winter restoration work-heating a garage

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer
I'm not sure if this is where I need to put this post, but I wanted to do some winter work on my boat (sort of keep my sanity while waiting for boating season). I live in Chicago and rent a two car garage to store and work on my boat. It gets cold here, and the garage is not insulated. But I'd like to know how some of you winter restorers heat your garages to a comfortable working temperature (upper 40-lower 50 degree temps).

Since I rent my garage, I cannot install any high powered heater. Also, I don't plan to do any "lamination" or fiberglass work where I need an optimal curing temperature. Any suggestions would be helpful; particularly the type of heat source you use.

Some info on limitations: 1. Electricity is limited to 110v. 2. No insulation. 3. Limited ventilation, though the garage is a little drafty.

erikgreen

Captain
Re: winter restoration work-heating a garage

Best option is a direct vent gas heater running on propane cylinders.

With no insulation the electric 110 won't put out enough heat to be worth it (you'd need 203) but the propane with eg. a 110,000 btu heater should "catch up" to the heat leaking out ok. Start it when you arrive, stop it when you leave, and even leave it at a low ebb overnight. Just make sure it has features to shut off if tipped or if oxygen gets too low.

Using fuel in tanks like that tells you how fast you're going through it. Two years ago I used a natural gas heater to heat my garage 24/7 in January in Minnesota. The garage roof only was insulated. I got the boat done, but I ended up owing $1000 in gas bills.

Whatever you do I don't recommend kerosene heat. It puts a skin of fuel and combustion products over everything in the area, which interferes with painting, coating, lamination, whatever.

Erik

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

My guess is that you will need something that uses kerosene. I used one of these to heat up the work shop at my business...did the job quickly, and safely.

69f7nq.jpg

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I live in Maine. Oh Yea, I understand cold. When I need to work out in the garage ,I start up a Kerosun Heater about an hour ahead of time and it will bring up the temp to a temp that I can work in. Maybe not in a T-shirt, But if it's about 32 out a sweat shirt will do. Always be care ful of fumes. These heaters arn,t bad ,but I wouldn't sleep out there. I think Wal-mart sells them or a alternate brand name. Ernie

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

This gets my vote for your situation...

I have insulated my shop and installed a wood stove...

I need to insulate the ceiling before I am good and warm...
But for anything above 30 and I am good...

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a fan forced kerosene heater as well

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

My guess is that you will need something that uses kerosene. I used one of these to heat up the work shop at my business...did the job quickly, and safely.

69f7nq.jpg

So if I went with something like this, would this work ok with closed doors?

Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Whatever you do I don't recommend kerosene heat. It puts a skin of fuel and combustion products over everything in the area, which interferes with painting, coating, lamination, whatever.

Absolutely heed this advice if you're doing any kind of finishing work.

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did not know that...

Looks like propane forced air super torch!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

So if I went with something like this, would this work ok with closed doors?

Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming.

We used ours in a closed workshop, with no issues. They come in differesnt BTU outputs, and ours was pretty hefty and would be turned off after just a couple of hours. Kerosene heaters are pretty common for indoor heating.

We also were doing a great deal of Bondo work and painting...and never had any of the suggested problems.

erikgreen

Captain

I don't know whether specific paints or laminating agents are more or less vulnerable. I suspect alkyd paints would do fine.

I know it causes problems for laminating poly resin and in larger quantities it can stop epoxy from adhering.

Erik

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

I just picked this up last week at Lowes..very quiet and heats up my 2 car garage space to 70 in 20 minutes. It was 20 degrees outside. I shut it down for 15 minutes and start it again.

Attachments

• 013-1.JPG
    013-1.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

I just picked this up last week at Lowes..very quiet and heats up my 2 car garage space to 70 in 20 minutes. It was 20 degrees outside. I shut it down for 15 minutes and start it again.

Is that a kerosene or propane?

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

It is Kerosene..I also leave the garage door open 6".

BobsGlasstream

Commander

jdsgrog,
I use one like the one you found at Lowe's. It does a great job in my two car garage. I have to keep shutting it off to keep it from getting to hot in the garage. My garage is well insulated though.
It is also propane.
I just wish my wife would let me put my boat in the garage. :mad:
Bob

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also use a karosene blower heater. works great, and I never had a fume problem. I have a theromostat hooked to the cord .No problem there, set it and forget it. Carbonmonoxide meter would be a good idea and take the guess work out. I sometimes use it down celler also. Great thing to have, use it anywhere you have power, or generator.

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

Kenny26 I think that heater might be the ticket, he might need two to get the job done. My brother has one and it dose a pretty good job, and it being propane wont off gas like the kerosene heater. I had forgotten about that type of heater, I might just need to get myself a couple.

Jeff

kenny26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kenny26 I think that heater might be the ticket, he might need two to get the job done. My brother has one and it dose a pretty good job, and it being propane wont off gas like the kerosene heater. I had forgotten about that type of heater, I might just need to get myself a couple.

Jeff

They make a slightly larger version that goes to 200K BTU, but i had mine set on low the other day with an outside temp in the 20s and in my 3 car garage with a triple window on one side I was too hot and had to shut it off for a while.