Wow!!! My next restore....1968 or 1967 Starcraft Chieftan aluminum boat

fishingron

Seaman
Re: Wow!!! My next restore....1968 or 1967 Starcraft Chieftan aluminum boat

Well, this is a sad winter day......I decided over the last couple of days that I simply do not have the time or the money to invest any further into my dream of restoring my beautiful Chieftan. We have a son going away to University this fall, and how can I justify spending extra money, when money is already tight, to be put into a boat that will not be ready for water for a few years. It does seem like many people go through this on the forum but I thought at the beginning that this was going to work out. So, I let go of the dream for a while and get our son off to school and help him out the best way we can. Hey, there are always other boats out there.
I have just started to advertise my boat, the sad thing is if I do not at least break even, I have found out I can get more for the boat to cut it up and scrap it and maybe sell off some of the good parts like teak swim platform, caps, trolling motor bracket etc. I can probably get something for the engine/outdrive too. BUT, I really do not want to cut this thing up, it is too nice, too worthy of restoration so I hope the universe will find her a good home. Folks, we do what we have to do sometimes. Sad day.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Wow, bummer Ron, really sorry to hear:blue: Painful man.

These bigger boats take a bunch of comittment, time and money.

Listen man, don't cut it up though. Please! We have seen these 22 footers bring around $250 - $350 for scrap. Just not worth it to throw away an old rig that can be something again ya know.

If you get to the point of scrapping, pm me, I'll come get it! Ontario isn't that far away:thumb:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear this, Ron. Time and money often get in the way. All part of the learning curve. I hope you can sell her in one piece. And when the stars align for you another tinny calls your name.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

This is a sad way to end your project. Very sorry to hear it. I just saw your thread for the first time today, and, as I'm about to start a Chieftain restoration myself, was pretty excited...until this page. Best of luck to you and I hope your boat ends up in caring hands.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi Ron,
As always, Life seems to get in the way of us trying to have some fun...
But don't fret...the most important thing is your Family first...
The fact that you are helping your son get a chance to further his education is worth more and will give a higher return in the end...
I am positive that the Chieftan will find a good home, and in time, Life will smile upon you with another opportunity to get you and your family into some great boating adventures...
Warmest regards and kind wishes...
Gus

fishingron

Seaman

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies and understanding. All of you understand how hard this is.
At Jasoutside......I will definitely keep you in mind should I can not sell this locally. It was always my dream to restore this boat and get it back into the water, it would tear my heart out to just cut it up.

At chemicalwire.....PLEASE do not let my situation deter, or demotivate you from your own restoration, of another Chieftan!!! I am excited for you!!! Life is life, right? For me, things just changed. This is not the end, believe me. It is really in me, I love restoring these boats but for now, this one will have to wait while I deal with greater demands in my life. I would love to see someone else restore this boat, I do know it can be done. I learned so much from my last boat restore, not to mention how many hours, days or is it now months????? LOL sitting in front of the computer on this forum, reading thread after thread, learning and learning.....that is part of the fun too.....and watching the work of others transform tired, old boats into works of art!!! There is a passion for this in me!!!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

At chemicalwire.....PLEASE do not let my situation deter, or demotivate you from your own restoration, of another Chieftan!!! I am excited for you!!! Life is life, right? For me, things just changed. This is not the end, believe me.

Oh, no worries, man. I spend my down time at work thinking about this project...which has yet to even begin beyond pulling her home. I'm WAY into it. I just need a little mild weather. I hope you make your way into another big Starcraft sometime in the not too distant future. This will sound pretty obvious, 'cause it is, but is there any way you can just store it on your property for now?

...and I can also personally attest to the amount of time one can spend perusing threads on this site. It's pretty awesome.

Cheers.

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's the thing about boats, it don't hurt to button them up good and let them sit for awhile until you are ready to get back to them. Just don't forget to check on it every now & then.;) Have had the same thing going on around here lately; looks like my tub is going to have to be mothballed for a bit with an impending move in the near future. Hopefully I can find a place that has a pole barn i can keep her in.

fishingron

Seaman

Options......I have thought about letting it sit too, just not sure if I want to do that. I lack a garage right now to work on this too. And, we could be moving in a few years as well, hopefully to a home with a pole barn or garage. Because I need to spend extra finances elsewhere within the family, the boat would likely sit for a long time. I think it is one of those things where I could just use the money now, sell it and then it won't be tugging at me all the time to keep up with the restoration. I do know this.....there will be more boats out there.

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm in the same situation with the garage; it won't fit.
1222121305_zpsb50c9124.jpg

But yes, other boats/projects are sure to come along they are always out there. Really just depends on how bad you need the bucks I guess. I remember growing up, we had an old wooden Trojan sitting in our barn that a guy stored there, and he finally showed up about 8 years later to pick it up to begin the rehab process. Would have loved to seen that boat when he finished with it. And there I go rambling....

fishingron

Seaman

Very funny! I am sitting here looking at your boat, and thinking Wow, that is nice, what a nice project.........smack myself in the face, get to my senses, see......I am trying to get rid of one, and already thinking about what it would be like to get another!!!LOL
I think this boat restoration "bug" must have a medication for it!!LOL

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Bummer on selling having to put it on hold... Mine is in DryDock mode right now. I have a tractor motor to finish rebuilding and get up to stuff... then a little 74 112 deere motor ot redo for spring tilling.... Something always sneaks in front of it.