Why does a non-Christian welcome the celebration of Christmas?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't believe Christ was devine. I think that makes me a non-Christian.<br /><br />Why, then, do I welcome the celebration of Jesus' birth and life?<br /><br />Jesus was teacher. He taught love and tolerance. He taught and demonstrated how we should behave in our lives and toward each other.<br /><br />Many of the Christians I know practice life as I believe Jesus taught. They are a joy to know.<br /><br />Never mind what Christian dogma I don't agree with, many Christians disagree with each other as much as they do with me. Some Christians practice life in a way I think would cause Jesus grief.<br /><br />That's beside the point. The point is that I believe that Jesus had a greatly positive effect on humanity and human behavior. That is why I celebrate Christmas.<br /><br />Peace on earth and goodwill to ALL men.

NathanY

Commander
Re: Why does a non-Christian welcome the celebration of Christmas?

Well first of all Christmas is not a Christian holiday. Nowhere in the Bible does it say celebrate Christ's birth. It does however say remember his death. If I remember correctly, christmas trees are actually a paganistic form of ritual and has nothing to do with Christianinty at all.<br /><br />Besides, it is very unlikely that Jesus was born in December, since the bible records shepherds tending their sheep in the fields on that night. This is quite unlikely to have happened during a cold Judean winter

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I enjoy christmas because it celebrates the life and morals of a fellow jew.Merry christmas JB.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

"Why does a non-Christian welcome the celebration of Christmas?"<br /><br />I don't know... Some parts I welcome, other parts I despise, like the commercial side, for example...<br /><br />Anywhoo.. I figure I have two choices.. I can, A: Join in the celebration out of respect for others who share different views than I.. Or, B: Be a party pooper... <br /><br />I choose, A... :cool:

phatmanmike

Captain

i look forward to it as a time with family and especialy for my 2 children.<br /><br />i was never raised "religiously" so i was never taught the meaning of christmas as a child.<br /><br />so i use it as an excuse to be with loved ones, friends, family, etc.<br /><br />and i also wish a good holiday upon all those that i may, so they can celebrate it in whatever way the feel fit.<br /><br />celebrating christmas is not an official religious holiday, its just some tradition somebody started, and it took hold. whatever. i like it . as said before, no where does anything or anybody tell us that to celebrate jesus, we must buy a christmas tree. mine is fake anyway.<br /><br />have a great day... to all of you... even the ones who i often fued with! have a great day

D

DJ

JB wrote.<br /><br />
I don't believe Christ was devine. I think that makes me a non-Christian.<br /><br />Why, then, do I welcome the celebration of Jesus' birth and life?<br />
You do not have to. That is the beauty of religious freedom. It is your choice and YOURS alone. <br /><br />At the same time, I would expect you not to infringe upon my celebration. <br /><br />I do not believe that Christ was born on 12/25. That is mythical, IMHO. However, He was born and we've chosen, as a society-over many years-not only an American tradition, to celebrate it.<br /><br />This country is going through a rough period. There are those that want nothing to do with past tradition, based on facts or not, and those that do. The problem is that we cannot get along, not by my choice. I find no problem with Jews or any other belief system except athiests. They seem to be the only ones that would deny our celebration. Athiests have a belief system that is based on "self". Well, guess what, I do not trust "self". "Self" can convince it"self" of anything. Been there.<br /><br />A belief gives one a view into the world from a different vantage point. It's a personal decision as to whether it is right, for you, or not. <br /><br />We (Christians) believe we are here to do the best we can to preserve our faith and save souls. Along the way, we hope to make a better society.<br /><br />For that we will be severely punished, in this world. It is written.<br /><br />You will win, however, will mankind be better off? To that, we will agree to disagree.<br /><br />Merry Christmas!

Link

Rear Admiral

Interesting topic JB<br /><br />So far to date Nate, rolmops, snapperbait Mike and DJ have answered so I can say I agree with all the above.<br /><br />I just told Mrs.Link on the way home tonight that I started writing a paper on this and a few other things a couple months ago. The big picture if you will. I dont know if I will ever finish or publish it but I might put a sample of it here in iboats sometime.<br />When or if I do I should put the topic as JB put your finger on the POOF Button :D :D <br /><br />Self Edit: Include Bassy :) <br />DJ I will make a seperate post to you and leave this one alone.

D

DJ

Link,<br /><br />As a suggestion, write the paper to yourself. It will help you decide which road you will take.<br /><br />If you cannot convince yourself, either way, you have no chance of being believable to anyone else.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

After a long search and learning from other faiths and religions I've come to a place that I can call a good place to be. Not a religion, but a faith. I have beliefs that keep me close and in constant communication with my God and his son(Jesus). Christmas is a day society has decided to celebrate Jesus's Birthday. Whether its his real birthday or not doesn't matter. Its the day to celebrate. <br /> I'm getting older and maturing I think and learning more about appreciating family. I've been through the anger and hurt and I've come to realize that loving family isn't necessarily liking them all of the time. Its accepting the flaws with the good and boy does Bassy's family tree have some flaws. But that's what's so great! Flaws make each and everyone of us unique! None of us are perfect! So, along with celebrating Jesus's birth I get to renew relationships with my family. Its so much better than the hurt and anger. Been there and done that and choose to not anymore. <br /> So, why celebrate? Because you can. You get to choose! Its free here in America!<br />Bassy

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

This is why,JB;<br /><br />"Glory to God in the highest! And on Earth,Peace and good will to all men".Luke2:14 That's too powerfull for only the Christian to desire with all his human heart and "wordly goods".<br /> A long read, but very enlightening.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Christmas is the day we all celebrate the birth of Santa Claus, silly...

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seriously, for some in my family its a combination of both spiritual and family affair, for me, its an annual event to stop everything and focus exclusively on spending time with extended family. Being agnostic, the tree, lights, and other traditions set a very pleasant tone, but there aren't any religious activities around our household.

phatmanmike

Captain

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> Christmas is the day we all celebrate the birth of Santa Claus, silly...
true, bust most people think it was the day the dollars was invented, so they have to celebrate the dollar!!!!<br /><br /><br />$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$<br /><br />myself, i celebrate food and beer.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

I enjoy the time as a moment to share with family and friends. I get pleasure from putting together a nice meal with refreshments. Nice music, fire in the fireplace and much laughter and love.<br /><br />I steer clear of topics that I know we cannot come to agreement one. We visit about good times we have had, good times to come and the love of those that we can no longer hold.<br /><br />When my time is finished on this planet I hope that I am remembered by those I've left behind as a loving and graciuous example of humanity.<br /><br />May the joy of Christmas touch each and every person.<br /><br />By the way, to me Easter is a much more religious event.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

JB, I like your style. No one has to be religious, but I would hope everyone would live like Jesus did. For a long time I did not believe, but I still tried to live like Jesus did.<br /><br />Merry Christmas JB.<br /><br />Me, I am not big in the church, but I go most Sundays, and will go tonight for Christmas mass.<br /><br />We will all have the family over, and probably the only thing we will do is a short prayer before opening the gifts. We also have a birthday cake for Jesus.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Like most, to me it's a time for family to get together and have a good time.<br /><br />My family is not as big as it was a few short years ago and it sure makes you stop and think about those gone before us.<br /><br />I still have trouble having a good time and not having my brother there with us, but then one of the grand kids comes over and jumps up on my lap and says, "I love you papaw" and that kinda takes the sting out of it.<br /><br />I also visit around 100 kids tonight and tomorrow as Santa Claus with the help of the local police and fire departments to the one's that are in the hospital and can't be home for Christmas and that makes it all worth while to me.

crab bait

Captain

many bible guru's believe that CHRIST was born on the 25 day.. but december was not likely..<br /><br />the roman catholics decided on the 25th of december cause of the many pagan rituals & festivities held in that time of year.. <br /><br />mostly cause of the closeness to the winter solstice .. a major pagan holiday..<br /><br /><br />missletoe was rivired by pagan priest cause it had no roots but still remand green thru-out the winter..<br /><br />romans ,, when met with enemies under missletoe,, layed down their weapons an embraced..<br /><br />just give me some rum an friggy puddin'.. an i'm happy..<br /><br />but boy ,, do i hate to don me now my gay apparell.. :)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I also am not a christian, JB i'm agreement with your point of view, in our home i put up the christmas tree, all the lighting paraphernilia, do the gift exchanges,eat drink and be merry,i enjoy this time of the year and my wish is for all the world to do the same.<br />Merry Christmas to all of my iboats friends,and i wish you all a happy and wonderful new year :)

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.<br /><br />In Rome, the Winter Solstice was celebrated many years before the birth of Christ. The Romans called their winter holiday Saturnalia, honoring Saturn, the God of Agriculture. In January, they observed the Kalends of January, which represented the triumph of life over death. This whole season was called Dies Natalis Invicti Solis, the Birthday of the Unconquered Sun. The festival season was marked by much merrymaking. It is in ancient Rome that the tradition of the Mummers was born. The Mummers were groups of costumed singers and dancers who traveled from house to house entertaining their neighbors. From this, the Christmas tradition of caroling was born.<br /><br />Huge Yule logs were burned in honor of the sun. The word Yule itself means “wheel,” the wheel being a pagan symbol for the sun. Mistletoe was considered a sacred plant, and the custom of kissing under the mistletoe began as a fertility ritual. Hollyberries were thought to be a food of the gods.<br /><br />Pope Julius I chose December 25. It is commonly believed that the church chose this date in an effort to adopt and absorb the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival.

spratt

Lieutenant

This has been hammered on so much, it doesn't even deserve an answer...however, I agree with Nate completely. The Roman Catholic Church instituted the holiday as a "Religious" holiday to be able to include Christians with their PAGAN holiday...and like sheep the Christians have embraced that one, the rabbit delivering eggs, the ghosts and goblins being given candy, and on and on...