What is YOUR "Perceived" view on the Death Penalty

spratt

Lieutenant
OK, I was reading the post about the dead child, and saw Woodrats' postings about death and God...so thus here is a chance to allow everyone to let everyone else know how they feel about this subject. Is it up to God to determine who is deserving of death? Are our courts worthy adn capable to determine who dies for their crime? Shold the Death Penalty be abolished? Just what IS a humane method of administering the DP?<br /><br />Me first...<br /><br />I believe God created mankind to be born, live, and to die. I am not sure if He has a plan on exactly WHEN or HOW we die, but I know He will judge our lives AFTER we ARE dead...teh fact is that I just do not know!!!<br /><br />And, yes, I believe God gave us the ability to judge properly according to the crimes committed and we are capable and able to determine who gets the Death Penalty.<br /><br />Obviously I believe in the DP. Tell me how you feel after YOUR child is murdered. Plenty of folks have had to live through it.<br /><br />To me, to kill humanely is not possible. Jesus was hanged on a cross and nailed there to die. I believe traitors to our country deserve the firing squad. I believe that a child-killer deserves a like death.<br /><br />Now, y'all can rip me apart, or agree to your heart's content.

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: What is YOUR "Perceived" view on the Death Penalty

The inhumane part is putting them on "Death Row" for 30+ years while they try endless appeals. I understand the idea that we are trying to make sure no innocent person is put to death by the courts, but where do you draw the line?<br /><br />If they are guilty, they knew the penalty before they committed the act. If I'm not mistaken, premedetation is required in most all death penaty cases isn't it?

NYMINUTE

Captain

The death penalty is a must in cases where a life or lives has been taken. In cases like Peterson, it should be immediate, thus sparing the taxpayers further burden, and the families the anxiety of its being overturned. Texas is closest to getting it right. Frankly if I had a say in the McVie trial I would have strapped him to a i-beam in the next building to be demolished, and charged admission to those who chose to watch him die. The revenue from that would be given to the children of thos that parished in O. City. No rip here spratt.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

There are crimes where any other sentence is just not enough. I believe that the death penalty should be reserved for what it was intended to be used for, but what has become a cliche in this country, and that is "The Worst of the Worst". <br /><br />Some crimes are so horrible and unspeakable that there is no other fitting punishment for them. <br /><br />IMHO, killing a child falls into that category, and the bottom line on the other post is that they killed that child.<br /><br />I, too, believe that every precaution should be taken to ensure that an innocent person does not recieve the death penalty. The problem is that the current practice is not to prove that the person on death row is innocent, but that, though guilty, there are some type of special mitigating circumstances surrounding the particular unspeakable atrocity that they committed, that keeps them from deserving such severe punishment, or that there was some irregularity in the process that should allow them to have a more lenient sentence.<br /><br />A fair trial is guarenteed by our constitution, and everyone is entitled to that. There are appeals processes that automatically kick in. These are necessary checks and balances that are, and should be, in place, but after 3, 4, or 5 appeals give the same result, I believe the process should be declared exhausted, and the sentence carried out.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

An eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth<br />lethal injection is to kind for some of these animals.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Personally, I don't care. Seriously. I'm perfectly willing to turn that decision over to those who care deeply about it and have given it lots of thought. I'll not judge harshly anybody who either favors or opposes it. I guess by default that means I recognize the right of the state to carry it out.<br /><br />If murder were to touch my family, I would endeavor to forgive that person and reach a state of peace. But note that in my book, "forgive" does not equal "forget," nor does it equal "withhold punishment;" it's something that happens to the forgiver, and has nothing to do with the murderer. His/her fate is irrelevant so long as he/she doesn't pose a threat to anyone. The state will punish in its own way, and God will punish in His. I just need to get on with my life. I might not be successful. I might end up thirsting for revenge. But it just takes so much energy to maintain a grudge.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> Shock-a-con :p
Man you crack me up and the two penguins is just to cool. <br /><br />As for the question. In instances where there is no question on the persons gilt then cook'em. Like when they have video or 20 witnesses, something like that. On circumstantial evidence I don't think they should fry. To many (one is to many) people have proven that they had the wrong person. The strangest thing is if we captured OBL and not killed him I bet he would die of old age or by another inmate before the state would do it.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Fixin:<br /> An eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth<br />lethal injection is to kind for some of these animals.
Agree... Look at America's justice system some 200-300 years ago, compared to today's system.<br /><br />Death sentence was no problem.<br />People got shot dead on the spot.<br />People got hanged.<br />People even got 50 lashes at a whipping post.<br /><br />Times were much more harsh and justice was served quickly and was a major deterrent.<br /><br />Butch A.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Ya' know, I had one response all prepared, but I scrubbed it. It's the Christmas season. I have to be concerned with whether my son will have a safe journey home from school, 400 miles away; I have to be concerned with whether my daughter will be met by a drunk driver on her way home from work tonight; I worry about whether this will be a good Christmas, full of good cheer, generosity, and heart-felt warmth for my fellow man; I worry whether my 40 year-old furnace will see me through the winter; I worry about the bills that I will be getting in January; and I worry about those that will not have as good a Christmas as I, regardless of how meager it is. I could go on and on. One worry I don't have this Christmas, is my position on the death penalty. Like most, I have one, but to voice it and try to persuade others to agree, would be foolish.<br /><br />If the time ever arrives that I need to invoke my opinion, I will. But that time’s not now. <br /><br />Spratt, sir/madam, you need to get a family, some bills, and some worry. You have way, way too much time. You are a troll of the highest order. This thread is strictly meant to provoke, irritate, and inflame.

LubeDude

Admiral

OK, Im bad, here is what I think!!<br /><br />Guilty of Murder. Death<br /><br />Guilty of Rape. Death<br /><br />Guilty of child sexual abuse. Death<br /><br />Guilty of selling drugs. Death<br /><br />No more mister nice guy, and all within six months of conviction if the crime is an absolute conviction. Meaning that there is no doubt.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

My "Perceived view on the Death Penalty"? <br /><br />They need to use the electric chair, and other forms of "cruel and unusual punishment", MORE!! MUCH MORE!!! <br />
28.gif

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br /> Ya' know, I had one response all prepared, but I scrubbed it. It's the Christmas season. I have to be concerned with whether my son will have a safe journey home from school, 400 miles away; I have to be concerned with whether my daughter will be met by a drunk driver on her way home from work tonight; I worry about whether this will be a good Christmas, full of good cheer, generosity, and heart-felt warmth for my fellow man; I worry whether my 40 year-old furnace will see me through the winter; I worry about the bills that I will be getting in January; and I worry about those that will not have as good a Christmas as I, regardless of how meager it is. I could go on and on. One worry I don't have this Christmas, is my position on the death penalty. Like most, I have one, but to voice it and try to persuade others to agree, would be foolish.<br /><br />If the time ever arrives that I need to invoke my opinion, I will. But that time’s not now. <br /><br />Spratt, sir/madam, you need to get a family, some bills, and some worry. You have way, way too much time. You are a troll of the highest order. This thread is strictly meant to provoke, irritate, and inflame.
You could not be more incorrect, sir, and I am not a Madam, thank you. If you had read any of my posts before, you will have known I have all those things you think are missing from my life. There was some discussion in another thread about killing(s), and someone was being told to not touch the subject in that thread, so I simply opened the discussion so that everyone involved could get it out in the open. Believe me, this is not the utmost thing in my concerns...and I think you are way too out of place to even be judgemental concerning what I post about, since this is an absolutely open and free environment.<br /><br />And if you have all those "worries" then get off here and go take care of things, before you stress out!!<br /><br />Inflame? Provoke? Irritate? Is that what it is doing to you??? I think you must be outnumbered since there are plenty of folks who seem to have no problem posting their ideas, thoughts, etc...<br /><br />But then perhaps I should have posted some sweet little thread about the lies being told children all over the world about some figmentated bearded guy who supposedly knows when a child is being good or bad...'tis the season, I reckon...

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The Death penalty, as sentences are comitted in this country,Does not mean "death". It means a life on "Death Row", seperated from the general prison polutaion, many of whom would "kill first", when it came to convicted killers in thier midst.<br />IOW, it is a joke, because it delivers a longer, healthier life than it otherwise would,had the sentence been "Life with no parole".

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

YeeHaw, now I'm havin fun being a troll. spratt, you bit. Now to reel you in.

spratt

Lieutenant

Boat, it worked! If you did that to hook me, I deserve to be reeled in!!

spratt

Lieutenant

Actually, boat, I was in a mood to lash out, and by George, you were the first to walk thru the door...now I am preparing to leave this place of labor, and retire to a dinner of barbecued Pork Tenderloin...take care!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

On one hand, I approve of execution to prevent any possible future crime, and to save the society the cost of caring for the criminal for the rest of his/her life.<br /><br />On another hand, the appeals process costs the people more than putting the criminal up in a luxury resort for fifty or so years.<br /><br />Next point: Too many people on death row are being proved to be innocent. VERY powerful point.<br /><br />How many executed persons might have been proven innocent by modern forensic technology? What new technology might prove many more condemned to be innocent?<br /><br />Our system is imperfect. In a perfect system I would favor prompt execution, but since it is proven imperfect I no longer agree with death sentences.

spratt

Lieutenant

It definitely is a fact that, with DNA being utilized as mucah as it is now, many of hte people convicted of crimes are being found to be innocent. I wish there were a sure fire way to prevent that!! I have often wondered if there was not a vendetta in some cases!!!