winter restoration work-heating a garage

Bondo

Staff member
Re: winter restoration work-heating a garage

Ok, I checked the chicago city ordinances.
I'm thinking that being in the city where structures are as little as few yards away from each other, the city doesn't want any "explosions" to occur. Though that's my own conjecture.

Ayuh,.... Probably because of that Nasty fire they had awhile back,......:D

I've got an ole oil fired furnace out of a housetrailer....
I mounted it on a mover's dolly, with a 5gal. fueltank on the side...
I push it to the area I'm workin',+ plug it in,....Instant Heat,...;)

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If I followed every law I would never have any fun.

redfury

Commander

I also have a kerosene heater, 125k btu readdy heater i actually switched to burn diesel in mine is costs less, and the smell is almost zero,doesn;t burn the eyes or aything. Kerosene in ohio is around 325 + tax diesel is 280 on the high side. it heats my 21/2 car garage to near 80 in 30 mins. I initally get it that warm to warm up what im working on then turn it down to about 60-65.

Anything special that needs to be done to run Diesel in them? I inherited one from my dad and was going to go through it and make sure it was 100% before I used it, and when I saw the price of Kerosene..well, I'm not all that motivated to run out and get it working right away :rolleyes:

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anything special that needs to be done to run Diesel in them? I inherited one from my dad and was going to go through it and make sure it was 100% before I used it, and when I saw the price of Kerosene..well, I'm not all that motivated to run out and get it working right away :rolleyes:
Not really but i do recommend every year or 2 get a tune up kit, it includes a new filter for the pump and pump gasket, new fuel filter and if it is a little older and uses a spark plug for an ignitor a new plug as well, then adjust fuel pump pressure for optimal burning, let me find the web site it tells you how to do all of this in 15-20 mins. couple hand tools and a vaccum/ pressure gauge up to like 15 psi to do it. it costs like 20 bucks or so. it cleaned mine up alot and its only 4 years old if that. lemme find that website, ill post it here.

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok found the site on the left its the tips and tech for pump pressure,and how to find model number. (ya it may be 125,000 btu but there is 15 diffrent model numbers) then you can order what you need even have replacement parts. www.reddyparts.com When i ordered mine got them 2 days later.:)

markwln

Cadet

Look up Mr . Heater. They attch directly to the barbecue size propane . I use one in my garage. Price is good around 60 dollars around here. Hope this helps yah. GOOD LUCK

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Ok, I checked the chicago city ordinances. No, I cannot store a 20lb tank in the garage even if it is detached because the tank is pressurized above 15psi. I'm thinking that being in the city where structures are as little as few yards away from each other, the city doesn't want any "explosions" to occur. Though that's my own conjecture.

I got curious and decided to look it up. First of all, the Chicago Municipal code are available online at the following link.

http://www.amlegal.com/library/il/chicago.shtml

Section 15-25-540 lists the areas where LPG is prohibited. Here is what it says:

15-26-540 Where prohibited.

Except as otherwise provided, the storage, handling, keeping or using of any liquefied petroleum gas for any purpose is not permitted in any building or structure containing in whole or in part the following occupancies, except as provided in Sections 15-26-545, 15-26-550 and 15-26-570 of this Code.

1. Institutional units as defined in Section 13-56-050;

2. Assembly units as defined in Section 13-56-070;

3. Open air assembly units as defined in Section 13-56-110 of this Code;

4. Multiple dwellings, except those designed or intended for an occupancy of less than 20 persons;

5. Business units as defined in Section 13-56-120;

6. Mercantile units as defined in Section 13-56-130, except 50 one-pound cylinders may be stocked for resale to the general public.

Nowhere in there does it say anything about detached garages. Not telling you what to do, but if someone from the city told you that you can't store propane in a detached garage, they need to tell you where to find the law that prohibits it. I couldn't find it.

drewpster

Commander

I have a suggestion. I live a pretty warm climate, but one year during hunting season we insulated a 6 man tent using plain old plastic sheeting. We hunt in the mountains and I always take a spare roll of the heaviest stuff I can find just in case it is needed. We wrapped the tent in plastic and were quite comfortable in 10 deg temps using a couple of propane tent heaters. The heaters we use are rated for tent use, but just to be safe we ventilated the tent anyway. Even with the door zipper down a few inches and the windows zippers cracked we were quite comfortable. (black cat or black max Coleman heaters)
If your rental will allow it, try stapling some plastic around the interior walls of the garage and tape it down to the floor. For about $40 bucks you may be surprised how much it helps. Just make sure you allow for some ventilation.
After all, I had to come out of my sleeping bag a couple of times last year because I was too hot in our tent. Next morning there was snow on the ground.

Genonbamagirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live in the south where the temps don't really get very low most times. We have a 50'x100' metal shop that is not insulated and is very tall. I inherited it from my stepfather who was a heavy equipment mechanic and needed to pull dump trucks inside to work on them at times.

A large deisel powered torpedo heater does the trick for us (it was made for kerosene but burns deisel just fine). We crank it when we get to the shop and then find something else to do for an hour or so and when we return, it's toasty warm. Your temps of 40-50 would freeze us out pretty quick though.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I am about 3 gallons of gas boat drive to canada and I use a heater that clamps on the top of a propane tank if I am working for 1 or 2 hours. If I am working longer and it is real cold I light a fire in the woodstove. Whatever you use for heat make sure you put a carbon monoxide detecter in the garage. When we had an ice storm years ago my parents heated witha kerosene stove since the power was out for 2 weeks. well the neighbor went overr to check on them and found them both passed out opn the floor from carbon monoxide poisoning. They had the heater in the garage and had a fan blowing the heat into the house. Everyone heating their garage and even your houses should get one. Sorry to rant but it scared the hell out of me. If the neighbor hadnt stopped in I would be an orphan.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

my little wood stove has two added features...(added by me!)

One is a fan box.

I built a little box about the size of a computer box to sit on top.
Then it has several fins in it, and a fan blowing..

It consistantly blows 80-100 degree air out of it...

Then right in the middle of it, down to the stove, runs a nice oil drip..

Old paint can hung on the wall, copper line running from bottom with a small valve, right to the center of the fire box...

Does AWESOME!

skargo

Banned

I have to hang this big sumgun soon. It's a 350K BTU propane fired heater. I have my electric ran, I just need some help hanging it and making the connection.
It's a Modine, originally in a car dealership shop. It's way overkill for my 30'x38' pole barn, but I am going to wire a t-stat to it.

You can see in the2nd pic where I wired it with a switch.

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
  • temp2.jpg
    temp2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

How about a little pic resizing there Slappy McBigPictures? :)

skargo

Banned

How about a little pic resizing there Slappy McBigPictures? :)

They are hosted on my website, only way to resize them now is to attach them, and attaching them costs Iboats bandwidth, while linking them to my site costs them no bandwidth.

I can take them down if you like. They fit fine on my little laptop here at work!

*edit* I pulled them down, and attached them.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I dun think the pics are too big, but whatever rules are rules. Before I clicked on the pic I thought u were going to hang a craftsman tool box :)

erikgreen

Captain

I am about 3 gallons of gas boat drive to canada and I use a heater that clamps on the top of a propane tank if I am working for 1 or 2 hours. If I am working longer and it is real cold I light a fire in the woodstove. Whatever you use for heat make sure you put a carbon monoxide detecter in the garage. When we had an ice storm years ago my parents heated witha kerosene stove since the power was out for 2 weeks. well the neighbor went overr to check on them and found them both passed out opn the floor from carbon monoxide poisoning. They had the heater in the garage and had a fan blowing the heat into the house. Everyone heating their garage and even your houses should get one. Sorry to rant but it scared the hell out of me. If the neighbor hadnt stopped in I would be an orphan.

That's another reason I like propane and NG heat... no CO generation.

I have always been a little worried about "direct vent" heaters... basically they vent into the space you're in... since they only vent CO2 it's not harmful, but something about that idea just seemed.... wrong.

But they're very clean and put out a lot of heat.

Erik

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Heat...Heat ?? sheesh,i need A/C....BBWHAAAAAAAA...I Love the South......

Sorry , couldn't resist

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

TO all of you guys that use heaters that create any sort of flame:

What do you do when you are laying down Poly? I have an infrared propane heater I could hang from my ceiling in the garage and warm the place up like crazy, but I haven't ( and have missed working on the boat) because I am afraid of the poly catching on fire. Is poly NOT that flammable?

erikgreen

Captain

I don't lay down poly that often, and when I do I tend to ventilate.

The poly resin itself is flammable, but I don't think styrene gas (the main smell it puts off) is.

For epoxy I just avoid getting it near the flame.

Either way, you have to avoid filling the air with dust to avoid a dust explosion.

To be safe, heat up the work space then turn the heat off before you do anything potentially flammable (like cleaning with acetone or lacquer thinner).

Erik

bankfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is how I am heating my garage. I can get to 80 deg in about 15 minutes. Great for working in short sleeves when it's 28 outside!! I have been using this for a couple of years now with no problems that I can tell. I have finished woodworking projects with no ill effects.
DSCN0861.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a thermostat from Grainger that controls the temp. Once it is warmed up the heater only fires about 10-15 minutes and stays on for 5-6 minutes.
Just my .02
(pics sized correctly I hope):redface: