Where can I find the oil filter?

CapriBX

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i cant help but think we are being trolled here. Knows enough to suck the oil out, but cannot find the oil filter on one of the most popular types of I/O out there. When given instructions on where it is, attempts to remove the exhaust manifold to access the filter..... last post cinches it..... righty tightly lefty loosy works for all "Chevy" based engines, Hell, IIRC the filter is the same one (or could be) between the v-6 and the 4 banger.....

if the Op isnt a troll, they need to just take it to a competent marine mechanic..... before they hurt themselves or others.
Next step is to remove the outdrive and gimbal. Then you can just reach through the hole in the transom.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
you should not have to remove seats , manifold or any other part of the boat.

slip a strap wrench over the filter , "work out the correct way to twist it off' get the strap tight by hand on the filter (a helper with skinny arms to hold in place is helpful) , use a ratchet and come in from the front under the motor and wind the old one off using the ratchet to get small turns.

fitting the new filter is easier than getting the old one off , just come in form the same direction as you put the ratchet with the filter in hand and screw it on .

check that the filter O ring / gasket came off with the old filter , or you will double up and that ends badly.

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
Which oil is better for the 185HP motor? Synthetic Blend is expensive than No-Synthetic. If No-Synthetic works I will buy No-Synthetic because it is cheaper.

Attachments

• PXL_20230614_163218219.jpg
    PXL_20230614_163218219.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230614_163139734.jpg
    PXL_20230614_163139734.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230614_163131886.jpg
    PXL_20230614_163131886.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230614_163201873.jpg
    PXL_20230614_163201873.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 10

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Today I bought a pre-own boat with Mercruiser 185HP,the pre-owner said the year maybe is 1986, I have pumped out the oil but I cannot find the oil filter. Which No. is the Serial No.?
most likely u will have to remove or move box (port side) to access filter. Nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i cant help but think we are being trolled here. Knows enough to suck the oil out, but cannot find the oil filter on one of the most popular types of I/O out there. When given instructions on where it is, attempts to remove the exhaust manifold to access the filter..... last post cinches it..... righty tightly lefty loosy works for all "Chevy" based engines, Hell, IIRC the filter is the same one (or could be) between the v-6 and the 4 banger.....

if the Op isnt a troll, they need to just take it to a competent marine mechanic..... before they hurt themselves or others.
ha hah no , i dont think OP is trolling , take a look at the pic :), it looks like the filter would be a PIA to get at and you would need a mirror on a stick to see it , the filter is along side the seat that looks to be glassed in.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ahhh ever work on a small block Chevrolet before?
Those of us of a certain age, all have and are used to feeling around for that well hidden filter.
I'd make that wood work removeable like it is on my boat, cheaper 'n a remote filter, although, I just bought one and will install it in the fall. I'm tired of pulling out 1/2 of the rear seat to get at the filter, and winterize.

flashback

Captain
Looks like he got it..
I would use dino oil with a high ZDDP content like rotella.

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
Those of us of a certain age, all have and are used to feeling around for that well hidden filter.
I'd make that wood work removeable like it is on my boat, cheaper 'n a remote filter, although, I just bought one and will install it in the fall. I'm tired of pulling out 1/2 of the rear seat to get at the filter, and winterize.
Yes. I will make a removable seat and later the maintenance of oil filter should be easier.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
oh oh morphing into an oil thread!
I think it's easier to say what NOT to use, than what to use...so...
don't use an automotive grade 5/30 or 10/30 in that old inboard, it is likely to thin out at sustained high revs.....
I have used:
straight 30
straight 40
Merc 25/40 conventional
Merc 25/50 syn blend
You can also use 15/40 or 20/50 either one of these is a lot cheaper than the Merc/Quicksilver oil.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Marine oil filter 1.jpg

got it now?
or else get one of these
Remote oil filter mount for 4.3 V6.jpg
Michigan Motorz sells em, this one has a bracket for the Volvo style exhaust you'd need a Merc one. Not cheap though.
I'd make that seat mount removable, and you might do the same thing on the other side, in case you have to replace a starter or even worse, a power steering actuator (4 f-bomb job).

Scott06

Vice Admiral
ha hah no , i dont think OP is trolling , take a look at the pic :), it looks like the filter would be a PIA to get at and you would need a mirror on a stick to see it , the filter is along side the seat that looks to be glassed in.
No I don't think he is trolling. Look up some other threads, obviously not that experienced yet.

mvn

Petty Officer 1st Class
View attachment 381533

got it now?
or else get one of these
View attachment 381534
Michigan Motorz sells em, this one has a bracket for the Volvo style exhaust you'd need a Merc one. Not cheap though.
I'd make that seat mount removable, and you might do the same thing on the other side, in case you have to replace a starter or even worse, a power steering actuator (4 f-bomb job).
Ok, I've been following this thread successfully (I thought), right up until now. How does a Nordic track make oil changes any easier??!?

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
View attachment 381533

got it now?
or else get one of these
View attachment 381534
there should be a big project to install remote oil filter. Now I have unscrewed the old one and I will continue to mount a new one

liusigou

Chief Petty Officer
if it were mine, and the filter were hidden like that, I would be installing a remote filter mount..... Cry once installing it, and never again.....
Really it is not too bad if there is some space. So I removed the seat.