hull extension in progress with pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfury

Commander
Re: hull extension in progress with picks

I'll have to sneak over and pick them up then. I've got an old corded Makita drill and that thing goes forever! I picked up a Porter Cable orbital sander last year to use for sanding when I don't need the grinder...we'll see how it holds up.

Oops!, sounds like we'll be seeing some real progress soon...very cool! Speaking of...it's friggin' spring and I was driving in a light snow storm to my first set of jobs this morning! Stupid boss still hasn't put new tires on my work truck...I made a real mess out of a hill trying to get up to a customers house ( the actual road to his house! ). Had to find another way around, and when I got around to his house....I slid right past it! :eek: Back around the race course to finally get into his driveway and get the work done, only to come out and watch the snow plow drive by :mad:

Just one of those springs! I wonder if I'll ever get a chance to start working on that boat?!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i was doin a sale in victoria bc...it never snows there.....when it does...its wet snow and driving is chaos...as its snow on top of wet roads...it turnes to ice in a second......so you have wet ice on wet ice......any hoo....i spun all the way to the sale 45 mins worth....doin 5 miles an hour uphill sideways...followed by a bunch of cars goin 5 miles an hour uphill sideways!!!

but springs just about here red...!!!!!!

got more updates....camera ran outta batteries again....but i got a few more pics.....here goes......

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i got a good day on the boat today.....not everything i wanted to do...but still...

after a night grinding with my crazy new flapper....it took me 3 hours to sweep, vaccume and acetone the hull......every inch of the plaining surface was acetoned....

picgroup20002.jpg

picgroup20003.jpg

i needed to mix some more gype and fill some areas around the new transom

picgroup20006.jpg

i also wanted to fill the chines and strake with gype......this is not normally done in standard restoration...but i wanted to add a full layer of glass to the hull....it is allmost impossible to get glass to go in these areas...so i filled them with the glass bubble/csm mix

picgroup20005.jpg

all minor grinding goughes were also filled in preperation for the layup...

picgroup20004.jpg

Last edited:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

one of the things i was concerned about was the keel section.....

i had ground so much out of it i could see the gellcoat thru the glass in some areas...so i wanted to add a few layers of csm in the keel before i added the peanut butter

picgroup20007.jpg

as you can see...this was not the best glassing job...but its sound and im going to fill it with the gype anyhow...so it was just a quick double layup with the 1.5 oz matt........

thats about where the camera ran outta batterys..!!!!!

after that i tabbed the transom in with two layers of csm in 2 inch overlap...and then a big 24 oz with a 4 inch overlap......

ill have pics of the tabbed transom tommorow.....

i fully filled the chine and strake areas with peanut butter....

it was starting to get late.....(i stopped for a few hours to listen to the hockey game.....our local team is in the playoffs.....)

tommorow after work...ill regrind the gyped areas.. :eek:..re vaccume the boat and re-acetone it....then ill finally get the huge layup started.
when thats starting to kick... ill start the lap joints on the stringers...i hope

redfury

Commander

It's a good thing that my wife doesn't read the forums I post on...otherwise I'd say that you are making me look bad! :D Nice work so far. I really can't wait to see the finished product. The amount of labor you have into this is intense!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

these are picks of the transom being tabbed in.....first with a 1.5 oz csm...then the 24 oz biax the biax is on the sides.....and you can see the chopped strand on the bottom of the resin whetted transom

picgroup21001.jpg

you can see the six inch overlap to the hull and transom

picgroup21002.jpg

got back on the boat today after work...the job today....was to grind the hull..then acetone the old section of the hull and prepair for the big layup....

the hull was acetone d a total of 4 times before the layer was added....

you keep hearing me whine about these big layups.......this the length of the boat......

picgroup21004.jpg

this is the length of the layup....just shy of 100 square feet

picgroup21003.jpg

each peice of cloth is custom fit to the area....then the area is whetted out thoroughly....the cloth applied....and the glassing begins.....

picgroup21005.jpg

this cloth is very thick and drinks resin....for a proper layup it takes my full weight on the roller...rolling back and fourth....without moving the cloth....after 5 mins of this...im totally soaked with sweat.....
this layup took me an hour and a half just to glass

picgroup21006.jpg

my team won tonight for the second straight night...so i was feeling good and ready for some more.....

i couldn't glass the other side of the hull as i have no place in the boat to stand......i use a really slow cure on the glass because the legnth of the layup
so i cant stand on the wet glass....

im using the out door ambient temperature to control the kick of the resin...the hotter the room the faster the kick...so i use a cold room to do the layups...and when im ready....close the big door and stoke the wood stove....i can raise the room temperature from 45 deg ....to 90 in a matter of minits if i wish....

i had previously cut sections of the stringers and i wanted to lap joint them together. that would give me a 24 foot long piece of plywood.

so i started to do the main stringer.....ill post picks tomorrow of the lap joint process......after i made the long main stringer....
i stoked the wood stove...and left for the night..

.tomorrow...re sweep...vacuum and acetone the hull.....finish the hull layup and build the other stringers

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what are you going to use for stringers there are a lot of new projects on the market now.

www.bigwoodenboat.com

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what are you going to use for stringers there are a lot of new projects on the market now.

www.bigwoodenboat.com

standard pt ply......im going with the origonal 3 stringer sysyem....

i will be adding an additional 2 stringers over the extension section......kneed to the transom.......

and two peices of ply 5 ins thick across the hull gunwhale curve...this will be 3 stringers and 4 support partial stringers across the extension section....

i looked at composite stringers very seriously....but being in canada ...access is limited and the cost factor plus shipping & duty...made that decision an easy one.

Robj

Lieutenant

Looks great, one thing I see in all your pix besides progress are the empty Corona bottles. Are those props that Corona is paying you to include in your pix?? At least is seems like you are having a good time working on it.

Have a great day,

Rob.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

im gonna have to return all thoes bottles AND mortgage the dog and cat just to buy ONE tube of 5200.....:eek:

omigosh !!!!!....just about fainted when i saw the price...felt like a sucker when i walked out with 5 tubes.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

what ya need 5200 for?

jcsercsa

Captain

looks really good oops your really moving along !!!! John

jcsercsa

Captain

hay buddie ,didnt some one say that stuff gets to hard to bed the stringers in ??? John

oops!

Supreme Mariner

most of the books ive got say to bed them with 5200.

but that dont mean nothin.....im a few days away from bedding them...(with my schedule)......

more searching.....and id love to take that stuff back.......

ill look....if you see where it was let me know

cheers
oops

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can bed them in most anything, it's mainly just to hold them off the hull. The strength that 5200 may add will never be used, the glass will be doing all the work. 5200 will fex and stretch much more than the glass used to hold the stringers in place, so the glass will have totally failed before there's much stress on the 5200, or what ever else is used to bed them.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

thanks rvr....

in that case.....ill check into pl 9000.....

and take that stuff back....that stuff might be great...but thoes are little tubes for 24 bucks a tube.....

Robj

Lieutenant

Why don't you just use peanut butter to bed the stringers??? I think that is the easiest way and best way, Ondarvr can correct me if I am wrong. I did alot of research when I did mine and that is the way I did them. With regards to 5200, I have bought it from Acklands and it was only around $12 per tube. You can also use Sikaflex which is more less the same and it also costs about $12 per tube. With Acklands they do not sell to the public but all you have to do is buy it under your business.

Have a great day,

Rob.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

im just a wee bit leary of the peanut butter rob....i want a little flex. i dont know what it will matter with them being glassed in and all. but i just want a little flex under them....

i woulda spent the whole day on the boat today.... but i woke up with a cold....i been sneezing all day....cant afford to take time away from work as my girl is outta town for the next two weeks and its just me here

cheers
oops

JustJason

Vice Admiral

If you've got them in B.C. you can get 5200 at home depot for 7 bucks a tube US dollars. (small tubes)
Hey oops... just curious. Was the layup front to back part of the original plan. Or did you decide to do it to help minimize hinge points?
Any shots of the outside of the boat where the extension was done?

Status
Not open for further replies.