Where can I find the oil filter?

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
Today I bought a pre-own boat with Mercruiser 185HP,the pre-owner said the year maybe is 1986, I have pumped out the oil but I cannot find the oil filter. Which No. is the Serial No.?

Attachments

• new_engine_1.jpg
    new_engine_1.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 30
  • new_engine_2.jpg
    new_engine_2.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 20
  • new_engine_3.jpg
    new_engine_3.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 20
  • new_engine_4.jpg
    new_engine_4.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20230613_214606894.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230613_214606894.MP.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 31

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Left side of block, at the pan rail

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
same location as every Chevrolet based V-6 or V-8 used on boats. as Danforth said, its on the left side of the block at the oil pan rail. UNDER your left side exhaust manifold. You will find your starter in the same spot on the other side of the block. Depending on the design of your stringers and structure, it could be easy, or it could be a PITA. but that is where it is located....

alldodge

Staff member
Could you please check the fifth picture and tell me where the oil filter is? Is easy to unmount and mount a new one?
Look for the oil filter under the right side rear of pic 5. Down real low under the exhaust manifold

alldodge

Staff member
Also need to get rid of the inline fuel filter and the red non-safe fuel line, if it's even fuel line. Should be type A1

ScottinAZ

It’s a boat. It’s supposed to suck.
if it were mine, and the filter were hidden like that, I would be installing a remote filter mount..... Cry once installing it, and never again.....

CapriBX

Seaman
if it were mine, and the filter were hidden like that, I would be installing a remote filter mount..... Cry once installing it, and never again.....
After doing my first oil change a couple weeks ago, I’m strongly considering a remote filter kit.

Edit: Nevermind. Not worth the money while I got kids who can reach under.

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
It is so difficult for to access the oil filter. Does anyone have good solution?

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
Also need to get rid of the inline fuel filter and the red non-safe fuel line, if it's even fuel line. Should be type A1
What is the steps to replace the oil filter? This morning I tried to remove the manifold, But failed.

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
I made a mistake to screw the oil filter in the wrong direction because it is different from my old boat engine of 2.5L mercruisier. Now it have screwed it out and I have damaged the seat for the more space.

ScottinAZ

The thinking step. Just reach under the dang thing.
i cant help but think we are being trolled here. Knows enough to suck the oil out, but cannot find the oil filter on one of the most popular types of I/O out there. When given instructions on where it is, attempts to remove the exhaust manifold to access the filter..... last post cinches it..... righty tightly lefty loosy works for all "Chevy" based engines, Hell, IIRC the filter is the same one (or could be) between the v-6 and the 4 banger.....

if the Op isnt a troll, they need to just take it to a competent marine mechanic..... before they hurt themselves or others.