What would you have done in this soldiers place?

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What would you have done in this soldiers place?

I am having a real problem with our American media supplying incendiary film footage for Al-Jazeera to air to the third world.<br /><br />Jinx

cmyers_uk

Totally understand why he did it and dont think he should be hung out to dry but there must be a line its what is supposed to separate us from them. I dont think NBC should have shown the film it does no good for anyone it could have been handled internally. <br /><br />I watched another cnn clip of some marines 50M away from a guy lying wounded as they shot him while cheering and it appeared more like sport. These sort of things dont bring credit to the armed forces its not heroic or brave, provides propaganda for the enemy and encourages more people to fight to the death.<br /><br />The majority of soldiers Im sure wouldnt take great pleasure in killing wounded combatants yet here we seem to cheer it, strange world.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

This article really ticked me off. Many arabs are saying the Marine shooting an injured terrorist is the same as the terrorists shooting a peace worker. How do they expect us to have sympathy for them, when they say these things.<br /><br />I truly truly blame the media for all of these terrorists. They put out stories to incite them.<br /><br />Ken<br />********************************************<br /><br /><br />BEIRUT, Lebanon - The chilling video of a U.S. Marine shooting and killing a wounded and apparently unarmed man in Iraq (news - web sites) dominated the Arab world's media Wednesday, overshadowing the slaying of a British aid worker who had been kidnapped by Iraqi insurgents. <br /><br /><br />The Marine shooting in a mosque in Fallujah was played and replayed, debated and portrayed as "evidence" of what many Arabs believe: that the United States is destroying Iraq and Iraqis. <br /><br /><br />Frames of the Fallujah shooting appeared on many newspaper front pages Wednesday and Arab satellite stations repeatedly aired the footage taken by an American television crew. <br /><br /><br />Al-Jazeera was among the stations airing the Marine shooting. The station said Tuesday it also had received a videotape showing a blindfolded woman believed to be Margaret Hassan being shot in the head at close range, but had chosen not to broadcast it. <br /><br /><br />"We don't show acts of killing," Jihad Ballout, Al-Jazeera spokesman, said of the decision not to show the slaying of the longtime director of CARE in Iraq. "We've never done it before, outside war." <br /><br /><br />Adnan Abdul-Rahman, a 34-year-old Syrian government employee, was one of those loosely linking the two killings and placing blame for both at the feet of the United States. He said Hassan's death was "a normal response to the crimes which the Americans are committing in Iraq." <br /><br /><br />"Violence breeds violence," he said. <br /><br /><br />The U.S. military said Tuesday it was investigating the shooting in the mosque to determine whether the Marine acted in self-defense. <br /><br /><br />Some Arabs portrayed the shooting by the Marine as a war crime committed by trigger-happy Americans, and the video as revealing the true face of the U.S. invasion. Others saw it as another debacle in the Iraq war that hurts America's image and efforts to restore stability in Iraq. <br /><br /><br />One Lebanese newspaper, As-Safir, called the shooting a "cold-blooded" killing. A Saudi pan-Arab daily, Asharq al-Awsat, warned of "another Abu Ghraib," a reference to the abuse of Iraqi prisoners by some of their American jailers. <br /><br /><br />Juan Cole, a University of Michigan professor who is an expert on Arab media, noted that at one point an anchor on Al-Jazeera "was almost having a heart attack, he was so angry," about the video showing the shooting by the Marine. <br /><br /><br />"He said, "Where are the Arabs? Where are the Arab states, why is nobody complaining about this?" Cole noted, speaking on the Public Broadcasting Service. <br /><br /><br />The pan-Arab daily Al-Hayat cited both killings as images of what is happening in Iraq now, Cole noted, calling it unfair for the Marine, whose case remains under investigation, to be compared to those who killed Hassan. <br /><br /><br />Amman car rental clerk Youssef al-Atoum was so disgusted by the pictures of the Marine shooting that "I switched off the TV." <br /><br /><br />"The Americans are criminals, they don't distinguish between a mosque and their places of battle, they want to exterminate Arabs and erase Iraq and its people from the map," the 29-year-old said. <br /><br /><br />Jordanian businessman Isa Samawi, 42, said: "Exterminating the Americans is the way to combat international terrorism." <br /><br /><br />Both declined to comment on Hassan, saying they had neither seen nor heard news of the killing of the 59-year-old aid worker who had been an opponent of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq. She was abducted in Baghdad on Oct. 19 on her way to work, the most prominent of more than 170 foreigners kidnapped in Iraq this year. <br /><br /> <br />A Lebanese Shiite Muslim cleric, Sheik Afif Nabulsi, said both the killing in the mosque and the shooting of Hassan were "barbaric acts that cannot be condoned."

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

YEP............Pretty much agreed on all of the above from here. But I will add, There will be backlash on this one if the marines leave him out on his own in this, they had better stand behind him or there will be hell to pay.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Hey gaugeguy<br /> Are you calling me a savage????? :D Take a deep breath. We all here know what they are.

oddjob

Commander

Poor dead arabs :) ...tisk,tisk :( .......Poor virgins :eek: ........opps...somebody fragged the cameraman :rolleyes: .......

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know what happened, I wasn't there. But if this man is going around shooting the wounded then he is little more than a simple murderer. No moral person could sanction an action like this.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Some Arabs portrayed the shooting by the Marine as a war crime committed by trigger-happy Americans, and the video as revealing the true face of the U.S. invasion.
So, just what the hell is this...<br /><br />
f639ff5a.jpg
<br /><br />I call it...<br /><br />A WAR CRIME COMMITTED BY TRIGGER HAPPY ARABS!<br /><br />Pay-backs are a b i t c h, aren't they!

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

What he did has nothing to do morality or murder and everything to do with protecting himself and his buds and you. Also that idiot cameraman.

gaugeguy

Captain

THOSE F-IN SAVAGES WERE SHOOTING FROM THE MOSQUE TO BEGIN WITH, HOW COME THESE F-IN ARABS DON'T CONDEMN THAT :mad: :mad: :mad: <br /><br />They should be happy, now Rhaghib can go to Allah and get his virgins ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Chris, I disagee, the people fighting in Iraq, may not be Iraqis. Remember, many of these guys are from other countries.<br /><br />Ken

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

This is not over yet. <br />If this outstanding marine is not given a commendation before it is over,receiving "HERO" status, and soon, this nation is going to retaliate on liberal and foreign media!<br />And even if the "official" findings don't recognise him as a hero, the majority of Americans will.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Chris Myers<br /><br />Iraq was and is harboring Al-Quida, both before and after 9/11/01!!!!<br /><br />They are the same!!!!!<br /><br />If you think they are seperate issues, you are WRONG!<br /><br />Saddam Hussain gave $10,000 to each of the hijackers families! $190,000 in total!<br /><br />That ties the 2 together!<br /><br />PERIOD!<br /><br />If you beleive that there is no connection, then you are just fooling yourself!

oddjob

Commander

Originally posted by wvit100:<br /> I don't know what happened, I wasn't there. But if this man is going around shooting the wounded then he is little more than a simple murderer. No moral person could sanction an action like this.
You havn't been reading and/or you dont understand combat. <br /><br />I would rather be imorally alive than morally dead. :rolleyes: <br /><br />Morals?....you aint a conservative...pleezz.

ob

Admiral

Would anyone have scrutinized these soldiers actions had they tossed three or four grenades in the building before they entered to insure the safety of the mission? What I would have done is a rhetorical question.What I do know is that any one of these soldiers could be sniped at any time from any direction.War is kill or be killed.If you don't want to die ,then don't hunker down in a mosque and shoot at American GIs.<br /><br />I like the above notion of having the jounalist be the first one in and secure the buildings.I wonder how many marine rounds saved his *** before he shot the footage.

oddjob

Commander

Oh boy here we go again..UK says it all..

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

My guess is at some point Saudi will get whats coming to them......fact is most of the islam nations stand against us......whether or not we are fighting them now doesnt mean we wont. War sux but I would rather be the victors then the losers and fact is even if this was a war crime( I believe it wasnt) our enemies have enjoyed us following the rules of war 99% of the time while they go about acting like barbarian savages that are warts on the face of humanity.......... I could care less if they are mad at us for killing insurgents wounded or not. I think we gave them plenty of time to get out of fuluga s/p? and if they chose to stay and fight to bad so sad.

NOSLEEP

Commander

What a bunch of crap. What the hull is a unarmed<br />insurgent. Its still the enemy. If you are a<br />willing participant, You are in harms way. <br />Split second decisions are made. And you are dead. Get the cameras out!

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

The same people crying about this are the one who say we (Bush) allowed OBL to escape from afganistan........I suppose if we would have walked into that country and wiped it out top to bottom we would have got him but we did it as politicaly correct as possable and he got away. I say there is only one way to fight a war against people like these people, and I use that term lightly with the insurgents, that is total all out war .......I want to win. These same people say howthis war is wrong because our boys are dieing well guess what they guy who did this is still alive and I say good for him.

cmyers_uk

"Prior to the attacks, bin Laden approved all al Qaeda operations and often chose targets"<br /><br />Payback would mean getting him and his followers dont confuse Iraq and 9/11 they are not the same thing