Wellcraft 186 eclipse stringer and deck restore

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Wellcraft 186 eclipse stringer and deck restore

Well i went to wally world and of course they didn't have the marine covers:facepalm: I know of some boat shops that have them but the prices are pretty high. I did find some car stereo install kits that might just fit the bill. My dimensions are 8 1/4 by 3 1/4 and they had all kinds of sizes. I just didn't want to buy one today before i saw some of the marine covers because i think i would like one of those better.

Today i finished pulling out all of my carpet since my new stuff doesn't match and i ground down the old carpet glue and finished my grinding on my deck. Tomorrow i will build some seat pedestal bases identical to the ones frisco built and then this baby will be ready for carpet!!

Don't buy the Walmart boat covers or cheap non breathable boat covers. They suck badly and will leave mildew spots on any gelcoat areas where it can't dry.

I liked the Marine Raider Platinum series boat cover for my boat. I put it on, and I know it will shed water but also allow it to breathe well.

So, for the old carpet remaining, what was the main method of demolition on the leftover carpet glue and fiber chunks?

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

stereo covers havoc :D lol not boat covers The stereo is marine grade by the way, the speakers are too. It doesn't look like a marine stereo, thats why i liked it. It looks cooler than the average white boring boat stereo

As for the carpet, i haven't suffered the problems that most have had with removal of the carpet and glue. The front seating section was the only thing left with carpet on it so i just pulled on the edges and ripped it all out, keeping it in one piece so i could trace it onto my new carpet. The glue i attacked with a 40 grit disc on my makita sander. I usually use a 4 1/2 angle grinder with a 36 grit flap wheel but the makita was already in the boat.

I didn't know academy had the covers. I will run down there in an hour or so after i go to the courthouse to pay my 10 dollar ticket i got for an out of date inspection sticker.. what a waste of time:rolleyes:

Also got my new Registration stickers for the boat today. Looks like we are good to go whenever i get this thing pieced back together!

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I went to academy and the had the cover in stock and for twenty bucks i thought it was worth a shot. It covers up all of the hole but of course it is too big :facepalm: Theres a piece of the dash that protrudes to and keeps it from being flush. I could probably go back and buy the sony cover they had for twenty bucks but i like the way this one opens better. I think I could grind the protrusion down and make it fit but i want to explore all the options before i do something drastic.

rickryder

Commander

Boat is lookin good T!

havoc_squad

stereo covers havoc :D lol not boat covers The stereo is marine grade by the way, the speakers are too. It doesn't look like a marine stereo, thats why i liked it. It looks cooler than the average white boring boat stereo

Well, I do sometimes enter a quazi-nap situation either right before, during, or after I post. I guess it was a good 5 min nap then that I never remembered before work.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Haha it happens to the best of us havoc!

Thanks ricky! its encouraging words like this that keeps me trucking along through this project.

Well after lots of modification and trial and error i got the stereo mounted up. I took a grinder to the cover and ground down the plastic to match the angles on the dash and it fit snug and covered up my gaps. Then the door wouldn't open all the way. It would snag about halfway up so i took a file and filed down the fiberglass under the dash to allow clearance. After i screwed that all in i took some strapping and screwed my stereo into place. Sounds easy right? I don't think so!! About two hours of playing with different bends and fumbling around with screws under the dash, I got her into place. It turned out awesome! It looks factory and after i screwed it in i noticed that the faceplate was angled towards the driver. This mistake turned out to be a good one, it makes the stereo easier to operate from the drivers seat.

Thanks Joe without your help, none of this would have gotten done today. Glad you pointed me in the right direction with the stereo cover!

5f2da3c6.jpg

884c5a82.jpg

e9c74567.jpg

The ken wood stereo is great. I would recommend it to anyone at this point. It very user friendly and has endless functions. It reads out the songs the user is playing through their iPod/iphone and you can search your music library from the unit. I also had to talk to a customer service rep when i was wiring it up because i could hear the cd changer working but no readout to the screen. It turned out to be a wiring mistake by me and the customer service rep had me up and running in about 5 minutes. I also got a real live person on the phone in about 60 seconds. It was a real surprise

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad it worked out for you.

The install looks great!

I'm going to check out that Kenwood, mine needs upgrading.

I'm getting ready to add some much needed things to my rig. The most important currently is deciding on a bimini top. Trying to decide between 6 or 8 foot. In the good sunbrella they are pretty pricey. I will make stereo upgrade depending on left over funds. :eek:

Keep up the good work on the boat!

havoc_squad

Well, you know what they say on replacement interior parts on non-standard stuff. (Stereo mounts/covers included)

On interior parts, if it fits, you either:

Paid OEM dealer price for a factory part. ie "Got Robbed" (not possible in this case)

<sarcasm>Somehow you screwed up</sarcasm> because nothing ever fits perfectly

Won the figurative lottery.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got lucky on my bimini :D but i don't think i will use it much. Between skiing and fishing i think it will just get in the way, maybe i will just use it for some lazy cruses down the river.

Well i haven't posted in a while, fishing has been absolutely amazing around here so I've been trying to do that and with school wrapping up i haven't had much time but today i cut out the kick plates that go underneath the port and starboard consoles. I made a plate that goes in front of these, kind of like a false kick plate that i will mount my speakers to and it will act as a speaker box. It also covers up the fuel fill and vent line on the port side.

Im still waiting on the carpet but I'm expecting it sometime between tomorrow and thursday, so if that comes in sometime soon this week i can install that and under the best circumstances have the boat splashed by this weekend, if not it will be next week or next weekend.

I was going to take some pictures of my new interior pieces and my seat mounts i made that are just like frisco's but my dog got hit by a car tonight and i spent a few hours with him at the emergency vet clinic. Everything checked out okay and he just suffered some road rash, so I'm hoping for a full recovery

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well today I pb'ed in my seat mounts. I used the old lounge seats to find a location i liked then i put my bases down and took a ton of measurements to make sure the new captains chairs would fit. Since i don't have my new seats yet i went on veada's website and they had the radius measurements on the website for my seats so i measured and moved my bases to where they needed to be so my chairs would turn 360 degrees.

They came out nice and should be able to fiberglass them tonight or tomorrow. Still waiting on the carpet...

4e8a3f80.jpg

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

65beb935.jpg

and my kick plates and dash supports

1c1aac77.jpg

This pic shows the space i will mount my speakers in

310cfbec.jpg

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also ran into a problem with the nav lights, Neither the running lights or the anchor light works, and it they worked not long ago. The dash lights come on so I don't really know whats wrong, any suggestions?

havoc_squad

Also ran into a problem with the nav lights, Neither the running lights or the anchor light works, and it they worked not long ago. The dash lights come on so I don't really know whats wrong, any suggestions?

First, make sure all your positive and ground battery connections are verified to be on the battery.

I know it sounds simple but start checking simple stuff and work backwards.

1. Next, grab a multi-meter. I hope you do have one, turn on all the nav lights, and go the bow nav light.

2. Grab the positive wire and the ground wire and use the sharp points in each wire to check for voltage.

If there is voltage, pull the light fixture and check the bulb or wire connections to the bulb.

3. If no voltage, follow the positive wire and work your way to most likely the dash console cluster. Check the fuses and check the voltage coming into the navigation lights switch.

Repeat steps 1 through 3 for the stern light mount.

This should, especially with all the demolition done and lack of clutter not take you very long to trace down and fix.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a meter so that should be simple. Im betting that when i installed a new switch on the dash i just knocked a wire loose, but it seems weird that the gauge lights come on but the nav lights don't. i checked for loose wires at the fuse block and they're all connected and making good connection. Its always something with boats :facepalm:

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well i got my seat bases glassed in today and had just enough resin to finish thankfully! They look good and sturdy so this means im officially ready for carpet!! I was told that it shipped yesterday:facepalm: and it has a 3-5 day ship time so this weekends splash is looking a little out of reach, but who knows. Im not getting my hopes up but it is possible... maybe. Im thinking its going to be like next wednesday at best, but i can live with that.

Im still having trouble with the lights, i checked the switch and its all connected there so i guess its time to trak down wires and look for one that may have been cut

Heres the seat mounts all glassed in, as you can see they are pretty darn close to frisco's mounts :D maybe he should patent these things haha

9c235b20.jpg

4dafc924.jpg

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I am now completely ready for carpet. I roto zipped out the holes for my speakers in the kickplates i made which was the last thing i needed to do before i could carpet.

The holes are nice and round:D

536cb664.jpg

If anybody doesnt have a roto zip i highly recomend getting one. Its not one of those tools that you need everyday, but when you need it it makes life so much easier.

Since i had all this done i decided to start her up and charge my battery a little since i had been playing the stereo a lot and i ran it for a good 15 minutes. she ran like a champ, had good oil pressure, and got up to about 130-140 degrees. Checked the fluids and all systems are a go! Now if i could just stop thinking about the splash :facepalm:

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well progress has really slowed lately. I had to wait on my carpet to get in till yesterday, but i couldnt find too much else to do over the weekend on the boat, so i built these with some of my leftover materials from the boat

85174104.jpg

I think they could possibly be the most durable set of washerboards I've ever seen. 3/4 in marine grade ply for the top and pressure treated 2x4's for the base They should last forever! I should have enough carpet from the boat leftover to cover them, so all in all i have about 15 bucks in these! Cant wait to pull up to a sandbar and break out my washerboards for a quick game

Anyways, back to the boat: My carpet came in yesterday and the color is pretty nice, but i just have no clue about installing this stuff. Ive done a search on iboats but i didnt come up with much. Its 12 ft wide so theyre wolnt be any seams anywhere, but i just dont know how to cut it to fit. A template maybe?? I need some help here and i know you guys are the people to get some advice from

Snapped a pic when i brought it home... couldnt help myself :D

e79d2296.jpg

havoc_squad

If you can do a transom, stringers, and fiberglass deck properly, you can definitely do carpet install right.

As I mentioned to someone else, carpet install is 80% preparation & planning, and 20% perspiration.

Before attempting or cutting anything involving carpet, you need to make sure you have all your console paneling 100% exactly how you want it and installed if it is permenant (fiberglassed in).

If you have no pictures on how the old carpet was installed, then you need to figure out where your main seams will reside.

Other than your raised seat pedastal mounts, the rear deck of your boat will be a breeze to get completed.

What I recommend is you get some painter's plastic roll that covers 10ft wide and cut practice templates like you are laying boat carpet. Yes it is slightly cumbersome, but you can cut slits in areas of it and put masking tape to hold areas down to keep it lying flat.

This way you can practice cutting those complex cuts on plastic that is cheap to replace, versus a big screwup on $80 of boat carpet for a critical section. The cuts don't have to be perfect on the plastic, just ball park close because you'll cut with a good extra buffer to ensure you didn't underestimate it.

Once you got your templates down well and verified enough carpet on hand, its supplies time.

Fresh blades, I cannot stress the urgency of using fresh blade on EVERY critical cut or anytime the first sign of dullness, change it out.

Always allocate 2 to 3 inches more than your measurements on all your carpet dimension cuts.

For the bulk of the carpeting job, devote a full entire day for the job at a 70 degree or hotter day with no possibility of rain.

Take this slow and steady working from the stern of the boat to the bow, rough fit cut carpet, trim, and verify before gluing down. Do NOT glue down any portion of carpet that is nearby where you plan on cutting through it, glue after you cut through it. (Seams, excess, etc.)

Make sure you have a straightedge, and something flat to evenly work the boat carpet into the glue.

By a big box of latex gloves and change them regularly when finished gluing an area. It is EXTREMELY easy to get carried away and smother carpet glue on the carpet fibers. Mineral spirits does a decent job removing the glue off the hands and the carpet fibers, BUT don't spill that stuff.

If necessary, next week I can post some pictures of the carpet job I did on my boat as a reference point if needed. Specifically, seams.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

havoc has you covered. Just to add, most important is to evenly spread the glue. If you've got a big glob somewhere, it will come through the carpet and that's bad.