What do you pull your boat with?

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What do you pull your boat with?

542279_402157399827835_1542087285_n.jpg

01 F250 V-10 12 inches of lift sitting on 36x15's
Dont even feel it behind the truck
Reciever is dropped 11"
Everything is great minus the gas millage lol.

countryboy26047

Petty Officer 1st Class

My setup isnt nearly as nice some here.. I drag around my 16' SeaStar Capri with a 2000 Dodge Dakota quad cab 4x4 4.7L V-8.. granted the boat/trailer aint much, but I don't even notice it behind me even on the longer hauls.

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pull my 84' Sea Ray Amberjack on a 31' galvanized LoadRite tandem with my 99' single rear wheel F350 crew cab 4x4. It's got the 7.3 and manual 6 speed with 3:73 gears. Superchips mild tune, factory cold air intake, turbo back open 4" exhaust. You'd never guess a 10,000lb rig was behind the truck. And in 4 wheel low with the trans in granny gear, just ease off the clutch and it acts like nothing's back there coming up the ramp. Plus I still get 18mpg empty and have 300k miles and counting!

Reel-hip

Seaman Apprentice

I pull my 25ft skip jack with my 1990 Ford 4x4 F350 turbo diesel. All this truck does is tow. This is the 3rd boat in it's lifetime that I have owned and it has towed, Each one gets a little bigger and heavier. It never complaines so I'm going to keep it!

Attachments

• 3-27-10 065.jpg
    3-27-10 065.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-27-10 070.jpg
    3-27-10 070.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 0

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pull my 25ft skip jack with my 1990 Ford 4x4 F350 turbo diesel. All this truck does is tow. This is the 3rd boat in it's lifetime that I have owned and it has towed, Each one gets a little bigger and heavier. It never complaines so I'm going to keep it!

Might as well keep it, one of our crew trucks (99 F250 7.3 6spd 2wd) went 800K before it broke a connecting rod. We rebuilt that engine and that truck should go past 1 million miles next summer.

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Might as well keep it, one of our crew trucks (99 F250 7.3 6spd 2wd) went 800K before it broke a connecting rod. We rebuilt that engine and that truck should go past 1 million miles next summer.

Wow. Thats awsome talk about getting your money out of it.

bgc

Ensign

I know, the only thing that killed the 7.3 was the EPA.

and then they gave us the 6.0 and everything killed it, just sitting it would break...... (but I'm still drivin it)

IMG_1207.jpg

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and then they gave us the 6.0 and everything killed it, just sitting it would break...... (but I'm still drivin it)

nice rig!
I like the way a 6.0 pulls, they're quiet and get better mileage than the 7.3. But every one I've owned had major problems. My personal truck has the 7.3 with 300k on it. And I have a newly rebuilt 7.3 on a pallet in the shop for whenever it breaks. I hope one of the big 3 will come up with a better option in the future. I'd buy a gas burner before anything available in diesel today. JMO.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I pull my Tahoe deck boat with a 2005 GMC 5.3, 3.73 gears, and it pulls just fine.

RamAirZ

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_1207.jpg

nice rig!
I like the way a 6.0 pulls, they're quiet and get better mileage than the 7.3. But every one I've owned had major problems. My personal truck has the 7.3 with 300k on it. And I have a newly rebuilt 7.3 on a pallet in the shop for whenever it breaks. I hope one of the big 3 will come up with a better option in the future. I'd buy a gas burner before anything available in diesel today. JMO.

If ya replace and modify a few things on the 6.0, the only problems the 6.0 will give you is injectors. But if you are a stickler for oil changes and typical maintenance it will be few and far between that it even gives you that. The 6.0's are good motors, run great when they are running good. Ditch the EGR cooler, update the oil cooler, add a coolant filter and a few little things here and there and it'll be almost bullet proof as long as you don't run a big tune on it (there just aren't enough head bolts, and even with studs it'll still lift the heads on big tunes with alot of boost). The 7.3 had it's share of problems too. CPS's, fuel drain leaks, under-valve cover wiring harnesses, wastegate actuators, lift-pumps, injectors, TPS, etc. Ya it saw less problems from the start compared to a 6.0 but in reality it still experienced ALOT of issues. As for the best diesel, a common-rail 5.9 or a 12-valve cummins are the best out of the box options, and a 98-03 24v Cummins with updated VP44 pump and FASS or AirDog system are still good, and you can still convert them to a P-Pump which will make them even better than the early 12v. I work on these trucks everyday, and ALOT of 6.0 fords, but when we get one in, we usually get the customer to upgrade all the crap stock parts and eliminate alot of the downfalls to it. Working on them for a living, I'd own one over a 7.3 any day of the week. The 6.4's are really nice and the 6.7's are good too as far as Ford's, but still, the Cummins rules the roost IMO.

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If ya replace and modify a few things on the 6.0, the only problems the 6.0 will give you is injectors. But if you are a stickler for oil changes and typical maintenance it will be few and far between that it even gives you that. The 6.0's are good motors, run great when they are running good. Ditch the EGR cooler, update the oil cooler, add a coolant filter and a few little things here and there and it'll be almost bullet proof as long as you don't run a big tune on it (there just aren't enough head bolts, and even with studs it'll still lift the heads on big tunes with alot of boost). The 7.3 had it's share of problems too. CPS's, fuel drain leaks, under-valve cover wiring harnesses, wastegate actuators, lift-pumps, injectors, TPS, etc. Ya it saw less problems from the start compared to a 6.0 but in reality it still experienced ALOT of issues. As for the best diesel, a common-rail 5.9 or a 12-valve cummins are the best out of the box options, and a 98-03 24v Cummins with updated VP44 pump and FASS or AirDog system are still good, and you can still convert them to a P-Pump which will make them even better than the early 12v. I work on these trucks everyday, and ALOT of 6.0 fords, but when we get one in, we usually get the customer to upgrade all the crap stock parts and eliminate alot of the downfalls to it. Working on them for a living, I'd own one over a 7.3 any day of the week. The 6.4's are really nice and the 6.7's are good too as far as Ford's, but still, the Cummins rules the roost IMO.
I would agree, a 12 valve Cummins is hands down the best light truck diesel engine. I've had a local shop do $5000 in mods to a 6.0 F250 work truck, studded heads, EGR delete, coolant filters etc. etc. and even with no tuner at all the dang heads lifted. That was it for the 6.0 for me. My friends with 6.4's tell me it gets 11mpg which defeats a big portion of my motivation to own a diesel. And I don't know much about the 6.7...but after the 6.0 and 6.4, I'm now a skeptic.

slalomskiing31

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone here tow with the Ford Ecoboost f150? Hows the gas milage and what do you tow?

2003 Dodge Cummins, pulls like a champ and I get 18 mpg on the freeway.

Last edited:

Aquaman-PSD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cummin=Great motor
Dodge=weak tranny and poor engineering

I will say they have eliminated most of these problems now. With new diesels you can't go wrong with a cummins or a stroker. The 6.0 was designed to target commercial customers and it did very well. have you ever noticed how many diesel company trucks are 6.0's and how many are dodge/chevy...

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cummin=Great motor
Dodge=weak tranny and poor engineering

I will say they have eliminated most of these problems now. With new diesels you can't go wrong with a cummins or a stroker. The 6.0 was designed to target commercial customers and it did very well. have you ever noticed how many diesel company trucks are 6.0's and how many are dodge/chevy...
Much of that has to do with purchase price, Ford is usually the cheapest and for most companies and municipalities, that's the bottom line.
And I'm a Ford guy, so when I say it's the cheapest I don't mean that in a bad way.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Anyone here tow with the Ford Ecoboost f150? Hows the gas milage and what do you tow?

A co-Worker of mine has one, he loves it. Considering the URIA tank on the new Ford/ GM diesel and the poor MPG they are all getting due to emissions, the Ecoboost is the way to go IMO.

270win

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A co-Worker of mine has one, he loves it. Considering the URIA tank on the new Ford/ GM diesel and the poor MPG they are all getting due to emissions, the Ecoboost is the way to go IMO.
Around here, diesel trucks don't have emission inspections, I know several guys that have removed the EPA garbage from their 6.4 trucks and the mileage and power increase is pretty impressive.