What do you pull your boat with?

Davied

Cadet
Re: I pull my boat with a travel trailer.

I have seen this double coupling also. Rarely around here. I asked about it myself and was told at that time in Ohio, that the length would be what would make it illegal here. When you travel through states where it is illegal, are you allowed to do so, because you left in a state where it was legal?

Southtowns27

Seaman
Re: What do you tow your boat with?

DSC01715.jpg

'96 12 valve Cummins, heavily modified

Last edited:

firedawg662

Cadet

I pull a 85 Bayliner 1710 with a '00 quad cab Ranger 4.0 with 260,000 on the tranny. So far so good.*crosses fingers*

I have seen this double coupling also. Rarely around here. I asked about it myself and was told at that time in Ohio, that the length would be what would make it illegal here. When you travel through states where it is illegal, are you allowed to do so, because you left in a state where it was legal?

If I ever decided to tow doubles, ill get this device which makes it a lot safer...

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What do you pull your boat with?

truthfully why would you want to besides not having another truck.my 2003 olds siluette has a wiering harness for towing no hitch but available ones are out there. you will destroy your transmission. cooler or not. vans are made for touring mostly not designed or geared correctly for the power you need to get out of the water with the boat. on flat surface you will do fine but hills? hold your breath. if there are hills there like there are here and ramps are steep. your van wont last a season. good luck

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class

New to me 93 toyota SR5 pickup V6. Fully loaded and has trailer brake control. New brakes, clutch, timing belt, waterpump, muffler, tires and shocks. Only 250000 miles! Pulls my little starcraft like it's not there.
20130809_142212.jpg

Buzz Killington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2007 Volvo XC-70

My boat is rather light and small (a 16' GT 160 clone) so it's effortless.

2005 F-350 6.0

No mods at all except what you can see on the outside. It was a custom factory build, though, so I got it exactly the way I wanted it. For its 10th birthday I'm planning to give it some new paint and do the 6.0 longevity mods (EGR delete, HPOP STC's, blue spring, and coolant flush). It's already had the cat removed. Ford replaced that every year until the warranty ran out and then it was history. Those early diesel catalytic converters did not play well at 40 below zero!

If you ever need help putting together a bulletproof list of your 6.0 powerstroke let me know, I've got lots of experience with them. Do you have an Edge CT/CTS monitor? I think the most important thing you can do (besides religiously changing fluids) is monitor the ECT vs EOT and never let the engine oil become 15*f hotter than the coolant (only while unloaded cruising on flat ground). Also, if you do lots of towing I'd recommend a Mad Turbo Werks turbo... I've got their stage 2a and seen a 300*f drop in EGTs while pulling our camp trailer that weights around 12k loaded.

1mudbug

Recruit

2004 grand Cherokee 2wd with te 4.7 V8 and a 2004 Wrangler I6 with 4'" lift and 35's:eek:. The Wrangler won't take it down the freeway, but the 10 mile trip to the lake is fine. We have 1996 Bayliner Capri 1950.

SailorDon

Cadet

If I ever decided to tow doubles, ill get this device which makes it a lot safer...

I wonder if that HogHitch contraption is heavier than the trailer I'm towing behind my travel trailer.
My boat trailer weighs 250 pounds empty and the boat weighs 150 pounds.

Here's a summary of the states that allow double trailering.

65 feet is the maximum length although some states allow longer.

To the guy that asked if you start a double trailer in one state and travel into a state where it is illegal, does that make it OK?
I gotta say, that's some really good stuff you've been smokin'.

Davied

Cadet

"To the guy that asked if you start a double trailer in one state and travel into a state where it is illegal, does that make it OK?
I gotta say, that's some really good stuff you've been smokin'"

Gee, I asked that! What do you suggest I smoke. Just kidding. With little thought, I then realized it would be illegal. Assume it would be the same as on a motorcycle where one state it is legal to not where a helmet, but illegal in some states that it is the law to wear a helmet. I think it was some pretty good sh*t, but I don't remember and I am terribly hungry all the time............:D

Aqualad

Cadet

I pull my 14' 1968 Alumacraft with my 2004 Chevy Silverado Z-71 4WD. Yeah, it's a bit over powered but hey, I don't like to get stuck.

truthfully why would you want to besides not having another truck.my 2003 olds siluette has a wiering harness for towing no hitch but available ones are out there. you will destroy your transmission. cooler or not. vans are made for touring mostly not designed or geared correctly for the power you need to get out of the water with the boat. on flat surface you will do fine but hills? hold your breath. if there are hills there like there are here and ramps are steep. your van wont last a season. good luck

I assume your talking about the guy wondering about towing with his minivan. Cause I know my truck can handle two trailers... Heck I've came across the scales just under 27,000 lbs. reply with a quote helps us all understand what/who your talking about! I agree that a van shouldn't tow a large boat, but I bet it can handle 3-4k without over heating.

I pull my 14' 1968 Alumacraft with my 2004 Chevy Silverado Z-71 4WD. Yeah, it's a bit over powered but hey, I don't like to get stuck.

First time I've ever heard a cheby owner say its over powered... But you must be used to 4 cylinder S-10's :dance::dance::dance:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

First time I've ever heard a cheby owner say its over powered... But you must be used to 4 cylinder S-10's :dance::dance::dance:

I wonder if he means overkill, not overpowered....;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if that HogHitch contraption is heavier than the trailer I'm towing behind my travel trailer.
My boat trailer weighs 250 pounds empty and the boat weighs 150 pounds.

Here's a summary of the states that allow double trailering.

65 feet is the maximum length although some states allow longer.

To the guy that asked if you start a double trailer in one state and travel into a state where it is illegal, does that make it OK?
I gotta say, that's some really good stuff you've been smokin'.

I know at least in michigan the only way to double tow is if the first trailer is a 5th wheel type, I am sure a lot of the other "double tow" states are that way as well.

LK

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I assume your talking about the guy wondering about towing with his minivan. I agree that a van shouldn't tow a large boat, but I bet it can handle 3-4k without over heating.

Some minivans are rated at around the 3,500lb mark and when used for towing that amount regularly explode the transmissions. We have witnessed it first hand at the campground / marina where we are seasonal and from personal experience with a Windstar that was allegedly fitted with the tow package and good for 3,500lb. We were towing less than 2,000lb at the time on a pretty low mileage vehicle.