WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVIN'?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVIN'?

After college I spent two years in a green suit and managed to get out before Viet Nam got nasty.<br /><br />I worked for Bertram Yacht in Miami for a short time before heading up to Cape Canaveral and three years working there in aerospace/Apollo program. I got into information technology there and have spent most of my career in various IT capacities. I have worked for:<br /><br />Newport News Shipbuilding - 5 yrs<br />Florida Power & Light - 5 yrs<br />Ryder Truck Rental - 6 yrs<br />11th Jucicial Circuit Court of Fl - 5 yrs<br />Miami International Airport since 1991 & have 2 yrs to retirement.<br /><br />Bought my first boat in 1970

phatmanmike

Captain

keep it coming people. i start my second semester in college tomorow. im gonna be in healtcare, as nursing management. my classes are as follows this semester:<br />#1. composition<br />#2. college algebra<br />#3. psychology(sp)<br />#4. western humanities<br /><br />wish me luck so i can make the big bucks$$$$<br /><br />i wanted to be a propriotor of my own small engine/outboard repair shop, till my VA counsler told me how much money is in nursing managment. although i still wanna have my own small motor repair shop.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

WOW!!!!!!Some VERY impressive resume's here!<br /><br />Mine isn't great but here goes...<br /><br />61-65--Dishwasher to Asst.Mgr at Waffle House<br />65-68--Joint Knocker(Plumbing Helper)<br />69-72--U.S.Army<br />73-85--Manufacturing(Benders,Punch Presses,Lathes,Drills,Mills,Induction Brazers,<br />Various saws,Flaring and Deburring machines)<br />85-98--Trying to become a Certified Chef(Wound up being NOT)<br />99-NOW--Back to Manufacturing.Tomorrow I start a new position as Plant Manager for a Hydraulics Assembly company.The multiple machine experience is finally paying off.<br /><br /><br />>>>>>>>HAPPY BOATING<<<<<<<

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

lets see i started working on a dairy farm in the summer bailing hay stayed at it and was milking cows afternoons and weekends till the owner broke his back and i was then milking b4 and after school. after i got out of school i worked in a c-store,delivered medical equipment,installed energy efficient lighting, worked as a 911 dispatcher and have turned wrenches for the last 14 years for the last 3 I have worked for the city of Stillwater and if all goes well I will retire from there. I work on everything from weedeaters to D-4 dozers and am in charge of setting up all the new police vehicles. I also was a volunteer firefighter/EMT for 11 years in my home town in central NY

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey jimr, what town in central NY?<br />I'm from Herkimer & LF is from Little Falls.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I am a computer network engineer. I am currently contracted to a public office that has a republican representative. There are a couple hundred lawyers here, along with their support staff. I have been here for about 4 years now. They tell me I am not allowed to leave...<br /><br />I have been in the computer/network business for about 14 years now.<br /><br />Roscoe, not boring at all. Keep those pizzas coming please! What do you think us network engineers throw in the microwave in the middle of the night, when called in to work on servers?

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Grew up working on farms (dairy and tobacco) and for a hunt club. Most summers I was 'pier boy' at a resort on Lake of the Woods in MN (gas, bait, fish cleaning, rental boat maintenance/cleaning etc.,..)<br /><br />During college I did a lot of different junk:Rec. director at a Juvie facility, waited tables at an Austrian supper club, was 'Bango' the Milwakee Bucks mascot for a few years (best job I had ... one word - cheerleaders!!! :cool: )<br /><br />After college worked a stint in international missionary organisation as a project mngr.<br /> Then at Apple computer's eastern US operations in Char., NC as a '****-do' while bending nails for a design/build outfit.<br /> Moved back to WI, took job as a carpentry foreman for a commercial outfit building resorts while getting my engineering certs.<br /> Took job sup./project mngr. position with a custom home builder (6,000-22,000sq.ft. shacks).<br /> Got head hunted and went to work for a national builder/manufacturer as an engineer/estimator project mngr.<br /> Currently am an independant engineer/project mngr. for 'paper' builders.

FSHKPR

Ensign

first job was cooking for kentucky fried chicken, then went and worked for a car wash for a couple months then to dishwasher and later fry cook for hoffman house. joined the navy and cooked on san nicolas island for 4 years. came home went to school under a state program to be a machinist. and after completing they got me a job in a funiture manufacturing place. worked my way up to night supervisor till the place went out of business. then i got in at a local paper mill. i am still at the paper mill 19 years working as a millwright. cant say i like it all that much but i dont hate it and it does pay the bills and buy some toys.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I work for the largest hand tool manufacter in the word. I run Wera CNC profilators what I do in my dept. is turn the ballend hex keys,torx tools and hex and torx screwdrivers. It is interesting to see torx being turned on a lathe. Parts are held horizonal and the cutter with a single profile tool cuts the round stock 6 times for every 1 rotation of the chuck. Last year we made 10 million ball keys on 10 machines. Keep losing your keys it's job security. Some of the brands we own and make Craftsman,Allen,Matco K-d and General Tool.

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, where do I start?<br /><br />In the beginning:<br />1970-71 Worked at 49'rs Country Club in Tucson shagging golf balls, cleaning carts n clubs, shinning shoes, etc. Was fired when I asked for a raise. I was 13 or so.<br /><br />Drove a Combine on a farm for a summer, worked 12 hours days 6 days a week, I was 15 or so.<br /><br />Worked the next summer landscaping for the development I lived in in Rio Rico, AZ.<br /><br />In high school I worked from 2-10 pm at a local gas station pumping gas, minor repairs, etc. 40 hours a week. I also took college classes while in high school.<br /><br />After high school I went to college in Tucson & Mesa AZ.<br /><br />I worked as a phone solicitor then as Campus Security.<br /><br />I put myself thru the local police academy in Mesa, Az. with the Paradise Valley Marshalls Office.<br /><br />After graduation, I went to work with the Pinal County Sheriff's Office in Apache Junction, AZ. Those were the wild days, patrolled over 560 sq. miles, often by myself with no back-up. I've held suspects at gunpoint for 30 minutes or more. This was 1980-81 or so.<br /><br />I was seperated from Pinal S.O. because in my background I smoked dope as a kid in High School. Pure bull****.<br /><br />I went to work for Purolator Armored, now Loomis Armored, on the armored trucks. I managed the ATM accounts in the Phx. area the company had. <br />(Have gun, will travel)<br /><br />I worked as a reserve police officer for the Avondale Police Department, <br /><br />Then was hired by the Maricopa County Sheriffs Office in Phx. I worked the Transportation section taking inmates to court appearances. I worked 6 months of the year for Support Services doing Lake Patrol in the lakes around the Phx. area. That was a hot, fun, exciting job. Lots of action on the remote lakes. Back then we had 28 foot Chris Crafts. (1984 or so)<br /><br />After 10 years of law enforcement in the Phx. area I moved the family to central Florida.<br />I applied at 30 plus agencies. Ilene Warnos (sp) and Danny Rollings (sp) blew thru the Gainesville area and no one was hiring. I got a job with the Tavares Police Department, which is 35 miles North of Orlando. TPD was behind the times in 1991, with a 1980 mentality. Like Mayberry RFD. Anyways, 13 years later, the department pays well and is progressing nicely. I am a Detective, with my primary job as Code Enforcement for the City. I am a Traffic Homicide Investigator, Instructor in Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Human Diversity, Juvenile Sex Crimes, and general police topics. I taught myself Autocad and was doing Autocad maps for the Planning & Zoning Department of the City for 4 months or so. I am our Homeland Security Liaison and have acquired thousands of dollars of equipment for our officers from the Government. I can retire in 9 years but will probably work 12-13 more, vesting in the "drop" program when I hit 55 years old.

Skinnywater

Commander

I grew up washing parts at my dad's auto repair shop. I had considerable mechanical experience by 15.<br /><br />Early '75 after my Army discharge, I got a job in a VW dealership. My dad co-signed a loan with Snap-On for all the basics. Became tight with training and experience, a Master VW tech by '81.<br /><br />Opened my own repair shop and sold for a profit in '86. <br /><br />Had an offer at a Mercedes Benz dealer. Again I got tight with training and experience. Became a Master Mercedes technician. Lead technician and Shop Foreman from '91 til last year, 13 years.<br /><br />I opted for less stress, accepted an offer with same pay and benefits, 4/10's, and the perfect boss.<br />I'm now lead technician at a Independent Mercedes Repair shop.<br /><br />Thirty years flat-ratein' and wrench twistin'.

GradyBob

Cadet

Spent 10 years as a greenways and trails planner working for the public sector and consulting firms. Hung it all up and started my own business so I can spend more time with my kids. We are into real estate now. I have a couple nice vacation homes which we rent out in the Smoky Mountains and some rental property here in Fla. <br />You can check out our web site at www.mountianbearcabins.com

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was born and grew up on my parents dairy farm here in Central NY...best environment a kid can grow up in IMO..taught me hard work ethic, discipline and accountability. <br /><br />Started working full time during the summer for a contractor friend of my parents when I was 13, got home did my farm chores and managed to raise 6 or 8 heifers that I bought as calves to sell off by the time I turned 16 in order to buy my first truck (totaled it within a month). Bought a new (much crappier) car after that and finished high school working at Arby's (1 month), sales at Sears Hardware Dept., car wash, on and off with the construction...still coming home to do the farm work. <br /><br />After graduating from Canastota High School, I was on the move. Tried moving to Myrtle Beach, SC in February....85% of the people down there unemployed that time of year. So, I went to Denver CO with a buddy to visit his brother and ended up staying for a year. Worked in a student loan servicing co running printing, bursting, inserter, sorting machines 10 PM till 6 AM...loved the hours, loved it in CO.<br /><br />Came back home to NY and went to Onondoga Community College for a year (Business Admin major), transferred with a 3.8 GPA to SUNY Geneseo (Bio major), partied WAY too much at Geneseo, came back to OCC for a year (back to business). I still lack a couple classes for my 2 yr business degree, but see the wide majority of college classes totally irrelevant compared to on the job training/experience.<br /><br />While in school (OCC anyway) I did the construction work on and off again and started full time temporary where I am now which went on for a few years till I was hired permanently. I became a permanent cubicle jockey with this big life insurance company and have been for the last 5 years. I'm a cust. service rep/billing servicer for group insurance. Worked my a$$ off and received salary increase then a grade increase every six months. I've gone through the ranks really fast and now it seems like I've screwed myself in the end. I don't want to be the guy commuting to the city, walk with the cattle over to the 20 story building and sit in a box indoors all day staring at a screen. I've really come to know the filthy, unethical way in which a big company runs. When I leave every day, I drive about an hour back to my dogs, boat and horse on the 40 acre farm that I bought from my grandparents in the middle of nowhere and can finally breathe and be me. In the end I guess I'm the farm boy gone city boy and now yearns to go back to his roots. I've been volunteering at the Utica Zoo, which is a great experience. I love going there and working my butt off.....even for free.<br /><br />I want nothing more now but to get out of the cube, to get back outside, but it's hard. I love my life out of work..at home or on the boat fishing. Trouble is, I've become so dependent on the salary I make just to make ends meet with the house and all (complicated sale agreement with the grandparents), it seems impossible to change careers completely and start back at the bottom. But I know it's not and I know I'll do it. I'm just going crazy in the meantime...then I go home! Also ready to get the heII out of the cold north and fly south with the birds. <br /><br />So, any possible leads for a person that loves animals and being outside and on the water are more than welcome!! (for PETA...see? some people can love animals and hunt and eat them too!) <br /><br />Mr. LF...hey I know those towns! Seems there's quite a few people with ties to CNY on the board. I grew up in the hills between Canastota and Morrisville and am now just down closer to the lake in Durhamville on Rt 31 (just north of Oneida).

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Apprentice electronics engineer - fireman - coal miner - chaffeur driver (in Australia) - sapphire miner (Australia) - <br />Then came the biggie, nursing. I'm a Registered Psychiatric Nurse with 22 years experience in the Acute field. Presently I'm senior night shift in an Acute unit with an ICU.<br />I love this job, I've had the most personal satisfaction ever and life just keeps getting better. Then there's the work management - but thats another story. I'm well respected here and our team has an excellent reputation.<br />We're designing a new hospital presently and I'm also heavely involved in that.<br />I also have outside interests but if my employer knew that I'd be looking for a new job!!<br />Ross

Chonguey

Cadet

I work at iboats as your friendly Bulletin Boards Tech Admin, among other things. I'm also a full-time college student.<br /><br /> :D

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Started out training to be a school teacher - but got fired - very hard to achieve that.<br />Went Psyc Nursing but got fired for telling Matron she had a face like a chopping block.<br />Joined the Army and stayed for 8 yr.<br />At 28 bought a B&B Guest House.<br />At 31 built my 1st block of Motels.<br />Had a Clothing Factory, Clothing Retail shops.<br />Bought a Massage Palour (polite name for a ***** house - big one too, - 14 ladies per shift at one stage)<br />Moved to Aussie. Did a lot of Labouring Jobs etc till decided to build a Nursery. Over the next 12 yrs developed it in to quite a large Production Nursery (that's another name for a factory that produces limited number of lines in very large numbers.)<br />Always been a bit of a clown, completely out of step with every one around me.<br />Always had a ball of fun.<br />My motto is - no matter how good a business looks, the 1st question I ask myself is "am I going to have fun", and if the answer is not "yes", then i walk.<br />If I can't wake up every morning and go to sleep every night with a smile on my face - it ain't any good to me.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Kiwi Phil:<br /> Bought a Massage Palour (polite name for a ***** house - big one too, - 14 ladies per shift at one stage)<br />Moved to Aussie. <br />Phillip
Did ya bring it with you? ;) <br /><br />Aldo

radar750

Seaman

I work for the FAA, I am an Air Traffic Controller<br />at a ATCT facility in Boston, which is the control tower. Our job here is to safely seperate and space arrival and departure flights. We take them from 5 miles in and out also handle ground traffic.Before and after 5 miles flight radar tracking data is handled by a TRACON facility near the airport, ours is in Nashua NH which covers most of northern New Englang. Not bad on a nice clear day but can get crazy in heavey weather.

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I work for Michelin Tires, here in Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm on the machine that makes the tread for 18 wheeler tires. A little boring, at times, but it keeps the wolves away from the door.<br /><br />Kerry

Rain

Cadet

Hi All,<br /><br /> Boy, do I ever having a "boring" resume! Other than being a Camp Counsellor during High School and managing a Fish Market for a year, I've been in the Coast Guard for the last 22 (and reeeeeeeally ready to retire!). I attended Spokane Falls Community College's Saddle Making program from '83-'85 but dropped out a quarter before graduation to go back on Active Duty.<br /><br /> So when I grow up... I want to be self employed! And FISH. :) I need to take a few irons out of the fire so I can devote more time/energy/money to the fishing bit. :D <br /><br /> I also raise Nubian Dairy Goats and Foundation Appaloosa Horses... well... sorta'... I guess to call yourself a breeder you should actually SELL some of them. :) Right now I'm just treading water 'til I can retire in 2 years. Then I'll just look for a job that gives me plenty of time to fish. :D <br /><br /> Love,<br /> Rain