winter restoration work-heating a garage

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer
Re: winter restoration work-heating a garage

I got curious and decided to look it up. First of all, the Chicago Municipal code are available online at the following link.

http://www.amlegal.com/library/il/chicago.shtml

Section 15-25-540 lists the areas where LPG is prohibited. Here is what it says:

15-26-540 Where prohibited.

Except as otherwise provided, the storage, handling, keeping or using of any liquefied petroleum gas for any purpose is not permitted in any building or structure containing in whole or in part the following occupancies, except as provided in Sections 15-26-545, 15-26-550 and 15-26-570 of this Code.

1. Institutional units as defined in Section 13-56-050;

2. Assembly units as defined in Section 13-56-070;

3. Open air assembly units as defined in Section 13-56-110 of this Code;

4. Multiple dwellings, except those designed or intended for an occupancy of less than 20 persons;

5. Business units as defined in Section 13-56-120;

6. Mercantile units as defined in Section 13-56-130, except 50 one-pound cylinders may be stocked for resale to the general public.

Nowhere in there does it say anything about detached garages. Not telling you what to do, but if someone from the city told you that you can't store propane in a detached garage, they need to tell you where to find the law that prohibits it. I couldn't find it.

You're right about that code, but this code states otherwise (not necessarily black and white as an attachable garage):

15-26-140 Fume hazard gases ? Storage and handling.

The storage or handling of fume hazard gases shall comply with the following requirements:

(1) Containers having a pressure of 15 psi or less or a quantity less than 2,500 feet may be stored in suitably ventilated cabinets located outside of the main building, adequately protected from extreme heat and accumulations of snow and ice; if within a building they shall be in rooms complying with the preceding sections. No combustible material shall be allowed in such rooms or within ten feet of an outside cabinet. Quantities in excess of the above limits shall not be allowed in any building other than a fume hazard building complying with the requirements of this chapter.

I know, it's a little gray, but a building is a building. And by chicago codes, a garage is not a "structure", but a building.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

funny how on a boat site we are all talking about heaters! I was looking at the geese walking on the ice on the pond by my office today! Can't wait for summer!

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

well, the heater is the only solution to help us get over the winter boating blues. for those of us in the northern regions of the country, just letting our boats sit there is a little depressing.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You're right about that code, but this code states otherwise (not necessarily black and white as an attachable garage):

15-26-140 Fume hazard gases ? Storage and handling.

The storage or handling of fume hazard gases shall comply with the following requirements:

(1) Containers having a pressure of 15 psi or less or a quantity less than 2,500 feet may be stored in suitably ventilated cabinets located outside of the main building, adequately protected from extreme heat and accumulations of snow and ice; if within a building they shall be in rooms complying with the preceding sections. No combustible material shall be allowed in such rooms or within ten feet of an outside cabinet. Quantities in excess of the above limits shall not be allowed in any building other than a fume hazard building complying with the requirements of this chapter.

I know, it's a little gray, but a building is a building. And by chicago codes, a garage is not a "structure", but a building.

Yes, but the definition of "Fume hazard gasses" is:

?Fume hazard gases? means ammonia gas, chlorine gas, phosgene gas, sulphur dioxide gas, chlororipicrin gas, cyanogen gas, hydrogen cyanide gas, nitrogen peroxide gas and other gas which has an equal or greater danger to life; and any other gas which, as determined by the committee on standards and tests, is in fact a poisonous irritant or corrosive gas and is not susceptible to fire or explosion, shall each be defined as a fume hazard gas.

Meaning gasses that kill you by inhalation. I would say that the specific regulations for LPG apply in this case.

erikgreen

Captain

?Fume hazard gases? means ammonia gas, chlorine gas, phosgene gas, sulphur dioxide gas, chlororipicrin gas, cyanogen gas, hydrogen cyanide gas, nitrogen peroxide gas and other gas which has an equal or greater danger to life; and any other gas which, as determined by the committee on standards and tests, is in fact a poisonous irritant or corrosive gas and is not susceptible to fire or explosion, shall each be defined as a fume hazard gas.

Meaning gasses that kill you by inhalation. I would say that the specific regulations for LPG apply in this case.

This seems correct. You can in fact inhale LP gas and it wont' kill you of itself, only via displacing all the air (and oxygen) or igniting is it a problem.

Personally, I keep the tank outside the structure anyway for extra safety... I find a spot to put it out of the way and under a tarp or shelter and run the hose inside, that way a leaking tank will just disperse gas outdoors instead of having enough collect to explode. That's pretty much how rural houses around here use LP.. huge 200-ish gallon tank outside with piping running into the house.

Erik

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Azonic..lets see a pic of that drip can heater ya have..I cant envision it..

Layed down some poly& CSM yesterday on my transom first experience with poly and glass...holy mother father...that stuff stinks..had my respirator on..and my heater ..I was paranoid with the fumes..so had the geerage open 1' and garage side door open for cross ventilation...I survived..:rolleyes:

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

This seems correct. You can in fact inhale LP gas and it wont' kill you of itself, only via displacing all the air (and oxygen) or igniting is it a problem.

Personally, I keep the tank outside the structure anyway for extra safety... I find a spot to put it out of the way and under a tarp or shelter and run the hose inside, that way a leaking tank will just disperse gas outdoors instead of having enough collect to explode. That's pretty much how rural houses around here use LP.. huge 200-ish gallon tank outside with piping running into the house.

Erik

If you think 200 gallons is huge, come to my house. I got a 1,000 gallon above ground tank that feeds my barn and house.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I forgot to mention that the above definition is a cut and paste right from the definitions in the Chicago Municipal Code.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, I saw that. Thanks.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I like to heat the garage then fill it with halon gas so no fires can start..........

TitanTea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There seems to be a lot of positive experience using diesel fuel in kerosene heaters on this board. When I search the web on this subject this is the only site with positive reviews? All other info I found is very negative. Most of the reviews involve words like dirty and smelly. Very smelly actually. I'm leaning towards diesel because of the cost but I dont know if I want it smell worse than kerosene because IMO kerosene stinks! Can anyone give more pros and cons to the two fuels? I just received a torpedo style heater for xmas that will burn both fuels.Thanks Santa!! :confused:

chambers1517

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a garage I always use my heater in. I always use diesel since I keep some on hand for my tractor. Never noticed any smell from it. I was going to be working on finishing my basement which was unheated at the time. I decided to get some kerosene since I would be working in the house. I immediately noticed the smell and my wife started complaining within 5 minutes that I was stinking up the upstairs. I opened the downstairs doors and aired everything out while I drained the tank ane refueled with diesel. Never smelled it again or had any complaints from the wife after that. Diesel is cheaper also.

skargo

Banned

How about this?

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007/04/26/almost-free-garage-heat-just-drink-a-lot-of-soda/

solarbox_1453_resized.jpg