Why does a non-Christian welcome the celebration of Christmas?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Why does a non-Christian welcome the celebration of Christmas?

U-2,WP
emthup.gif

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bottom line is, Christmas is for the kids.<br /><br />Have a happy new year.

PW2

Commander

Holidays mean different things to different people, as it is clearly shown in this thread.<br /><br />and we do indeed celebrate the changing of the seasons, even if we tend to call them different things,<br /><br />Thanksgiving can be a celebration of the completion of the harvest--Christmas can be the celebration of the solstice--Easter can be a celebration of spring and rebirth.<br /><br />Or they can- to some--depending on their individual faith--have a specifically religious connotation.<br /><br />The problems arise when one group atttmpts to take possession of these specific holidays and have their method of celebrating it as the only acceptable one, and others resent it.<br /><br />Call it whatever name you wish, and celebrate it any way you want. Do not demand that others follow.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by PW2:<br />Thanksgiving can be a celebration of the completion of the harvest--Christmas can be the celebration of the solstice--Easter can be a celebration of spring and rebirth.
Thanksgiving can mean the start of fall, Christmas the start of winter and Easter, the start of spring. :)

crab bait

Captain

yeah but i mean ON THE DAY of the season change..

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good grief, To me <br />christmas celebrates life, happiness, and it is fun, for kids and old. So I don't care if is or was a pagen holiday, don't even care about the greedy money grabbers, it is what you want it to be. I get to see my clients as friends, treat my employees with a bonus they don't expect. Have fun with my kids, shop and think of someone other than myself for a season. I am Mormon, and as you guys know were pretty weird sometime, and the only thing the Church would like me to do, is have the spirit of giving and remember Christ always, today, tommorrow and forever, and most of all enjoy and celebrate life.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> Thanksgiving can be a celebration of the completion of the harvest--
Considering that this holiday is specifically American, how about we let it be what it is!! A feast in recognition of God Almighty's hand in the success and survival of our Forefathers, in a new and hostile land.<br /><br />Some of you people make me wanna laugh. You're bending so far over backwards, to deny the existance of God, that your back is going to snap.<br /><br />A harvest celebration indeed! :rolleyes:

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boomyal, <br /><br />The folks to the North celebrate Thanksgiving also. Albeit on a different day, because due to their climate, the harvest occurs earlier.<br /><br />It is simply a celebration of the harvest to the best of my knowledge. You can bring God into it as much or as little as your personal preference so desires.<br /><br />If its a boom crop I personally don't thank god, nor if there's a drought and crops were devastated I wouldn't blame him.

seawings

Cadet

Bassy said ....”I have beliefs that keep me close and in constant communication with my God and his son(Jesus). Christmas is a day society has decided to celebrate Jesus’ Birthday. Whether its his real birthday or not doesn't matter. Its the day to celebrate”. <br /><br />I agree with Bassy and others that believe the date isn’t important, it’s a day to celebrate one of the two most important dates in Christianity…His birth and at Easter the death of our Savior. I also believe that another hallmark of a Christian is FAITH…without it doubt creeps in and begins to erode our higher believes and allows us to “reason away” our good traits and begin the slippery decent into our baser instincts.<br /><br />What ever the date, what ever the circumstances, Christmas should represent His coming, His life and the remembrance of His teachings. Christian, Jew, Muslim or any of the myriad of other beliefs can appreciate God’s major commandment in … Joh 13:34 I am giving you a new commandment to love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not affiliated with any religion or cult in fact i find that there is as much proof of a God as there is in the existence of UFO's and aliens from outer space, perhaps one day in the future,maybe, it will become clear and beyond any doubt as to who and what are the controling force or forces of our universe.<br />In the mean time i celebrate christmas because it's financially prudent for me to do so, and besides it's a whole lotta fun.<br /><br />No more turkey please, but i'll have some more of that rice dressing Mmm! the wine is good, what is it? is that from california? excellent,Hey! what's the deal with these silly hats? here is some...... ;) :D

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Careful EF, SW's liable to shootya or something...<br /><br />:)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Elmer Fudge:<br />existence of UFO's and aliens from outer space
Hey, I resemble that. :D <br />Besides, don't bring my little buddies in on this.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

EF - to heck with the religious discussion - how about posting your rice dressing recipe.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Why you got to be like that theriver? If you cant play nice dont play at all. if it aint trolling its highjacking with you.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was it too close to home?<br />Ooops.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Posted by tcube:"EF - to heck with the religious discussion - how about posting your rice dressing recipe."<br /><br />I did'nt do the cooking, just the eating :) <br /><br /><br />It's okay theriver, SW really ain't a bad guy,regardless of what you and some folks may think of him. I know that you are familar with the meaning of the word "diversity", well it's very much applicable to Dockside chat :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Blow that horn SW. :D

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

No river didnt hit home your just a bit annoying so as far as Im concerned I just wont respond to you anymore.......end of problem for me.

mattttt25

Commander

wait a friggin second. you guys amaze me.<br /><br />theriver first posted with a silly joke (santa) and then explained how he celebrates christmas, which was spending time with family. he stated there were no religious meanings in his celebration, and that was it. harmless post.<br /><br />flatbottoms then jumps in 10 or so posts later by defending jesus and calling theriver a wimp.<br /><br />a lot of back and forth posts between theriver, flatbottoms, 12footer, dj, and ob. in my opinion, i read plenty of name calling and personal attacks from the later members.<br /><br />and after all this, 12footer writes, "Why are you here? You seem to like hitting "too close to home" all the time. Are you here just to stir-up discontent?"<br /><br />if someone else doesn't see the real problem here, i must be losing it. i can't for the life of me see how theriver is to blame for anything, while other members continually bashed him.<br /><br />btw, to answer jb's original question- i guess i celebrate christmas because i was raised celebrating it, and it's pretty difficult to ignore in the united states. i enjoy christmas as a time to get away from work, spend time with family and friends, and to enjoy the gift of giving.