Wellcraft 186 eclipse stringer and deck restore

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wellcraft 186 eclipse stringer and deck restore

Okay well i didnt get plastic but i got paper, i thought it would lay down better and it was much cheaper. my plan is to tape it up on the sides of the boat and roll it out like im laying down csm then tape it and continue working my way around until i have the whole deck done. If i have to do it three or four times, thats okay, as long as its not the carpet im cutting three or four times.

all of my console panels slide into place and they were carpeted seperate, so they shouldnt be a big worry. The small stuff doesnt scare me, its the 19 ft long piece of carpet thats a little intimidating.

It might take me a few days to get the template done, so i will start gathering up blades tomorrow, but i think i have enough spreaders and such to spread the glue out and plenty of gloves left over from fiberglassing... man im glad im not still doing that :D

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well i didnt get a chance to post yesterday, but yesterday i made my template for my deck which took about three hours. The paper was a PITA to move around once it was out of the boat, but it worked

90321f33.jpg

ff92223f.jpg

If i were to do it again i would use one big sheet of plastic, I think that would be easier to manage, but the paper worked.

Then i decided to bite the bullet and cut out my deck, i left an inch or more all the way around when i cut it.

a7b232d4.jpg

d7215c58.jpg

Theres one big wrinkle on the starboard side gunwale and im still trying to figure out how to get rid of it, Its a little hard to move around since its 19 ft long and 10 ft wide. Is there any tricks to gettting these out?

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Todays progress went much quicker, I found a duo-fast carpet stapler in my tool cabinet and it made life soo much easier. It made quick work of the almost 3000 staples i went through

7cf1a1cd.jpg

I could'nt resist mounting up my speakers

0e584800.jpg

dc16152e.jpg

4a2b6ddf.jpg

11ea99e0.jpg

I think that light holder is the coolest thing ever!

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only peices i have left to cut out are two pieces for the front compartments and i have templates for those so it shouldnt take long at all. All this carpeting stuff is really easy and fun! My goal for tomorrow is to cut those pieces out and clean up the mess that i have. Then if i have extra time im going to use some adhesive remover to clean up the old carpet glue and maybe get my dad to help me glue down the carpet for the floor.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cut out my final pieces of carpet today. Looks like it will be tomorrow before im able to start gluing them in though... Were getting closer! My goal is Wednesday for the splash

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer

d7215c58.jpg

Theres one big wrinkle on the starboard side gunwale and im still trying to figure out how to get rid of it, Its a little hard to move around since its 19 ft long and 10 ft wide. Is there any tricks to gettting these out?

Fit everything tight at the rear with some bricks or something, then pull the carpet areas to get the slack out of the carpet on the deck. The reason carpet bunches like that is because you either have something off-centered, or torqued incorrectly. From the way I see it, the corner is bunching your walkway section because it is cut too long and is pushing against it.

Dry fit the carpet as tight as "reasonably" possible on the deck. See how the carpet behaves at the edges, and you will get your answers.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there a specific method for laying down the adhesive? should i lay my carpet out and then pull it up to spread the adhesive or put the adhesive down first and then try and put my carpet in? Should i start in the front or the back?

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

All The carpet is in! Ive been working on it sice noon today and im just getting inside to post. I didnt take any pictures because i wanted to get the full effect and the dark lighting wouldnt have helped. I started putting pieces back in after dinner and its really been kicking my but! Im hoping to finish it up tomorrow so i can splash thursday. I will post some pictures tomorrow

tpenfield

Staff member

Looking forward to the pictures . . . these 'night jobs' can be tough, unless you can see in the dark.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the daytime pictures did not get accomplished, but i did get quite a bit of work done. Just stopped for a little dinner break.

20fb1b64.jpg

28e38fe7.jpg
f9b1d91f.jpg

bf5224b7.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member

Wow, that looks like it was a ton of work. You must feel relieved to have the main carpet down.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yes i feel a bunch of weight being lifted off my shoulders! Now if i could only remember where the rest of the stuff goes:facepalm:

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wellcraft 186 eclipse stringer and deck restore... SPLASHED!

Well i finished installing the last peices around three this afternoon so i cleaned her up and me and dad headed out

a769b6cb.jpg

Filling her up, she was turning a few heads at the gas station might i add
b786220b.jpg

Starting to back her up into the water... this is where i started getting nervous going over the checklist in my head
b19dff9b.jpg

Here it comes... SPLASH!!

ac141c97.jpg

It even started first crank!

A nice veiw over the bow.
f567a777.jpg

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stopped the splash to take a few pics, inspect everything and listen to the radio a bit.. Everything checked out fine and very little water in the bilge
11261536.jpg

99c8ab69.jpg

This makes all the work worth it

eb4cf39d.jpg

5880db39.jpg

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now all I have to do is cosmetic work, Im taking my rear sunpad and my trim peices to the upholstry shop tomorrow, my seats are ordered so now its a waiting game. She looks a little shabby in the inside, but with a little time she will be looking good

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good work!

I be that felt great.

I'm looking forward to your interior cosmetic/upholstery upgrades. I'm getting ready to do mine. Cant decide wither to do some, all, or none myself. LOL

Great looking boat, i almost bought an early 90's Wellcraft. I like the hulls on them.

Good pics keep em coming :)

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

It felt amazing. It was so great to see all my work payoff. Maybe next time i can enjoy it a little more, this was more of a sea trial run. We ran it at varying speeds for different lengths of time constantly checking the gauges (which worked about half of the time :facepalm:). I was pretty paranoid about every little noise and vibration, but i think thats a good thing. After a couple more runs like that and i start feeling confident I'm going to open her up and have some fun.

I did some small pieces myself but it took me forever. I have a lead on a guy that does upholstery that my uncle knew so hopefully i can get a good deal. Its a small shop so maybe he can have a quick turnaround. Im trying to wait until she's all buttoned up before i start inviting people to go out and my aunt really wants to go for a ride. I guess i shouldn't have waited so long to get it done.

I guess i cant seem to stop working on this thing, so i just went out and tried to clean up some of the upholstery... It turns out that the upholster actually has some bright white pieces that were so moldy they looked grey. Its looking better already!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Congrats. That's a real sharp boat and well worth some pro upholstery work. Most of the DIY stuff I've seen on here has looked very DIY.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks EZ! I just cant get over how good it looks in the water, it just looks fast. Im beyond proud of it.

I went by the upholstery shop today and the guy was super nice. To rebuild the rear sunpad, reupholster two cushions and two trim pieces he quoted me at $350 which i thought was reasonable. He told me to bring them by on tuesday after the long weekend and he would have me on the water by next weekend! Im pumped i cant wait to have her shining like new!

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hmm, somewhere I remember something about, "How in the crap am I gonna get this carpeted?!!".

Now the carpet is done, finished, and looks how it should. Completed with proper preparation with the basics known, and lots of sweat. No advanced engineering degree required.

I thought you were installing captain's chairs, did you change your mind?

Anyways, when you get the upholstery pieces fixed, keep in mind it is not hard to restore the other upholstery areas not being replaced or repaired that is still in good serviceable condition (no cracking, significant tears or dry rotting)

11261536.jpg

This picture above of yours is an example of how easily the Rustoleum vinyl spray when the surface is properly cleaned and prepared could make this look like new IF it is applied correctly.

If you can keep the blue and the gray portions of it from getting tears, cracks, or bad stains, the white portion is easy to fix.

Just pick up a bottle of mineral spirits, and scrub well with it using paper towels. Mineral spirits works a little cleaner than using WD40, leaves less problematic residue.

Check out this video for restoring vinyl in good serviceable condition, but color faded, or somewhat mildew stained

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_HkPtMys6o&list=PL02C318B574CD948D&index=63&feature=plpp_video

If you tape off and cover well what you don't want spray on for the upholstery pieces and apply it correctly, the Rustoleum vinyl spray does a bloody bang up good job. Be advised for a large piece of upholstery, you can go through 3 cans of the stuff, but its worth it if the fix difference is about $30 versus $275 or more.

I did it on my boat for my main rear side panels, and boy was I happy. Worth every cent for using that Rustoleum vinyl spray.