Why does a non-Christian welcome the celebration of Christmas?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Why does a non-Christian welcome the celebration of Christmas?

I have another 2 cents to add.<br />These holidays were adopted by the church,so the converts would not have to give up the fun parts of their previous religion.Never forget that christianity started in an era where everybody in the existing culture celebrated these points in the yearly cycle.Nobody ever thought of giving up these holidays that counted the yearly cycles.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

PRESENTS!

crab bait

Captain

always amazed me.. that none of our holidays ,,celebrate any of the 4 seasons.. <br /><br />an excluding all the religious mumble-jumble an gobbolly-gook that modern humans base so much on.. the season changes are real an give evidents 4 times a year an are such a drivin' force of the planet ..yet it's ignored in celibration..<br /><br />typical of humans.. to look 'off world' for salvation,, when the real salvation is right here..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't disagree with you, Crabby.<br /><br />Living where I do the arrival of a new season is too profound to ignore.<br /><br />We celebrate Spring, Fall and Winter. When it is time to celebrate Summer we are all out fishing. :D

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> Seriously, for some in my family its a combination of both spiritual and family affair, for me, its an annual event to stop everything and focus exclusively on spending time with extended family. Being agnostic, the tree, lights, and other traditions set a very pleasant tone, but there aren't any religious activities around our household.
theriver, not to inflame you or anyone, bnut I have to say this...the Bible, the only Book EVER written that is 100% TRUE, and also is the INSPIRED WORDS OF GOD which were written by MEN as tehy were moved upon by the SPIRIT OF GOD, does not make room for agnostice. Everyone believes in something, even if one does not want to admit it. Agnosticism is a cop-out, completely. "Oh, I believe there is SOME kind of higher power, but I won't concede that it is GOD"...it really takes a man to take a stand in what they believe, any wimp can cop out. But, the Bible states very clearly, that if one is not FOR God, they are AGAINST Him...and there is only one other "power" that is not God...also the Bible states very clearly also, that one day EVERY knee shall bow, and EVERY tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord....it would be so much better for folks if they would make their confession now than when it is forced upon them...it will also be too late then to make a difference...

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't believe in Santa, and I don't think a book written 2000 years ago can possibly be accurate. (They thought earth was stationary-wrong, They thought the earth was flat-wrong etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc) In my opinion it was written to try and explain why things were the way they were at a time when folks didn't have many (or any) scientific answers. It was also a time when calm and order was trying to be set.<br /><br />I think religion is a good thing. It helps lots of people through tough times. Don't call me a wimp though because I have a mind of my own and think for myself. You are simply adhering to a religion you were brought up with. People get brainwashed. I scratch my head and wonder what all the fuss is about.<br /><br />BTW-If Jesus did turn water into wine that was an amazing trick. David Coppperfield can "make a 747 disappear". Imagine the following he could have had if he was born back then.<br /><br />PSS-If money is the root of all evil, why does your church keep asking for so much of it?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

So you don't believe in the bible,Jesus Christ,ect ect ect --But why do "non-Christians welcome the celebration if Christmas"? You are more "qualified" to answer this one than us Christians with clean brains (brainwashing with the truth does that, you know).<br />That would be you if you celebrate Christmas, anyhow.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Maybe the question should be, "why do Christians celebrate Christmas" seeing as it's a PAGAN holiday and all?.. :confused:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> Maybe the question should be, "why do Christians celebrate Christmas" seeing as it's a PAGAN holiday and all?.. :confused:
Orrrrrrrrrrrr, what is the PSI air flow propulsion of a full grown adult male seagull at full flight mode at 5000 feet coming in at a 30% dive?

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Answer. Not all Christians do.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Good point, Gil009!<br />Jehova's Whitnesses do not celebrate Christmas, or any other birthdays. I forgot about that.<br />And isn't the Jewish faith considered Christian?

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Negative on the Jewish faith being Christian.<br />Most people do not consider JW's christian either. They are listed as a destructive cult in many reference materials on cults. I have a major listing but can't remember the authors name at the moment. Most have heard of it however. Will post it when it comes too me. Got it.<br /><br />Martins Book of Cults, I think.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by 12Footer:<br /> Good point, Gil009!<br />Jehova's Whitnesses do not celebrate Christmas, or any other birthdays. I forgot about that.<br />And isn't the Jewish faith considered Christian?
12, to be Christian, you have to believe in the Divinity of Jesus Christ and, of course, that he was the Messiah that was prophesized in the Old Testament.<br /><br />I am not sure on the complete status of Jehova's Witness but along with what you mentioned above, they do not vote, participate in any government functions, (law enforcement, military, politics. etc).

D

DJ

The troll (aka; the river) wrote:<br /><br />
I don't believe in Santa, and I don't think a book written 2000 years ago can possibly be accurate. (They thought earth was stationary-wrong, They thought the earth was flat-wrong etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc) In my opinion it was written to try and explain why things were the way they were at a time when folks didn't have many (or any) scientific answers. It was also a time when calm and order was trying to be set.<br />
Where in the Bible does it say that they believed those things? Just because it is old doesn't mean it isn't true. When does your history start-1970? Those that forget, or ignore history, are doomed to repeat it. <br /><br />
BTW-If Jesus did turn water into wine that was an amazing trick. David Coppperfield can "make a 747 disappear". Imagine the following he could have had if he was born back then.<br />
I wasn't there, neither were you, for EITHER event. How do you know it did or did not happen?<br />You don't. Don't proclaim either as fact.<br /><br />We have a thing called faith. In your words it helps the weak get through tough times. I am neither weak, nor because of my faith, do I have tough times. BTW you are welcome to join. You have absolutely nothing to lose except your arrogantness and feelings of total self worth. <br /><br />If you do not live it, you cannot have any credibility, as with all of your posts, talking about it.<br /><br />As I mentioned, you are welcome, as always. Yet do not criticize that for which you know nothing about.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where did I say it helps the "weak" get through tough times?

D

DJ

I'll take this quote as meaning the same thing. I was paraphrasing, if you didn't notice.<br /><br />Your lack of addressing the rest is telling. Don't expect a reply-troll.<br /><br />
People get brainwashed. I scratch my head and wonder what all the fuss is about.<br />

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> <br /><br />I think religion is a good thing. It helps lots of people through tough times. Don't call me a wimp though because I have a mind of my own and think for myself. You are simply adhering to a religion you were brought up with. People get brainwashed. I scratch my head and wonder what all the fuss is about.<br /><br />
That's a wishy washy paragraph if I ever read one.You say you wonder what ALL the fuss is all about yet you state as you see it that religion is a good thing and that it helps LOTS people through tough times.Which is it? Do you wonder what ALL this fuss is all about or do you see it(Christmas and religion)as helping LOTS of people through tough times???I don't know your definition of the word "wimp" but my definition of your above statement is "wimpy."<br /><br />If you're gonna troll,at least use some good bait.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For what it's worth, I'm not a christian, but do believe in celebrating from many faiths when appropriate to do so. There are a good many reasons to encompass other folks beliefs and even to be a bit eclectic and welcome then into your own spiritual feelings. I love the concept of christmas and the feelings associated with it. I likewise love the Chinese new year celebrations, likewise the Maori new year. I don't think all celebrations are religion based, but even if they were they are all aimed at the same thing; making everybody feel for a short time that they have somewhere to belong.<br />Now this is not knocking christianity or those who believe, rather since I work with people from numerous faiths and have observed their respect for and adoration for the principal feelings of equality and love for all. I have not yet to hear any of them put their religious beliefs first nor to put others down. They all show enormous respect for my feelings and discuss them whenever I feel ready. Likewise they'll even encourage others to keep their faith when they are sorely tested, different though it may be to their own!<br />Ross

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Thanks Ross.. :) It's nice to read that respect is still alive in some parts of the world... <br /><br />Shame that respect is'nt very common in these parts anymore, eh Flatbottoms?.. :(

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love this kind of debate. I applaud everyone for not slinging trash and for throwing their 2 cents in intelligently.<br /><br />JB, the most basic answer to your question is that Christmas is not a Christian holiday. A lot of other members have accurately posted the history of the church celebrating Christmas. And I agree with the history, but I too wonder why non-Christians welcome the celebration of Christmas.<br /><br />Maybe it is because of the commercialization. I mean, human nature appreciates the opportunity to get something for nothing. Human nature even enjoys the giving part as long as the human gets the credit. And it is human nature to celebrate the birth of a child, but to mourn the death of a man.<br /><br />And this is what separates the Christian faith from other religions. For me, the celebration comes at Easter (another early church takeover of a pagan holiday) even though, scripturally, I should be practicing Passover. <br /><br />Without opening this forum up to even more debate, JB, you are within your rights as a man who does not believe in the divinity of Christ to celebrate the Christmas season. The same things that God finds redeemable in all men resides in you and is shown more often at Christmas than at any time of year. Plus, it is a paid day off for a lot of us. :D <br /><br />Merry Christmas to all of the members here. May you all come into a saving knowledge of Christ in the coming year. <br /><br />And as I have posted in the past: "I love ya man!"<br /><br /> :D :D