Why do you stay on iboats?

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Why do you stay on iboats?

I come to this board specifically because I get a kick out of some of the posts by both the hardcore right-wingers and the hardcore left-wingers. Some rowdy banter, to say the least. By my unscientific count (guess), rights outnumber the lefts by 25-to-1. Never leaves me without a chuckle.<br />Trolls??!! I thought every political statement on here was a troll, but maybe I don't know the correct definition of the word.<br />I, too, considered leaving this site, until I decided that I was taking myself WAY TOO SERIOUSLY, and should back-off a bit. If, during that unhappy time, I offended anyone, then I'd like to offer my sincere apologies. Also, I found that I was taking a lot of what others were saying too seriously and personal as well. I've learned to lighten up (and maybe grow up) a little. Thanks for letting me ramble, and for letting me express my views.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I have always been interested in the way things work & fixin stuff. I may have picked up a thing or two over the years that could help someone who is trying to figgure out how to do something that I have run accross before. That dosen't count all the stuff I learn from all the heavy wrenches who lurk in the shadows and sneak out one in a while.<br /><br />Besides I hate TV and don't drink much anymore. Gotta have somethin to do.

RetNav

Like a lot of others I originally came here for help on a couple of rudes that was giving problems. They still are for that matter, well only one of them are now.<br /> I was told a long time ago to not discuss religion, politics and sex so I don't usually post on those discussions. I do a lot of reading on all the forums and usually will be on here first thing in the morning and late in the evening.<br /> I don't get upset by the opinions stated by anyone as I learned a while back that "opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one and most of them stink". No offense. <br /> I have worked in a lot of fields and had a lot of training in the military and after retiring from the military. As I was looking at the different numbers of posts by lots of members I have finally figured out why I don't have more posts than I do. It is not my fault, people are just not asking the right questions.<br /> My sig line pretty much explains my feelings about things..

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I stay on "Iboats" basically for the wealth of knowledge that one can get from this forum!!! :D <br /><br />There aren't many forums where you can cover bassically from "A' to "Z"<br /><br />We have boat troubles & repair; fishing; electronics; back yard boat building with pictures of people taking a boat that looks like crap and restore the same to look like a new boat!!! :D <br /><br />We have professional and knowledgeable people to help us along with the above projects!!! :D <br /><br />And we have the famous & infamous "Dock Side Chat!!!!" ;) :cool:

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I come because I've been around boats and motors all my life and enjoy reading and talking about them. I like the idea of being able to help solve a problem [ particularly when I'm not the one actually doing the work]. But I particularly like to read the posts of most of the members, who seem like a bunch of regular guys who don't mind getting their hands dirty and greasy and who seem to have a good sense of humor. The occasional troll comes along, but I figure it's just some pencil necked little geek who wants to feel special in his own mind, if nowhere else. I hate to see the old members leave because of them. Ignore them and they'll eventually go away. It's the attention they want and, if they don't get it, they'll leave.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I stumbled on to this site when I was first contemplating what to do with the soft spots in my floor. The forum has been a great help and confidence builder in helping to control my fear of what I might find lurking under my soggy floorboards. In addition to all the technical stuff I have lots of fun seeing what makes liberals tick. All two of them! ;)

jinx

Found Iboats when I was searching for information on an Arima boat that I later bought.<br /><br />I read the boating topics, Honda O/b, other outboard, and non-boating technical topics regularly.<br /><br />I am driven like a moth to a flame to Dockside Chat, love to see what is on people's minds.<br />It is also a good diversion from when I'm following something on the PC. <br /><br />Don't take any postings so seriously that it gets you upset. In any group of people there will be those who can be misunderstood, or just plain obnoxious. You don't leave a meeting or a party because there are a few of those...don't leave Iboats, either.<br /><br />Tornado warning earlier this evening at my place, doesn't happen all that often around here.<br /><br />Jinx

boatneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I never thought about it until you asked, Admin 5, but the reason for me is there are so many knowledgable and generous people willing to share ideas and help each other. I've learned so much from the fora here that I cannot thank them all enough. The humor offsets the political rants--so I keep coming back. This is one of the best places on the web--my other favorite is tractorbynet.com Again, really knowledgable folks helping one another.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I found this site by accident trying to find info on an old motor I've had for anumber of years. I've aquired a world of info by just reading the forums. Ive always felt a hesitant about posting a question because I felt it might be a dumb question, untill someone mentioned there are no dumb questions. Thanks for a great web site.

88spl

Petty Officer 1st Class

It must be because of people like admin5...... raised on Earth by human parents. He is an excellent athlete (fat)... but played baseball for the Los Angeles Dodgers. His first year in the big leagues he batted .300 and was name WOOKIE of the year.<br />Now beam me up please!

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

We got our 1st boat and motor 1 year ago, and I got tired of reading all the @#$% on our local yokal Australian site that pretty much tells you that if you own an old Merc, you will have loads of trouble and you better get up and buy a new Jap motor and new boat... Got talking to the 12footers..and JB's of the world and got a different perspective on things. Thought I might stick around where folks have good mechanical knowledge and usually I stay out of the politics.. being from the other side of the world.. I see it as none of my business.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I started comming here for all the single women! :D <br /><br />OK In reality I have been involved in working on boats for my whole life and I thought I would have something to contribute. Figured out in short order that I could learn a lot by reading and asking questions. I never have been an engine man, and I am still not but found out that they're not the huge mystery I thought they were.<br /><br />I hardly ever post into it but I love to watch the project boat section, and the fruits of hard work and technique. Fascinating to watch a hulk turned into a beautiful boat.<br /><br />Opinions are like rectums - everyone has one. Rarely if ever upset by someone who has a firm belief in something, stating just that. But stating something and persuading someone are two separate kettles of fish. I am not at a boating site to persuade someone into changing their political stripes, at best I might give them something to think about, --- or not. :p <br /><br />There is something about boats: the power, the freedom, the strength, the skill, the diversity, that no other pastime can match. Everyday is a new challenge, a new technology, and hopefully a new circle of friends. Boats, life without them wouldn't be a full life. :)

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I stumbled on to iboats when looking for a boat to purchase.<br />I have found the tech sections excellant, read it all the time and am alway learning.<br />As for Dockside chat. It is a very enjoyable part of my day. I am continually learning about your attitudes/beliefs etc etc. Being able to put a face to some of the names was............<br />I just thoroughly enjoy it.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

LadyFish

Admiral

Like most everyone else, I came here to find an answer to a technical question.<br /><br />With all the friendly responses and lessons learned, I ventured into Stupid Human Tricks, fishing and DC where I met a great group of people who have become my friends. And thats why I stay. :)

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I am a rude ugly man with an offensive smell that refuses to bath regularily. I find this presents problems when it comes time to find people to associate with me. In my hobit type lifstyle I have discovered boating to be a great way to have human contact. Boaters as a whole find me very approachable, especially when I park my rig on the ramp and act like I am preparing to launch. Usually after only 20-45 minutes someone approaches out from the long line forming behind me to see if I need help. Oh sure I have tried other approach's to meeting people but none up to this point has worked for me, Like blocking a checkout at walmart for example. After a couple of minutes the line behind simply moves to another checkout(ineffective method). There are other tactic's I have tried also but nothing works so well as blocking the ramp, Boaters are such a friendly group of people which led me to this site. I figure I should be safe here till smellovision becomes common on computers, that and most of the reasons listed above.

ob

Admiral

I stay because of the satisfaction that I get from trying to help others with any boating issues that they may have and that I may be able to help shine some light on.Mostly in the John/Rude forums where my limited knowledge can help the most and opinions and popularity don't come into play very much.I've learned a ton from some of the guys that frequent these sites that have obviously paid their dues to know what they know through years of first hand experience and are eager to share their knowledge with others.Sort of a mutual respectful brotherhood that I can best relate to.I read many and reply to a few in the DC forums as well but mostly just read the ones that I feel may be of some interest with an occasional attempt at some comic relief injection or a sometimes futile attempt at a political opinion within my safe bloodpressure limits.All in all this site has much to offer and its forums have probably exceeded its owners wildest expectations.Chow. :) <br /><br />Edit:Almost forgot to mention that I also stay here because of all of the single chicks. :D

ebbtide176

Commander

this is just a forum, but its like a meeting place to me. we all learn & associate with the personalities we like
cut/paste from KKC's topic :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm only here because someone locked the door and I can't get out.<br /><br />Came here to buy boat stuff, a couple months later I discovered the forum. Maybe if I had a life I would be here less often. Until then, you guys are stuck with me.

crab bait

Captain

geez,, finally my turn.. <br /><br />i'm here because i'm the most important person here.. ya see,, without me ,, this board would crumble like a cracker..<br />not kiddin'.. it would be a total desaster..<br /> <br />people would just wander aimlessly askin' about there pericous stringers an rot.. o'boy,,don't forget the ROT..an lots of it.<br /><br />what would the multitude do..??<br /><br />so therefore this is why i LIVE here.. not that i want to.. but because i have to..<br /><br /><br />it's pretty much an obession.. i hopin' maybe one day a shrink who owns a boat with floor rot comes on board, someday yes someday...

magster65

Commander

I've had some time away for various reasons but I come back to read or chat with folks interested in the same hobby as myself. I also enjoy the non-boating threads too. Variety is the spice of life they say and there's definately variety here... <br />Cheers.