Why do you stay on iboats?

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Why do you stay on iboats?

Why do I stay? Have you seen what they're puttin on TV these days? :D <br />Great people and great advice.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I came back after a break as well. I like to partake in the political discussions. I also like to cruise the boat repair advice. I have a boat I am thinking about completely re-doing this winter. I started coming here when I was shopping for a boat, and stumbled on this site. I then came back to get information about the old boat I ended up buying. I enjoy boats, well actually I love boats. I stare at them as I go to and from work while I pass the Ohio river every day. I dream of living on a boat some day, and I love coasting into a harbor town.<br /><br />At any rate, I keep coming back because of the boating atmosphere and the chatter. :D

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well...I like the free food and beer...which there's been more of since Admin went on his diet...LOL....just kidding Admin. Congrats on the weight loss...keep it up.<br /><br />Like some of the other wrenches here, I kinda stumbled across iboats forums. Started reading and thought I could help out some. Learned a lot in the process. Not a whole lotta wrenches out there that will share what they know to help folks out....I really respect that. Love the folks on DC.....don't post there much but darn I do get a good chuckle every now and then. Good folks to...like LadyFish, Bubba, Flathead, the "Ancient One", BSN and just everybody. Really.....where can ya' go and get info on just about everything and have a really good time doing it? Right here!!

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I heard you needed some nice people, so hear I am!<br /><br /><br />Proof that there are people in Kentucky with computers!

gaugeguy

Captain

Came looking for info for one of my customers that was having a problem. Found the info pretty easily, so I kept coming back using iboats as a resource.<br /><br />After awhile I realized that there were a lot of people here that I could get along with, share a laugh with, or share a story with.<br /><br />It's mostly for the laughs though.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

As with every one else I came looking for some answers and found more than I was looking for. I have been around boats forever but I feel like a rookie compared to the depth of knowledge here. There are a lot of good folks here willing to assist, I try to help, but I always get more back than I put in here...thanks iboats...just a Thought<br /> :rolleyes:

Admin5

What a refreshing bunch of posts! -maybe becuase you are all saying nice things about us, but that is not the point! ;) Every once in a while it really does help to take a breath and remember why you do what you do, like spending time here at iboats. A big thanks for all of your posts from the iboats family! I hope to meet many of you at some future iboats gettogether.

bvassel3

Petty Officer 1st Class

A little history about these Forums. It has been most interesting for us at iboats to see the Forums grow and really blossom over the last 5+ years. As soon as we took iboats.com live online, in mid 1999, we began getting daily emails from people all over the world, and many phone calls every week, asking for help with engine and boat-repair questions of all kinds. My son and I were not, and are not engine and boat-repair experts. We just love boating and everything associated with it, whether fishing, skiing, diving, sailing or just hanging out on the water with family and friends.<br /><br />It really didn’t sound or feel good to us to just tell everyone who came to iboats with a boating-related question to just answer them by saying, “Sorry, we don’t know and can’t help you. Go try somewhere else.” That felt and sounded a lot like a brush-off…something that doesn’t make anyone feel very good. So we came up with the idea of starting a boating-related Forum as a way to see if boaters would be willing to help other boaters. Thankfully, over time and with a LOT of wonderful help (that means many of you spent…and still spend…amazing numbers of hours every day and week helping others in our Forums!) it began to work. <br /><br />It started as a few people every day asking us technical questions in a few emails and by phone (since we splash our toll-free number on every page we build…instead of hiding any and all phone numbers like so many web sites did and still do). Today, we receive 1,000-1,500 phone calls per day and from 350 to 800+ emails a day. Many of these people have boating-related questions which we still can’t answer, so we continue to refer them to our Forums, telling them that they will get the help they need, free of charge, by just going to our Forums and reading through the thousands of posts already there. Then we say that if they still can’t find the answers they need, they can register and ask their questions, and they will get the help they need in most cases. We also encourage all these new people to then help others whenever they can by sharing their own boating-related experiences and knowledge with other Forum visitors. <br /><br />So the iboats’ Forums will continue to have many new people from all over the world fed into them every day for help and reassurance…and through the process, most of these people will get that specific help they need, PLUS they can find wonderful new friends in the process.<br /><br />In today’s world where there seems to be too much of “what’s in it for me”…and “how much can I charge”…and “how much can I get away with or take from others for nothing”, I believe that the iboats’ Forums are a most refreshing anomaly where thousands of very talented, and yes, mostly very ordinary people like me can come together in the common spirit of helping each other and learning from each other without asking for anything in return except mutual respect and common decency of treatment. It is, of course, always nice to see those who are helped to then thank those doing the helping… and not surprisingly a good amount of that go on every day.<br /><br />So that’s why and how the iboats’ Forums started, and why they are successful today, and why we strongly believe that they will continue. I really don’t think it’s the subject matter nearly as much as it’s the people that make our Forums work so well. It’s all of you! We were blessed early on with a few people willing to spend the time and provide the tone necessary to make this work. To JB first, and then to all the rest of you who continue to come and help and share and laugh and tell funny stories, and share poignant moments in your lives with the rest of us, and are willing to ignore the occasional detractor, thank you from the bottom of our hearts…and God bless you for your decency and genuine interest in giving to others in need. You are a rare breed and I count it a real blessing to be associated in any way with you. BV

Carphunter

Commander

Wow bv, great post. :) <br /><br />I have to say the reason I have stuck around so long is because of the friends I have made here. I may never meet many of you face to face, but I feel as though I know some of you better than my neighbors. I would sure like to meet some of you one day. It seems I have a little history with everyone here. As much time as we spend here, sometimes we don't take the time to tell each other how much we appreciate each others company.<br /> <br />First and foremost, I have to thank SBN. One of the first fella's I had the pleasure of talking to here at iboats. You have no idea how many times I have come here just to read your posts. I will always have your back there buddy.<br />.....and Mellow, for teachin me not to take myself so serious.<br />.....and KKC, for tellin it like it is, (come on back).<br />.....and Magster, for lettin us see his little one grow up.<br />.....and Ladyfish and Bassy, for keepin all us fella's in line.<br />.....and gonfshn, for some of the best stories ever told here.<br />.....and Flahthead, 'cause he owns a Harley, and he might kick my butt if I leave him out. :D <br />.....and guageguy and Tylerin, you guys can make fun of me anytime. I look forward to our daily "conversations". You guys sure keep me laughin.<br />As I said, there are so many more, but my lunch is over, and I have to end this post.<br />Let me just say that I consider each and every one of you my friends, and I hope the feeling is mutual. If 'ol Carpy can ever assist any of you in any way, just ask, and I'll try my best.<br /><br /><br />Now, let me get back to being an idiot, 'cause thats what I'm best at. (......Now guageguy and Tylerin, I gave you lots of material to work with, so let the jokes commence). :p <br /><br />Whoops, and last but not least, I would like to thank the iboats staff for the best dang site on the internet. I, for one, appreciate the effort you make to keep this place goin. Thanks.<br /><br />I'm done now, somebody tell Tylerin I need a tissue. :p

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

u tell me where else in this impersonal/electronic<br />world where you can go and not worry one bit about<br />dealing with a bunch of pretenders and actors???<br />after 2yrs. here, it's obvious to me that it comes<br />from the top and that our benifactors (BV & A5)<br />are real folk and take what happens here personnaly.<br />IMHO, the vision of Iboats is not all about the<br />"almighty" dollar, it's about doing right by fellow<br />boaters and a genuine interest in treating all of<br />us like family. <br />I for one certainly appreciate it! :D <br />unlike a car on the side of the road, a REAL boater<br />would never pass a stranded boat without offering<br />help. this is what seperates us and binds us.<br />on the water political/religious/sexual etc.<br />differences are not important. can't have any<br />"dockside" chat if'n u don't make it back right?<br />M.Y. .02

delta breeze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I came to Iboats because of the classifieds at first.A nice easy search.Not like that other type of trader boat place?Well then I got into the forums with a few questions and hoped maybe I can help a few people myself.I'm in the aviation business and alot of the problems are the same type,Hydraulic,electrical,composites,ect.I've been around boats for 25 years and live on one still.There just isn't much grass to mow at the marina.I'm always on the lake!I love the boating community and its cool to see that there are some people that have been here awhile.Well keep em wet and floatin' use your boat or someone else will want to borrow it?See ya on the lake.<br /><br /> The Delta Breeze :cool:

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Carphunter:<br /> Wow bv, great post. :) <br />First and foremost, I have to thank SBN. One of the first fella's I had the pleasure of talking to here at iboats. You have no idea how many times I have come here just to read your posts. I will always have your back there buddy.
Well I will ditto the great post by bv.<br />Second, Carpy, I am glad to have had the pleasure of being the first.<br /><br />I too hope to meet you and more of the members as time goes on like I have already with Jeff, Willard and Noel, maybe at the 2nd. annual gettogether this year.<br /><br />I have been around here for almost 2 year and have seen a lot and learned a lot, much more than I should know and have seen a lot of strange people come and go.<br /><br />It is a good website, if it wasn't, I would not be here, although I don't spend as much time here as I use too for different reasons.<br /><br />The trolls get tiresome after a while.<br /><br />The admin and I have had a few words, but I still consider him my friend also, again if I didn't, I would not be here.<br /><br />The mods do a good job, overreact sometimes, but a good job. IMO.<br /><br />As far as why I came here, I really don't know. It's a age thing me thinks. :D <br /><br />I will hush now before I say anything to upset admin.<br /><br />Oh yea Carpy, get the tissues. :p

magster65

Commander

There's a prime example right there why many of us are still here. Thank you for the excellent post bv and the kind words Carphunter (and the rest of ya' too). Joey's 15 1/2 months now and growing fast! He wanted to say hi...<br />
May%2015%2004.JPG

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

WHOA!!!!! Magster!!! The boy is gettin' growed up. Good lookin' boy ya' got there buddy!!

LadyFish

Admiral

What a cutie-pa-tootie he is Magster. He has beautiful eyes and a really cute smile. :)

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I found Iboats through a google search seeking info, parts and "stuff", etc. after purchase of a Slikcraft/Big Johnson powered project boat.<br /><br />What I discovered in addition to fine and accurate technical info and the "mega mall" was a great fellowship of folks.<br /><br />Thanks All,<br /><br />Pat

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I will add further that the mega mall is to me a "sears" catalog of boating items. Provides me with a one stop source to find hull related items for the Slikker as well as another trihull project I have to tackle.

gonfishn

Commander

Like many here I came on for some tech help and stayed because of new found friends...When My friend Spinner decided for a get together I was there even though the turnout was small.<br /><br />All those Spinner have met I have met plus I have added a few more to that list.<br /><br />MellowYellow who in my book is a down to earth person even though he is from New York(man can he cook up a feed bag)<br />Neaumans who was the first I met. He and I came to be good friends when we met in Minnesota last year..He is the only guy i know who can catch an anchor while fishn.<br />This year Neaumans,Eurolarva,Muskyone and myself are meeting at the homestead for a few days of fishn..<br /><br />I have found that even though we come from different walks of life that people are people..Never would have got to fish with many here had not iboats come along..thanks<br /><br />This year Spinner is planning on another get together..Maybe this year we can get more to come..I am planning on coming so you know the entertainment will be there..lol..<br /><br />Thanks Carpy for the honorable mention. Your another one who would fit right in with BubbaKat,Spinner,MellowYellow and myself cause you just ain't right either..

fixin

magster65: Thats a good looking anklebiter!<br />as for me I came for tec question and I think I got some sort of virus from all of you...

bubbakat

Captain

One good lookin kid and that is what keeps the old heart beating :D <br />That was a good post bv