill have dale from safara look at it tommorow and see what he says.

i did 3 lay ups tonight...(no grinding.:)) it took me 4 hours....

this last over lap was 20 inches fore of the last lay up and a quarter way up the transom. plus i did another matt layer on the extensoin part of the keel. this layer was just for bulk in the keel.

again my hands are raw...bodys sore ...and when i got off the hull my clothes were soaked....literally......i was wearing my goggles and resporator mask and i was swetting so bad water was pooling in my goggles....

tommorows job...do some minor grinding....install the transom and laminate the stringers.......if i can...either get a layer of the biax down over the whole hull....or bed a stringer or two.

ill be posting pic's of the transom install as well as pic's on building the very long stringers tommorow night

cheers
oops

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I admire your tenacity OOPS, keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing pictures of her in the water.

I have to admit though, reading your posts makes me glad my boat is aluminum! ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

mike...:D :D :D: :D

if i had an aluminium id probably still do something stupid with it ! :D

hey where are ya? masset or charlotte?....dnd ?

i was up there a few years ago...loved it...allmost bought some land and logged it. and no, i never drank outta the creek! but i still hope to return some day.

a really good friend of mine just got posted with the rcmp up there...
i know everybody says the rc's are jerks up there...but ive known this guy for years and he's a super person...

cheers
oops

NoKlu

The more the better when it comes to the strength of the hull. It will need lots of strength to withstand the tork of rowing back to shore with a waterski.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

noklu....do you allready know the boat?...have you seen me on the lake?????
how did you know that??......lol

welcome to iboats....

btdt :D :D :D :D

its gettin a new 383 stroker w/vp drive....lookin for 400-425 @ 6000.

im done paddeling. even had to swim in a mile or two once or twice.

Last edited:

NoKlu

It's gonna suck towing all that extra weight with the 383 and the extra 5 feet of the new hull and all with a rope in your teeth doin the backstroke.:D

NoKlu

Maybe with all that extra room you can take a cot and sleeping bag and just spend the night on the lake:eek:

Mike Robinson

mike...:D :D :D: :D

if i had an aluminium id probably still do something stupid with it ! :D

hey where are ya? masset or charlotte?....dnd ?

i was up there a few years ago...loved it...allmost bought some land and logged it. and no, i never drank outta the creek! but i still hope to return some day.

a really good friend of mine just got posted with the rcmp up there...
i know everybody says the rc's are jerks up there...but ive known this guy for years and he's a super person...

cheers
oops

Hi oops

I live in Sandspit, moved here from Saltspring/Victoria about 4 years ago. Work for BC ferries.

We have a new officer here named Josh. Is that him? Good guy.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Hi oops

I live in Sandspit, moved here from Saltspring/Victoria about 4 years ago. Work for BC ferries.

We have a new officer here named Josh. Is that him? Good guy.

his names sam....or const perrin....(i just cant get used to that).....

i used to live in victoria...was on ckda/cfms for years...even pulled a crashed war time aircraft off saltspring.....for the canadian museum of flight.

man small world..

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

It's gonna suck towing all that extra weight with the 383 and the extra 5 feet of the new hull and all with a rope in your teeth doin the backstroke.:D

ok....now yer freekin me out....:D ....who is this....jessie?...ulli ? ....you dont write with a german ak-cent so this must be jes. !

it doesnt say what area your in.

no klu...if your just clairvouant.....you dont have a klu how bang on you are.

i HAVE done the back stroke towin that barge in...with the rope over my sholder......another time i swam in from the center of the lake....feft the bote ...wrote a note...jumped in !
that was back when i had the 4 cyl..... cracked manifold....really elusive to track down the prob.....

slept on it last year...my buddie and i broke down in the middle of the lake at midnight last year....bad alternator...all gages read good....

we actually finally called a 24 hr tow boat...he gave us one of thoes jump start thingies and we roared back.....

ahhhh...the joys of boating :rolleyes:

so if you do know me...wich i think you do....comon by...have a look ...you wont beleive the change in the boat

cheers
oops

Status
Not open for further replies.