What is YOUR "Perceived" view on the Death Penalty

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What is YOUR "Perceived" view on the Death Penalty

I have no problem with DP; I feel that when a person makes the decision to take another's life OR to live a life of crime, they have made the decision not to be a productive member of society - remove them!<br /><br />I also believe for may who make a mistake they should be given the opportunity to take an oath to live straight -- and let go. Failure to live up to their oath; severe punishment. We have no obligation to support someone who will not abide by the laws.<br /><br />I'm also with JB on the problem with those who are innocent being convicted -- most have to do with corruption in the system that motivates police, lawyers and prosecutors. Prosecutors don't want to lose, police contribute to that, and some get railroaded. <br /><br />By the way: I have a son-in-law who make a mistake as a young man (armed robbery) I would wish such a man for all my daughters (most have married well); but, this guy made amends and started as construction labor -- now owns his own company and what is great (besides being a great husband, father and -in-law) those who work with him respect him -- his word is good enough and he has extended his hand to helps others.

JRJ

Commander

If judged guilty, and given death, then death should come quickly. Trust the legal system and God will sort them out. A lot of really good people have died at the hands of mutants....

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

If there were a way to absolutely, positively, 100 percent without a doubt, prove guilt for murder of children, rape, and all other horrible crimes in this world, I say the shockacon method is too weak. I say shock em a little, let them think on it, shock em more, let them beg for mercy, then do em in. If the person commited these crimes, lethal injection is not hard enough. I say make it hurt. But then again I am Texan.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are some crimes where death is the only logical sentence. I get very annoyed with my own country's liberal softness on serious criminals. The sentences handed out here are pathetic - it's a criminal's paradise.<br /><br />For an example, check this story about a triple murderer let out on parole only 16 years later and offends again... :rolleyes: <br /><br /> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=9003455 <br /><br />The only concern I have with the death penalty is the possibility of convicting and executing an innocent person. The evidence would need to be very strong.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"Enforcement of the death penalty prevents recidivism"<br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

D

DJ

Hmmm, let's see, just where did I leave that rope?<br /><br />BTW, life offers no 100% guarentees of anything.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I have no "perceived view of the death penalty".<br /><br />I have a real view.<br /><br />Hang 'em High, bury 'em deep.

Link

Rear Admiral

spratt<br />I think you read pointers post <br />"The greatest troll ever. Contest!" and are trying to get nominated ;) <br /><br />First jtexas <br />
If murder were to touch my family, I would endeavor to forgive that person and reach a state of peace. But note that in my book, "forgive" does not equal "forget," nor does it equal "withhold punishment;" it's something that happens to the forgiver, and has nothing to do with the murderer.
So true! has to do with you not the perk. You will live a better/healthier life doing this.<br /> <br />JB<br />
Next point: Too many people on death row are being proved to be innocent. VERY powerful point.
Agreed<br />But if its not a case pending before DNA etc.. say a crime commented tomorrow morning while getting a cup of coffee at the local 7-11<br />And is not contested... then as soon as the trial in over take them out to the court yard and to quote roscoe <br />Hang 'em High, bury 'em deep.

ebbtide176

Commander

links post covers it well, as far as i'm concerned. except the method would be whatever is the cheapest & least messy, even if its painful... maybe tying their hands & feet, then putting them in a big ziplock bag and pushing them into an incinerator.<br /><br />or do we allow them to be organ donors?<br /><br />i hope we will always find better methods for proving guilt/innocence, but also maintain the DP for the worst offenders and as a deterrent

Devon

Cadet

My perception of the death penalty is that it is much too humane to ever be a deterrent against violent crime. The criminal, if unquestionably proven guilty, should be made to feel the same cruelty, pain, humiliation, and suffering as their prey did several times over. Take 'em right to the edge of death, make 'em hang there awhile, then finish 'em. The folks that killed that gal in Missouri and cut her baby out are the kind of animals that are most deserving of that punishment.<br /><br />Devon

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Another thought.<br /><br />I never did see the death sentence as punishment, but as a way to permanently remove the criminal from the society and to rid society of the cost of housing and caring for him (her?).<br /><br />Unreversable condemnation to life strikes me as a less merciful sentence. The only upside I see to a life sentence is the hope that some new evidence would get him released sooner or later.<br /><br />The problem I have is that I would rather free a hundred guilty murderers than execute one innocent.<br /><br />I used to believe that our system worked that way. I don't believe it any more. Today, our criminal courts are about winning, not justice.<br /><br />OJ probably did it, there was plenty of hard evidence, but the jury was not convinced, so they set him free.<br /><br />There was only circumstantial evidence against Peterson, but the jury sentenced him to death.<br /><br />In at least one case, justice was not done. Maybe two.<br /><br />With those odds I can no longer support death sentences.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Romans 13:4 says, "But if you do wrong, you should be afraid, for the authority does not bear the sword in vain! It is the servant of God to execute wrath on the wrongdoer." It is the responsibility of government to create lawful order.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

It is easy to take life and impossible to give it back.I do not wish the responsibility of life and death on any judge or jury. Therefore I am opposed to the death penalty.<br />That said,it is a completely different matter to kill in defense of beloved ones or in self defense.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I've though about this a few times..<br /><br />Put yourself in the position of being wrongly accused, imprisioned, sentenced to death, or even a long term sentence..<br /><br />I'm in my early 30's... Barring any unforseen circumstances, most of my life has yet to come... Maybe the better part.. <br /><br />I'm an innocent man, but circumstances beyond my control condemed me to death and placed me in the big house for the crime of murder... From the looks of things, one way or the other I'm going to be in a jail cell for a long while..<br /><br />Right or wrong, free or jailed, my life is now ruined...<br /><br /> Can you imagine being released after lets say 20 years on death row, with little more than a "sorry, we goofed" from the court that put you there, then trying to start a life all over again from nothing (cause your lawyers got everything you owned) with that kind of reputation shadowing you for the rest of your life? <br /><br /> I can honestly say, i'd rather be executed early on for a crime i did'nt commit than to sit in a jail cell for twenty years, knowing that perhaps the better years of my life went to waste....<br /><br />Maybe I value the quality of life too much..?

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

I see it like many here do- without a strong deterrent we get.....pretty much what we have, although it can and probably will get worse yet, even much worse, unless people in this country decide to deal with the stench of decay before it becomes too late- at least too late for democracy. I am very disappointed to see the extent of the decay in our society. We are so undisciplined these days. Study history, you'll get the picture.<br /><br />God did indeed give man (governments) authority to take life when necessary to prevent the further destruction of mankind. It needs to be carried out swiftly once a reasonable review of the case takes place (appeal) and confirms the judgment. This should all happen within 90 days of the arrest of the suspect in all but the most unusual cases. Execution should be humanely administered. Lethal injection seems reasonable. The executed convict may well suffer for all eternity; we have no reason to lower ourselves to their level just because we desire revenge. A chaplain should be invited to help the convict get ready to face his future. There have been a number get right with God after a life of sin but before their final day in prison. This is always a positive thing, although I don't see it should ever be any way to avoid their human penalty for their crimes. Neither Scripture nor reason would consent to letting anyone fairly convicted off of paying the price for their crime. Irrational emotion is the only argument in favor of that. I can well understand how anyone can have strong feelings when we see the innocent harmed, but this does not make revenge right. Neither should emotion be allowed to excuse the crime. If a murderer goes to the grave forgiven or at least having been offered the opportunity to make his peace, isn't that far better than allowing them a chance to murder again? Why make others pay for this man's crimes? Isn't there enough suffering in the world already? <br /><br />In no case should these affairs be allowed to become the circus that the OJ, Peterson, or many other trials become. I don't know, maybe the Brits do have a better idea here???<br /><br />That said, I do not support railroading anyone. Ever. The evidence must be clear. If in any REAL doubt, then no execution. I fully support reviewing old evidence in light of new technology to confirm guilt or reveal innocence if the circumstances even begin to warrant it. Further, I believe the prisons should be managed better to maintain greater control and promote more respect for authority and each other. Gain priveliges by being civil. Immediately lose all privileges by being violent, contentious, a wiseguy, or otherwise a pain to anyone. Bring back hard labor for those who refuse to conform. Only thing preventing prisons from being run right is all the ridiculous bleeding heart civil rights attitudes being asserted in the legal system. Forget that! No more prisoner lawsuits. Make them support themselves from the inside- and I do not mean by their underground drug based economy. We need to exterminate violent gangs. Being a gang member should nearly be a capital offense by itself. Of course there must be reasonable accountability for prison officials and staff as well. Most who work in prisons are OK in this category. Their main fault might in some cases be a touch of the apathy caused by excess bureaucracy and the flaunting of "prisoner rights" in their faces by sue happy inmates. (I've worked inside a state pen a little, just enough to see this at work)<br /><br />THEN, maybe the would be criminals will think twice and decide to take the high road for a change. Maybe if we executed more now we'd have fewer ever finding their way to death row later. Maybe society would again be a safer, less worrisome place to be. Who except criminals and nutcases would want it any other way?

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Snapper, I agree with your last post. I'd prefer to just get it over with too, at least if I had no hope of a reversal. But rather than rot in that cell and have to put up with all the other unpleasantries of prison living, especially those which come from the other wretched inmates, why don't we just get the legal system to function as it was supposed to- with the justly conmdemned not left to rot for a long while, and the innocent to be exonerated? Maybe the courts could just get down to business if all the dramatics and stunts were curtailed and all the lawyers otherwise quit playing games. On the other hand, if even after all these years of "enlightenment" and trying so hard to re-engineer society, maybe we should realize that we CANNOT perfect ourselves. Only when we realize THAT can we start taking REAL steps forward, with the help of the very real and personal God. Lets all face it, society is not getting better with mere education & technology trying to be supreme. We only get smarter and more high-tech crooks, and more distractions keeping parents from parenting, etc. Education and technology are wonderful (I make my living using technology in the education arena), but they are no substitute for good values and commitment to decency.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

So what your saying, Bearcat, is Lawyers should act ethically?...<br /><br />Woah... Dream on you dreamer.. :p :D j/k<br /><br />ps.. Not to re-hash it, but good values and commitment to decency, don't necessarily require God... I prove it everyday.. :) <br /><br />Have a pleasant evening, Gentlemen.. :)

mattttt25

Commander

agree with jb. fully support the death penalty, but am afraid of our ability to convict with absolute certainty. the long appeal process is a must if we are to put someone to death.

D

DJ

We no longer have a justice system that serves the people, we have a LEGAL system.<br /><br />JB said,<br /><br />"The problem I have is that I would rather free a hundred guilty murderers than execute one innocent."<br /><br />What do we do when more than one of the 100 guilty recommit their crimes? Just say, oh well?

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Snapper, <br />Yeah, I know, you're right- I'm dreaming. Would never happen unless by grassroots movement with near 100% participation. <br /><br />For me, I think having God included in life and law helps a lot because He gives us a point of reference with regard to morality. And what is a crime if not a flagrant offense to a society's concept of morality? The laws written reflect the moral values of the society they are written for.<br /><br />I do not dispute that many decent and good people contribute much to society who do not choose to be associated with God. This is a fact. Folks are free to choose this, and this is fine. Doesn't make them bad, humanly speaking. I have a number of valued friends in the area who fit into this category. They are fine people; I can't say otherwise. However it has been aptly said that there will be many good people in hell and many rotten sinners in heaven. (Scripturally speaking we're all in the same sinking boat to start with, and while all are offered rescue not all choose to be rescued) Fortunately God is the Judge and that is all up to Him alone regardless of my opinions. He hasn't asked me, and this is a good thing since He alone is fair, and I can only wish to be fair. He understands and knows, and I am far, far from having His wisdom and impartiality.<br /><br />Anyway, I welcome the good you do as much as I welcome the good from those with faith. I may not always agree with you, but neither will I condemn you. I can't afford to since I'm no better and might even be not as good. But one thing I know I have is peace with the one true God- the God we know from the Bible. I hope this is something you take another look at someday. What other Judge would justly sentence us to the death penalty which we deserve (ALL have sinned- Romans 3:23), then step down from the bench, take off his Judge's robe, then stand before the bench and submit Himself before the court as a substitute to pay the penalty in full in our place? (Romans 6:23) Both fully just, and fully gracious. Fully amazing and wonderful, too.