Wow!!! My next restore....1968 or 1967 Starcraft Chieftan aluminum boat

fishingron

Seaman
Re: Wow!!! My next restore....1968 or 1967 Starcraft Chieftan aluminum boat

Hi, Thank you so much for the help on the wall removal! Yes, it makes perfect sense to me the way you described it. There is always a trick to some things. I was not thinking that I had to remove the door trim. I was out there last night with a portable light and the bugs trying to figure this out. I had the door off, but still no luck. It was funny, because everything else on the boat seems to come out just fine but that wall was a test. I will get at it today!!!! The wall is coming down!!!

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi,
Grandad....Thanks for responding to my thread!!!! Yes, it was your thread that I saw and it was so great to see the pictures of how you went about fixing your ribs and hull. At this point I do not see any rips in the hull but I agree while it will be all apart, I would like to strengthen that section of ribs/hull. By the way, on your boat, with the hull splitting, what did you do to seal it on the outside, did you cover that up on the outside with a patch too??

Hi Ron, I didn't add anything to the outside. The 5200 in the sandwiched patch on the inside oozed out through the cracks. I just smoothed out the excess material and let it set. I haven't painted the area yet. I don't think an outside patch is necessary and could cause some some turbulence and drag. Sending you a PM reply also. - Grandad

Engineer719

Cadet

What a beauty! Good luck!

fishingron

Seaman

Well, more work taking apart this big tug.....off with all of the storage tops...

IMG_1035.jpg

Up right at the bow, I do not know why the holes in the decking and I have no idea what the two large threaded rods are for. ???

IMG_1037.jpg

The door and half of the cuddy wall out....

IMG_1058.jpg

The last piece of decking is out!

IMG_1059.jpg

I decided to cut the cuddy wall in half so I keep working on the wiring removal, and have the helm in place to try to get my engine started or to turn over to do compression testing etc. I need to put on a new starter, coil, wires etc to do that. The engine was winterized and the oil in the oil pan looks good. I just sure would feel better knowing what my compression is on it and to get it to turn over and bark. I know I have no water hooked up to it, just want to be sure. Then, I am going ahead with the engine removal, transom plate and get that old rotted transom out of there. Oh ya, I have to start working on building my portable tent shelter to house this thing so I can work on it inside too.

IMG_1060.jpg

fishingron

Seaman

I had to leave the project for a bit, came back in the dark, went out with a light and just found a total of 4 ribs, all on the port side that are very finely cracked at the ends, not as bad as the one in the photograph. Surprisingly, there are no rib end cracks on the starboard side. So, now to finish cleaning up this floor, scrub it out, power wash and then try to figure out how I am going to reinforce those ribs and hull. I have some ideas, need to think on it some more. I know this boat won't be in the water this weekend!!!!

Here is that photo of the one rib, it is the worst of all of the 4.

IMG_0985.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Making good progress on the tear down Ron:)

Bummer on those ribs buddy, shoot.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

What kinda fridge is that in that cabin? I was wondering if a guy could put a propane/electric one like you see in the RVs these days in a Cheiftain..... Anyone done that?

fishingron

Seaman

Hi ShowMeGuy,

The fridge that was in the cabin was a ice box style, no compressor or electricity. It is just like the ones you would see in a pop up camper trailer. I am sure you could install an electric one from a trailer but I wonder if the compressor has to be special to handle the pounding and vibrations of a boat.
I chose to get rid of the whole cabinet/fridge as I wanted more space in the cabin and also a spot for a marine cooler for all the fish I hope to catch in this boat someday.

fishingron

Seaman

The progress has been very slow, now I have more time to get going again on the boat.......
Question: I still have to deal with fixing/reinforcing those cracked ribs on my hull, Grandad has given me some great advise, however, I am very nervous about removing perfectly good factory rivets if the need arises, could I not just fabricate a " L " shaped piece of aluminum and then weld it on top of the ribs and also to the side of the boat,,,,,instead of rivets......the big question being, Is it OK to mix welded aluminum with riveted aluminum on this boat???? What I am wondering here is when the boat flexes, and I assume it flexes at rivet points too, if I start mixing in welded spots.....am I asking for trouble like the aluminum splitting open where the welds are?????
OK, I guess I had more than one question.....just would really appreciate any advise on this.
Thanks!!

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Ron, I agree with your concern about welding something that flexes. My fix bridges the ribs with a stiffener that is riveted to the end of each rib only by the 3/16" pop rivet that sandwiches the stiffener between the floor and the rib. The floor is also pressed to the ribs by the plywood sidewalls that had to be hydraulically eased into position to counter pressure from the gunwales. I believe the strength of the boat is a product of this collective reinforcement, each component strong, yet able to flex. A weld concentrates stress at points. I suspect that welding could be a stronger fix temporarily, but may also fail with use over time.
By the way, mine's back in the water and she's dry as a bone now. - Grandad

dozerII

Admiral

I agree with Grandad, welding could lead to bigger problems down the road. An aluminum stiffner properly riveted and sealed will handle vibration and flexing better.

fishingron

Seaman

Thanks, it is funny, always follow your gut instinct and that is what was getting me.....I figure 40 years ago, they knew how to weld aluminum boats but Starcraft chose to rivet them, not unlike many other things like transport trucks and airplanes and it was welding that was bugging me, even though it may work, but it might not work as an entire unit with the rest of the boat. I have seen the factory plates that Starcraft sells to repair the rib end cracks and they are also riveted in. I guess I just have to take this project on knowing I can learn how to rivet too like everything else I am learning along the way. Thanks for your advise and have a great weekend.

fishingron

Seaman

New Question...... How much do you think my 22ft Starcraft Chieftan weighs with an inline 6 in it? I need to assume let's say a full fuel tank in there too as weight. (no tank yet, assume 30-40 gallon) Reason is....I need to get my trailer road ready, the present braking system including the brake hubs are rotted out, I would think to put brakes back on the trailer, I would need a total overhaul of all new parts which I think would be expensive. This axle is the original axle and original surge, mechanical braking sytem. If the weight is under 3000lbs gross weight ( I assume including the trailer) then I can go with replacing the axle and just use idler hubs and save some money.
Thanks for the help and advise,
Ron

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You should be under that 3K mark. I'd guess 2600 maybe 2800 ish.

fishingron

Seaman

Hi Jasoutside....I am guessing in that range too, I thought I saw it on the posts before about the boat weighing in about 1800lbs, but I am not sure....I also posted this thread on the trailering forum too.
Thanks,
Ron

fishingron

Seaman

Hi everyone, I am awaiting the arrival of a new axle and in the mean time I started doing some more paint sanding. OK, this 22ft hull is looking bigger all the time!! I am thinking about using some paint stripper and I have a question regarding the use of that chemical. From some posts I have read, people apply the paint stripper, then use a power washer to clean it off the boat hull. I have concerns about the paint stripper residue......the chunks of paint and paint stripper that will go flying around on the lawn etc. Do those chunks of paint stripper stay wet and gooey and toxic?
I will lay a tarp down, it won't catch all of it, but just have concerns about those chunks of paint stripper.,
Thanks for your advise,
Ron

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you start paint stripping the hull begins to grow. Old paint must keep it under control and stop the natural expansion, even on 12 footers. LOL

Use a plastic scraper to remove most of the softened paint. Allows you to keep the flying crud to a minimum. Use the pressure washer to get around rivets and seams. Hope this helps.

fishingron

Seaman

GA Boater.....I like your thoughts on the hull growth......last night after I nearly finished sanding the back of the transom down to bare aluminum, I stepped back and thought, OK, this looks bigger than before!! Then, I looked at the rest of the boat and thought I had better seek the advise on Iboats for the paint stripper idea!!
You helped me out with my question, however, I am still wondering about those stripped off paint chunks. Do they eventually just dry out and harden? My thinking is I don't want this stuff on the lawn next to my car shelter for years, staying wet and gooey and getting caught on my shoes everytime I walk on it. I am thinking I could shop vac any pieces that stray off the tarp too. Any thoughts on this?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Forgot about the yard bits - It's an age thing. :redface: The solvents or magic ingredients evaporate and the globs harden up again. How long depends on which stripper you use. The sun helps too. I still think the scraper is the easiest way to remove the majority. Scrape and knock off in a can or cardboard box and that's a bunch of globs not making it to the grass or the bottom of your shoe.

If you use a vac, be careful. Some strippers give off explosive gas and vac brushes spark a lot.

fishingron

Seaman

Perfect, thanks for the advise on this, oh and on the shop vac use too!! That is not how I would want to strip my boat......by explosion!