WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVIN'?

blacktie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVIN'?

I was a mechanical engineer for 13 years, then became a computer programmer for the next 10. I have about a dozen programmers who work for me right now, in a company of about 2000 people.

one more cast

Captain

I worked on a farm in the summers as a kid.<br /> After high school I got a job as a caretakers helper for a few months. Went to work in a Ethan Allen factory for a few more months then got hired at the local paper mill where I worked in alot of different depts. I ended up working as a shift machanic/machinist until I had to retire after 21 years of service in the mill because of Rhumitoid Arthritis.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow<br /> 6 years as an FC in the navy.developed some medical problems and was retired. a few years with Dans machine shop in Joshua TX. 6 years with GOEX programming and setting up CNC lathes and mills. 3 years vocational shop in high school(Hogan High in Vallejo CA). worked for several car dealers and boat dealers. I have had my own outboard shop since 94 but find most of my money comes from subcontracting my services to various dealers in the area. if I total up my tech schools since high school I have about 7 years worth now and still cant type:) :) .<br /> its all in the name of fun though<br /> good luck and keep posting

PW2

Commander

Let's see.<br /><br />Pounded nails to put myself through college, and then took a job doing environmental control of the above ground insulation on the Trans Alaska oil pipeline project.<br /><br />Got into wood products, and now manage a plywood mill in Northern Michigan, and a softwood veneer mill in Northern Ontario, Canada. It keeps me busy, and wore out yet another Jeep!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

been a mainframe puter reseller/broker for 10+yrs<br />and started my own co. about 3yrs ago. work outa<br />the house and stare at this screen 8-10hrs/day.<br />sorta explains all these posts... ;)

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

I run a surgical research laboratory at Arkansas Children's Hospital.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

I'm a manufacturing / design engineer now. Working on Telecommunication infastructure. Worked my way through high school as a roofer, then as a stocker at a grocery store. Spent 6 years in US Navy after high school, and between then and now have done everything from mechanical drafting to programming CNC equipment.

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been in construction most of my life and now manage all construction projects for RadioShack in California, Arizona, and Nevada.

skeezx01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IA dept of transportation maintenance garage mechanic,been fixin chainsaws to dragline cranes for last 9 years. one of the guys who keep the snowplows plowin all night and day when winter is "on". ditto on the retire at 55 thing then who knows..... :D

rogerwa

Commander

Gotta know about the pizzas!<br /><br />As for me I was introduced into the world of work at Fanny Farmer candies. I would break down boxes and clean the candy cases after school twice a week. I remember I took home $17/week on that job. I promptly took my check to the ATM and deposited it. The old ladies would always be pushing candy on me, and my mom always told me to refuse that kind of thing, so I did.<br /><br />I then worked at Mcdonalds and progressed up to shift manager. Whatever anybody makes a joke about or tells you, this was very good experience. I learned to lead people at a very young age (If theres time to lean, theres time to clean).<br /><br />During college and tech school I worked as a credit authorizer at a local department store. The credit staff on weekends were all college kids and would come in hung over on Sat. and Sunday mornings. It was not uncommon for many of us to be sitting there at 9:00 in the morning with our heads leaning on the desk or computer screen waiting for the calls to start.<br /><br />I now work for a Major Financial Services company as a lead technical architect designing and integrating brokerage and banking systems.

SoulWinner

Commander

Started out bagging groceries. Fired.<br />Worked for a cable company. Fired.<br />Delivered Pizzas. Fired.<br />Worked for Walley World. Quit while I was being fired.<br />Worked in construction, hanging/finishing drywall. Company went bankrupt.<br />Worked for a body repair shop. Quit. Went back, quit again, went back again and quit.<br />Worked for a grounds maint. co. on NAS Whiting Field. That was a summer job where I got to shovel poop at the sewage plant. Should have quit.<br />Joined the army and basically quit with a medical discharge.<br />Sold cars at the local Chryler dealership. Was fired and chased off the premisis by the owner.<br />Worked for a CATV electronics repair facility. company went bankrupt.<br />Went to college, two classes from my Bachelors I quit for two years, but went back and finished.<br />Worked on a road construction crew. Fired.<br />Now my wife and I operate a print brokerage for insurance companies out of our house.

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

worked for the same company for 25 yrs.started out working underground then did various jobs with them,last year had to take a medical disabilty,and now at the ripe age of 47 an returning to school this fall,to get a degree.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

OK, OK ,<br /><br />I work for Kraft Pizza Co, Tombstone Pizza Division.<br />We make Jacks, Tombstone, and DiGiorno Pizzas.<br />One of our assembly lines can pop them out at 148 per minute.<br />We make approximately 350,000 pizzas per day, between 2 and 2.5 million pizzas per week in our plant. 110 million per year.<br /><br />It all sounded better before you knew the details, didn't it?<br /><br />Kind of hate to admit I make those pizzas, with all the quality degredation they have experienced in the last few years. But thats what Kraft does to all of the product lines it aquires.<br /><br />Previously I have:<br />picked vegetables<br />hawked food and beer at Milw Brewers games<br />ran a small printing press<br />pre-press stripping and platemaker at large commercial printer -Best job I ever had.<br />drove semi<br />gopher at an injection molding plastics plant<br />and several other I have tried to forget.

Carphunter

Commander

Well, I am a Rocket Scientist.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />......Ok, really I have a pretty boring job. I am Production Manager for a company that manufactures Industrial Mixing equipment. (Check out indco.com).

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Worked on various golf courses mowing greens, tees and fairways through school.<br /><br />Went to work for a home improvement company, worked up to production manager, quit to return to school.<br /><br />Became a United Methodist Minister in 1983, went to seminary.<br /><br />In 1998 took a two year leave of absence, sold and installed home improvements for one of those years, sold cars the second year.<br /><br />Returned to serve churches in 2000, but now part time, I also operate my family hay farm and substitute teach.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Secondary job working in a dress factory & then selling furniture while in HS. After graduation started working with a survey crew. Have spent the last 37 years working as civil engineering tech in both public and private sectors. <br /><br />Primary job being LF's personal fishing guide/boat maintainer/recipe tester/house pest/slob/joke subject/scratching post/advisor/main squeeze. :D

ndemge

Commander

SW... your history sounds like my history at my current employer.... every department I have worked for, no longer exists......<br /><br />...Internet privder with cellular/pagingdevision...<br /><br />Hired on to do Pager Sales at Mall Kiosk,<br />That closed, <br />Opened at antother less theiving mall,<br />That Closed<br /><br />Moved to Main office to do Incoming Internet and Web Hosting Sales, they asked me to be an account rep to motivate one of our re-sellers to start selling.<br /><br />Offered a job by Reseller, accept<br />Quit after realizing they are a theiving company,<br /><br />Re-hire into retail store to sell internet/cellular and paging<br /><br /><br />Big CLEC bought our little ISP and closed the Cellular Devision.<br /><br />Move to Main office again to work in Web Hosting Operations Dept.<br />That Closed, and moved out of state.<br /><br />Moved to new Network Operations Center, Monitor Network and Support Field Installation Techs for DSL. <br />That closed and Moved out of State.<br /><br />Move to Materials Department<br /><br />Now working in the Warehouse as a Material Coordinator, Manage all RMA's for the company. One of only 2 people in the department with a 20,000 sqft warehouse and no boss's around to breath down our shoulders. We do our job and people let us alone. The job is part Technical, part Clerical, and part CoolHandLuke Style labor.<br /><br />Been at this position for 4 years now. March will only be 7 years since this all started.

LadyFish

Admiral

I'm the executive director of a private non-profit covering a 3 county area along the Gulf Coast. Our mission is to prevent blindness through early detection and treatment. We screen for vision problems and eye diseases in children and adults beginning at 6 months old. We provide free eye exams and glasses and sometimes surgery for those in need. I've been doing this for going on 8 years now. The most rewarding job in the world is enhancing the quality of life for someone else.<br /><br />Prior to that I was an operations manager for a Broadway Musical Theatre for 5 years.<br /><br />Prior to that I worked in commercial and residential real estate development as a project manager for 2 separate firms. <br /><br />I sold retail advertising and held office management and administration jobs before that. All the way back to the time I met Mr. LF where he was the State Inspector on a road job I was flagging for. First woman in NY state to flag and work as part-time oiler on construction and proud of it. I was only 20 or 21. :)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I work as a laundry manager in a prison for my living. On the side, and for FREE, I work as a police officer for a local town. I have been a autoparts salesman, mechanic, and a fitters helpr aka grinder gopher.