When is your boating season over?

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought my first boat in July, now it is nearing the end of August. Before I know it the summer will be over, but that's not the end, right? I realize it depends on where you live, and where you play, but when do you call it 'off season' and stop boating?

I live way down south in SC (Beaufort). It takes a while before it gets cold down here. When is my season over? I haven't really had a chance to talk to any other local boaters to find out when they are done, so I was hoping someone here can give me an idea.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: When is your boating season over?

Here in central Louisiana, it is never over. Gets a little chilly sometimes, but not too bad. There are probably 3 weeks total out of all year where it is too dang cold to go in the early morning, but I will still go in the afternoon.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just bought my first boat in July, now it is nearing the end of August. Before I know it the summer will be over, but that's not the end, right? I realize it depends on where you live, and where you play, but when do you call it 'off season' and stop boating?

I live way down south in SC (Beaufort). It takes a while before it gets cold down here. When is my season over? I haven't really had a chance to talk to any other local boaters to find out when they are done, so I was hoping someone here can give me an idea.

Good question. This is my first year of boating and I am New Jersey, so depending if the weather stays warm I say November 1st at the latest that I would be willing to go to. But September and October for sure. :)

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good question. This is my first year of boating and I am New Jersey, so depending if the weather stays warm I say November 1st at the latest that I would be willing to go to. But September and October for sure. :)

November 1st in NJ?:eek: Your either a brave soul or, well...:rolleyes:

Really though, I used to keep my Rinker at the ready through mid October for that one last, bundled up in long johns wearing a wool parka and gloves, ride up the Ol' Miss for the Autumn leaves. But with my new boat, well, not new anymore, she is 8 now, I put her away in mid Septmeber.:(

The unwritten rule here is Memorial Day to Labor Day for all out boating season. If you can get out earlier or push it alittle later, it's been a good year.

DennisM

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will be out until there is the possibility of ice! Then winterize the boat and ready the sled!

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will usually run from Early March to late November. It all depends on the weather though, I have gottten out in February and at times have gone out until early January. Of course only get in the water between March and mid November. The rest is fishing or hanging out on the boat.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Most of my boating is on the San Diego Bay fishing for halibut, or a mile or two out into the kelp fishing for calico bass and rockfish or hooping for Pacific lobster near the jetties and coves.

These are largely Fall/Winter/Spring pursuits, so for me, June/July/August is the "off-season."

EDIT: the goal with my next boat is to be able to safely get 7-10 miles offshore to reliably catch the summer yellowtail and albacore runs. Then I will not have an off-season. :cool:

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will usually run from Early March to late November. It all depends on the weather though, I have gottten out in February and at times have gone out until early January. Of course only get in the water between March and mid November. The rest is fishing or hanging out on the boat.

Invest in a dry suit. That is the way to go for that early/late skiing. And other water sports:D
I still have one. Of course it no longer fits.:rolleyes: Thinking about turning it into a couple of squeegees for the boat and vehicles;).

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

The boating season isn't over until there's ice where there should be water or unless the water is too rough. Dress appropriately.

Oh, wait...I'm in Central Florida...nevermind...:D

Philster

Captain

New Jersey = late October.

Same for Delaware: Late October.

Fishermen? Bah... December.

Brewman61

Ensign

For me it's when my marina orders us out of the slip, usually mid October here in the southern Burbs of Minneapolis. I choose not to boat after that, I usually go straight to winterize and prep for storage while it's still nice outside. Coming all too fast.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Season for what?
We have the four distinct seasons, weather wise. What we do in the boats changes with the leaves. It can be too hot to boat just as it can be too cold. I've been out in a boat in the last 12 months when it was 10 and when it was 100.
I'm frequently in some kind of boat from April through January; a couple of times in Feb/March. There's early flounder (April/May) tubing and sunning (May-September), striper fishing at night (Nov/Dec) duck hunting (Nov-Jan); local cruising/exploring (April-Oct); marsh activities (spring and fall) plus I use a boat for transportation to and from a vacation spot, starting in March, going through January.

So my point is, the only type of boater who could answer your question with any meaning, is one who limits himself to one type of boating. Like asking, "when is your spectator sports season" instead of "when is your football season."

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One reason I'm trying to gauge this is to see if I might want to put it in a slip for a month or two this late in the season. Kinda related to the slip or tow thread.

I feel like I'd be able to enjoy it a lot more often if I put it at the marina for a little bit. There are some days where there's only a small window of sun, or say on a weekday when we might want to take it out after work, but having to go to storage and pick it up and prep it seems like its more work than its worth.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I boat the Mississippi and st croix river in Mn alot. I run an 18 ft Thundercraft open bow. Some of the most beautifull boat runs i have had are almost to Nov. By then all the big slipped boats at the marinas are done for the year, on shore or being pulled, Ive gone out with the water as smooth as glass the leaves in full fall color. Then you get the reflection of the riverbanks off the water almost doubles the color. Once or twice after an early 1 or 2 inch snowfall. Its like magic. Shut the engine down in the middle of the river and drift down and listen to the silence.....Beautiful.........

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in central New York you can be in as early as April and go through late October.

Myself? Usually, take the boat out of the garage in early May for prep work. Splash is usually in mid-June. I'll keep on the hook until the first week in October then pull her. I like to get here home for the few remaining good weather weeks in October to clean and winterize for the winter.

I have my smaller boat that I winterize last in late October. If I get a really nice day or two I want to be able to get out. She has an outboard so winterizing is quick and easy. Not so much for my Four Winns.

Around Syracuse, the winter is long and the summer is short. I'm on the water every minute I can steal. Still 6 weeks to go. Oh, and it's always great after Labor Day: no weekend yahoos on the lake, just peaceful cruising.

Philster

Captain

Season for what?
We have the four distinct seasons, weather wise. What we do in the boats changes with the leaves. It can be too hot to boat just as it can be too cold. I've been out in a boat in the last 12 months when it was 10 and when it was 100.
I'm frequently in some kind of boat from April through January; a couple of times in Feb/March. There's early flounder (April/May) tubing and sunning (May-September), striper fishing at night (Nov/Dec) duck hunting (Nov-Jan); local cruising/exploring (April-Oct); marsh activities (spring and fall) plus I use a boat for transportation to and from a vacation spot, starting in March, going through January.

So my point is, the only type of boater who could answer your question with any meaning, is one who limits himself to one type of boating. Like asking, "when is your spectator sports season" instead of "when is your football season."

A bit smug. ^^^^^^

Guess I'm the type who 'limits' myself. Maybe you shouldn't 'limit' yourself to just boating.

People were asked when their boating season is over. Yours is never over. Congratulations. Some answer differently. Notice that many are over come late fall?

Sports season analogy is cute, but doesn't look like many parallels are being drawn based on the answers provided.

My never ends either, if you count the fact that when there are 40 inches of snow on the ground, I pass by my boat when shoveling and make engine noises.

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the lower elevation lakes around 4200 ft. ice off is the end of March. Mid level lakes, 6200 ft ice off is mid to late April and the high level lakes, 7800 ft. it is first of May. The end of the season, except for the fisherman who will push the temps, really ends some where in the last part of October but some years earlier. If I need a fix I head south to Lake Powell which never freezes but does get cold in December and January.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

November 1st in NJ?:eek: Your either a brave soul or, well...:rolleyes:

Really though, I used to keep my Rinker at the ready through mid October for that one last, bundled up in long johns wearing a wool parka and gloves, ride up the Ol' Miss for the Autumn leaves. But with my new boat, well, not new anymore, she is 8 now, I put her away in mid Septmeber.:(

The unwritten rule here is Memorial Day to Labor Day for all out boating season. If you can get out earlier or push it alittle later, it's been a good year.

Hey Thad - remember 3 years ago when it was in the mid 80's the 2nd or 3rd weekend in October in Illinois. That was awesome! Had the boat out that Saturday and Sunday. Nothin better than stealing a couple bonus days especially in the fall.:rolleyes:

Ronder

Cadet

For us in NW Wisconsin, around Oct 20th.. so 2 more months:D

Then time to get ready for ther Snowmobile season;)

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Thad - remember 3 years ago when it was in the mid 80's the 2nd or 3rd weekend in October in Illinois. That was awesome! Had the boat out that Saturday and Sunday. Nothin better than stealing a couple bonus days especially in the fall.:rolleyes:

How 'bout a couple years before that even when it was upper 80's in early April. If I remember right, it was April 2nd. Earliest I have ever been out. Well, North of Arizona anyway.

Yeah, I WILL pull the boat out for a bonus weekend. It is worth the couple hours to rewinterize.:D