hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikgreen

Captain
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

Nah. For me, with the price of fuel, my other bills are suffering.

I won't give up my fun on the water for anything... except maybe the right woman coming along, but if she's the right woman she'll be on the water :)

Robj

Lieutenant

Nah. For me, with the price of fuel, my other bills are suffering.

I won't give up my fun on the water for anything... except maybe the right woman coming along, but if she's the right woman she'll be on the water :)

And she will have a better boat than yours. She would be a real keeper.

Last weekend Oops was planning on gelcoating the boat. Just spoke to him, sounds like he is busy getting his Bayliner running and will be posting updates soon. Hopefully tonight even.

Have a great day,

Rob.

new_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

hope he does soon
I NEED MY OOPS FIX ;):p:D

redfury

Commander

If he's anything like me, he's out boating.

It's the best part of the season here, the part where the lakes are liquid water as opposed to that hard white stuff.

I'm posting 1/10 as much as normal because every spare minute is spent working on the boat and driving the boat :)

Erik

I'm trying to muster that kind of enthusiasm in getting my basement bedroom done...I'm free to start working on the boat again once I get that project done...wish I had the money to just hire the work out! I hate sheetrock ( geez, I've been complaining about it for a while, haven't I? That's because I'm still mudding and sanding! :eek: )

Bigdaveaz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One hint about mudding/sanding,the less mud you put on,the less you have to sand off! Don't ask me how I know this.:eek:

redfury

Commander

One hint about mudding/sanding,the less mud you put on,the less you have to sand off! Don't ask me how I know this.:eek:
I'll take that into consideration :D Actually learned how to "skim on" coat(s) instead of trying to get it all nice and perfect with one thick coat....seems it goes for mud as well as it does for paint....:rolleyes:

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Oops!.

You survive the windstorm intact?

My boat and trailer moved a little but otherwise I'm undamaged. The wind did open our door on the deck that was deadbolted shut.

110kmh is pretty windy. Glad I was no where near the water at the time.

redfury

Commander

Come down to Kansas....we call that kind of wind 'Tuesday'.

LOL! I wish it'd stop raining, I'd like my tent to dry out so I can put it away! Of course, we are under a tornado watch....I may find my tent in the trees somewhere come morning! :eek:

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Come down to Kansas....we call that kind of wind 'Tuesday'.

Yeah.

But oops! and I live in paradise. We aren't supposed to get that kind of wind here.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

arrrrrggggg

i been away from the puter for a week.

soooo sorry guys....ive got it back now....so ill post daily again. (long story)

before i update....some replys.........

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Unoffficial update:

Went by last night and Oops had these plans to put a layer of glass on the transom and also on the hull as he is nearly finished fairing it. Looks really straight and this observation was made before any beer was consumed. To make a long story short, the only work that was done as of 1:00 a.m. was the consumption of a few beer and some B$ 'ing.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Did you force him to drink beer?

first of all........rob j' account is somewhat flattering......the hull is what he said .....but here is the rest of the story...........:D

i had worked all night on thursday glassing sections ....

i must have fallen asleep while glassing the keel.
when rob j showed up the next day, i was in peril ! i had fallen asleep on newly resined glass, my clothes were glassed to the hull. when rob came on friday, he saw me glassed, face down, to the side of the hull. as the resin cured, it started to contract, i was barely able to breath. rob j.....seeing me in motral danger.....sprang into action....!......
being an intelligent fellow.....and not wanting to give me mouth to mouth...
he did the best thing.....thinking quickly......he opened two corona beer....and poured them in my mouth.

like popeye with spinach, as soon as the corona hit my systym......
my hands started turning like grinders with 16 grit !....i cut my self away from the hull....!

the rest of the night was spent as rob j said....bs'in and havin fun with good friends......lookin forard to the next visit. :)

(i just love creative writing)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Oops!.

You survive the windstorm intact?

My boat and trailer moved a little but otherwise I'm undamaged. The wind did open our door on the deck that was deadbolted shut.

110kmh is pretty windy. Glad I was no where near the water at the time.

glad you were not in it bud. :)

the calabria a rent-a-boat (where my shop is) went down...(sunk) under the dock at the eldorado pier ! and the yacht club is closed for the season.
(the docks are smashed)
i was helping guys get there boats out. the calibra is ruined.

but there is tremendous oppertunity for guys like us to take advantage of the loss with insurance claims.....hunderds of thousands of dollars of parts can be had at a song ! .we are working on getting the calibra back from the insurance company !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i thought you guys might be getting tired of the endless pics of fairing the hull......

i know im getting tired of fairing it!

dale from svfarah has mysteriously dissapieared....i dont know why...we were getting to be good friends. i think he is having family dicrepencies over the amount of time he was spending at the boat.
so i had to finish the plaining surface of the boat by myself.

after countless hours of sanding with the long boards. it was time to glass the hull........it was perfect when i glassed it !....tollerances with in a 16 th of an inch...in most cases a 32 of an inch!

finally it was time to glass the hull.....
first....a layer of matt cut perfectly to the hull

picgroup51005.jpg

the matt was ripped on the edge instead of cut....this will avoid a sharp edge under the 1708 layup.....

picgroup51008.jpg

next ....the 1708 major layup was cut to fit.

picgroup51007.jpg

the sharp edges of the 1708 will be but jointed to the matt that will cover the nose of the hull, then re wrapped with another layer of csm.

picgroup51006.jpg

another layer of csm was cut to cover the 1708 as the biax leaves deep grooves of material...the matt will be used as a finishing layer...(instead of the usaual woven thin cloth).......the resin im using here is a waxed product.
the waxed will sand easily and be smoothed for the final gellcoating.

picgroup51009.jpg

to do this size of layup x 3 by myself was killer (before the resin gelled)

picgroup51010.jpg

after the job was finished, i took a 2 day break.

as this is a hull layup, with chines and strakes, (sharp corners with the glass)
no air tolerance was allowed. i used a really cold mix of resin.....(1.5 ratio). some of the resin on one side was curing while i glassed the other side. but i got it done in time, with little air. i actually really proud of that glass job. it was a killer. but it turned out really good in the chine and strake area.

next i will fair the sides. and the bow.......(i dont think it will take any where as long as the plaining surface....but no more time guesstamates!)

ill haqve more pics soon......thanks for hangin in there guys.

cheers
oops

jcsercsa

Captain

OOoohhh man buddie , these guys wanted to send the mounties out for you !!!!lol I was thinkng you were just celebrating your brthday early !!! glad to see yea john

oops!

Supreme Mariner

good to talk to u too champ.....man i missed you guys.......

im at the store today working on the little bayliner. its running like SH.....!!!!

been looking all around for a dist cap and cant find one.......hopefully soon.

are ya out on the water at all john?

cheers
oops

jcsercsa

Captain

Nope not yet all my parts are on there way , there in ohio now acording to the tracking number tue , it say to get here !!!YEEEEAAAA HHHHAAAAAAA!!!! lol and i only got two week and were on vacaton !! So i am going to be busy !!!!! what you doing for your birthday ?? John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Nope not yet all my parts are on there way , there in ohio now acording to the tracking number tue , it say to get here !!!YEEEEAAAA HHHHAAAAAAA!!!! lol and i only got two week and were on vacaton !! So i am going to be busy !!!!! what you doing for your birthday ?? John

its a drag when the boat is just sitting there and no parts ! :eek:
i fought with the little bayliner all weekend. one of the mechanics that installed the points did it wrong, so i spent a whole day, fighting with it, replacing this and that, trying to beat the saturday 4 pm deadline. (thats when all the marine stores close for the weekend).....

i had 3 professional mechanics on it......one auto 2 marine......it was don s that knew what the problem was.....cant beleive it john, he is 600 miles away, never even seen the boat, never mind taking as much as a timing light to it, and he picks the trouble spot. 3 machanics missed it. he sent me a thread that nailed it. i told the marine mech what to look for and that was the problem.

sunday was boating time...:D..... it ran flawlessly

there is a big rock festival in a place called nakusp, (2 hrs away)
its a weekend event. 19-21, then camping and boating on the 22.

what u doin 4 yours bud?

jcsercsa

Captain

its a drag when the boat is just sitting there and no parts ! :eek:
i fought with the little bayliner all weekend. one of the mechanics that installed the points did it wrong, so i spent a whole day, fighting with it, replacing this and that, trying to beat the saturday 4 pm deadline. (thats when all the marine stores close for the weekend).....

i had 3 professional mechanics on it......one auto 2 marine......it was don s that knew what the problem was.....cant beleive it john, he is 600 miles away, never even seen the boat, never mind taking as much as a timing light to it, and he picks the trouble spot. 3 machanics missed it. he sent me a thread that nailed it. i told the marine mech what to look for and that was the problem.

sunday was boating time...:D..... it ran flawlessly

there is a big rock festival in a place called nakusp, (2 hrs away)
its a weekend event. 19-21, then camping and boating on the 22.

what u doin 4 yours bud?

tooo cool Buddie, glad to hear you got her fixed, dont that just suck when you got someone on it and they cant see the problem in front of there face??? well at least you had one good day out there !!!!
Is there anyone big playing at the concert?? we are going to see Dep leopard[sp] REO, and Stylx on the 23 of Aug and were out of here the 26 for week camping dont know where yet we usally go in the U, P, of mich to munising dont think this year we are !!1 we are staying in the lower,I guess??/ allthough she was saying some thing last week about going up there???? so I dont know ??lol i just know we are out of here !!!!! john

millwood

Cadet

Nice to see you are back oops. Missed the updating, although I was gone all last week to Lake Michigan. Spent the week with the family in South Haven. Had a good time and seen lots of skin on the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.