Way to go Iraq!

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Way to go Iraq!

Just got this email - can't vouch for its authenticity but hope it is for real:<br /><br />
Forwarded from a friend forward deployed. <br /><br />Subject: Iraqi Elections<br /><br />Brigadier General Mike Jones, Assistant Division Commander (Maneuver) of the 1st Cavalry Division in the Baghdad Central area. <br /><br />Dear Friends,<br /><br />It isn't over yet, but today there was a resounding victory for freedom and democracy here in Baghdad. Having been here for a while now, many of us have grown weary of the hand-wringers, worriers, pessimists, whiners, and host of others who have been telling us for so long that all is lost in Iraq. Today we witnessed just how courageous the Iraqi people can be and how much they love their new-found freedom.<br /><br />After listening to the pundits tell us how terrible the Iraqi Security Forces are, today I watched the Iraqi Security Forces stand tall. They protected 1,188 polling sites in Baghdad. Although there were a number of suicide bombers who attacked today, not a single one penetrated the perimeter of a polling site. There were several Iraqi policemen, and several Iraqi soldiers who lost their lives today. But they did not lose their honor or their courage; none of the 30,000 plus Iraqi Security Forces on duty in Baghdad ran away from danger today.<br /><br />At the site of our first suicide bombing of the day, voters did not lose their courage either. They quickly lined back up at the same site, spitting on the body of the suicide bomber as they passed by in line to vote. A woman came out of line and took the shoe of the bomber and put it on his face- a great insult to an Arab. The same was true at any polling site that had violence. Voters immediately lined up again to cast their vote. How many Americans value their privilege to vote enough to show that kind of<br />courage?<br /><br />We have listened to many experts talk about how the Sunnis would not participate in the election. Polling sites in Abu Guyreb were moved to Gasaliya because the Iraqi Election Commission was concerned about security in Abu Guyrb. We watched thousands walk down the highway- Sunni Moslems- on the 7 mile round trip to the polling sites so they could vote. All under the threat that terrorists had been making that they would kill anyone who voted. How many Americans would do that?<br /><br />All over Baghdad the story was the same and I could tell a dozen stories of great courage and determination. Despite the enemy's campaign of terror, despite danger, threats, intimidation, and the sporadic incidents of violence and terror today, Iraqis turned out in determined, large numbers to vote. The excitement was moving. Even though the terrorists have said they<br />will kill anyone with a "marked finger" (when you voted your finger was dipped in ink to keep people from voting a second time), voters paraded down the street holding their fingers up in joy and overwhelming pride.<br /><br />When I told one Iraqi I was sorry that people had died or been wounded today, he just said "freedom has a price, and this is the price that we must<br />pay". And every Iraqi I talked to said thank you to the United States for this opportunity, for this freedom, and how grateful they were for our help.<br /><br />I am sure it will only be hours until you start hearing all the "experts", most of which have never been to Iraq, start trying to convince us that today was flawed, failed, or somehow less than a wonderful day and a blow for freedom. They are the same people who say we are failing here, that you couldn't do an election on the 30th of January, and on and on. It is true<br />we haven't "won" here yet. It is not predetermined that we will win, and it will take continued sacrifice and determination on our part. Those who hate freedom and democracy will still fight, many to the death, to try to stop<br />this march to freedom and prosperity by the Iraqis with our help. They are terrified of the thought of a free and democratic Iraq that leads this whole region to a democratic future. <br /><br />But despite this, I encourage you from here in Baghdad, for at least one day, to ignore the pundits and experts, to enjoy a day where a blow for freedom was struck. Know that somewhere in the world, because of the sacrifice of your friends, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, and<br />countrymen, good won over evil, freedom over terror, and democracy over despotism.<br /><br />Last June 30, Iraq was given their sovereignty. Today, they earned their freedom. And we should all be joyful for that.<br /><br />All the Best,<br /><br />Mike<br /><br />

aspeck

Staff member

Great letter. Was surprised listening to the BBC on Sunday - seemed very PRO what was happening in Iraq. Opened the call in show for Iraqis to give there view, and a large majority of them were grateful to the US and her allies, grateful for Freedom, grateful for the chance to vote, etc. One commentator asked, "But after voting you will be going home and your homes are still without electricity and running water." The Iraqi replied, "Yes, but we are free, and we are proving it today. The rest doesn't really matter."

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by agitator:<br /> To think that there are those in this country that are disappointed with the turnout and election success. Dan Rather will have a long trip home as will some others. I love it. My son has served two tours there so far with nary a criticism or complaint. I take the boo birds and bad mouthers rantings kind of personal. He leaves a wife and 3 small children behind each time. Events today seem to somehow make their efforts and sacrifices worthwhile but not without sadness for those lost.
can't think of a better post MYself... thank your<br />son for me please ;)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Just another American sucess story, brought to you by the US Military and the coalition of the brave.

PW2

Commander

I have no idea how this will work out. I hope it works out great like you all seem to think it will. It is possible, perhaps.<br />My only point is that this is a long way from being played out--we don't know what will happen, both in Iraq in drafting and implementing a constitution, or even the consequences in the region from this, whatever they may be.<br />It is a good start no doubt, but only a start, and the difficult part of actually creating a government of Iraqis that is stable, secure, is fair, and allows self determination, is a long way off, and far from being assured by a single act of voting.<br />If that is pessimistic, so be it. I would classify it as cautionary and that there is lots of work yet to be done, and lots of time available before the champaign corks need to be popped.

aspeck

Staff member

PW2, your above post is cautionary, your first post is pessimistic. If you can't see the difference in the posts ...<br /><br />I agree with our second post, it is only a start, but it is a good step in the right direction. I have been "living" in a country that went many years without an election. Now, they have just concluded their 4th election (I have been here for all 4). What a difference!<br /><br />The first election was a bit of a sham, but the people felt empowered, even though the dictator was elected. He was re-elected after 4 years, but the margin was closer, and the people felt braver.<br /><br />The dictator set up term limits, so he was done. The opposition party won the next election, and the country took a deep breath, what would happen? Power exchanged hands relatively smoothly (much easier than our 2000 election). 2004 was the 4th election, again, all went well, the people are happy and bolder, and all is well.<br /><br />It starts with a step, the first vote. If you shoot down the first vote, there will not be a second, third, or fourth. Yes, be cautious, but keep the faith and hope for the best. It will make you a happier person!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Of course, it's far from over. The bloodiest chapter may yet lay ahead, PW. I hope and pray not, but there IS still an enemy out there. That's why you don't go yanking the coalition forces home just yet. The enemy does not want what is happening to happen. They want this transititional government to fail utterly.<br />And the Iraqis may yet choose a very anti-western route for thier future. I doubt it, because many are greatfull to the coalition for thier chance at freedom they've been given.<br />As profound as the first man on the moon, This is a baby step for the world at large, but it's a giant leap at the same time, for a new nation of people yearning to be free.<br />They dont have a viable police force or governing body yet...But they have just elected the commission that will dictate what that police force and governing body will BE.<br />Learn to se good news for what it is.<br />The entire world is not as anti-freedom as we are led to believe by Aljazeera and the emerate majority. Give the Iraqis (and by proxy,the Coalition) a chance.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wonder what the outcome would have been if Saddam was on the ballot?

PW2

Commander

The one thing I absolutely agree with is that given the opportunity, most people will choose freedom over tyranny.<br /><br />Unfortunately, it is rarely that simple a choice in real life, and the inevitable grab for power rarely brings out the best in our leaders.<br /><br />Time will tell, but it isn't easy. Even we still have difficulty with the concept. We should be thankful for our founding fathers for putting in safeguards to our liberty and distributing power so that no one branch of government gets too much power. And even here we see personal liberties, the constitution, and the judiciary under pretty much constant attack.<br /><br />If we are still struggling with some of these concepts after more than 200 years, it is hard for me to believe that the Iraqis are going to get it all right first time out.

aspeck

Staff member

I don't think I ever heard anyone say they would get it right the first time, it is a work in progress! Ghana has had 4 elections since the dictator days, each election runs a little smoother, each time the people feel more enfranchises with the process, each time there is more a sense of a government truly run by the people, each time the "loud mouth, power grabbers" are quieted a little bit. It still is not perfect, but it keeps getting better.<br /><br />That is my hope for Iraq, and it starts with the first vote.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by aspeck:<br />......each time the "loud mouth, power grabbers" are quieted a little bit. It still is not perfect, but it keeps getting better.
When will that happen here, aspeck? Ted Kennedy is louder than ever! :D :p

KennyKenCan

Commander

Well duh PW2,<br /><br />What did you think, it was going to be an instant responce? Of coarse not. Iraq has a long way to go, but just look at how far they have actually come in the last 20 months!<br /><br />Same goes for Afganistan...<br /><br />You ask, when are we going to get out of Iraq? Lets ask this question first! Well, how long did the U.S. stay in Germany and Japan after WWII? The answer is...WE ARE STILL THERE! This August will be 60 years!<br /><br />The United States does not abandon those it liberates, NEVER HAVE! So why is it, everyone keeps making these demands to get out of Iraq? We will leave Iraq, when Iraq is stable enough to support and defend themselves, and not a moment sooner! That is what the caring, and a determined U.S.A. does! It just may take 10, 20, 30, even 60 years before U.S. troops can fully be removed from Iraq. If thats the way it has to be, then so be it! Its too bad we couldn't do the same in Vietnam. But Vietnam is a perfect example of what can happen when politics dictate the direction of a war, just as you kept proffesing that thats the way we should have been doing it in Iraq. Politics should only get us involved in a conflict, then leave it up to the Commanders of the United States Military take care of the rest, just as we are doing in Iraq today. This lesson needs to be taught to each and every American.<br /><br />U.S. involvement will be long term, very long term! To say we will do less is an insult to me and the rest of my fellow countrymen who believe wholeheartely that what the U.S. did in Iraq, was the right thing to do, at the right time in history, and an even a greater insult to those who died for the cause. Its also a great insult to the Iraqi's who begged and pleaded with the U.S. to invade them, so that they could be liberated.<br /><br />Yes, mistakes were made, no one can deny that, but name a war where there were not any mistakes? The U.S. believed that the Iraqi's would fight to the death. Well guess what, they didn't, and that made us change our stratagy. How would you have liked to have been in charge of that monumentuous task. Who ever it was who was in charge, did an outstanding job at turning our conquring fighting forces, into liberating fighting forces. And just remember this, that person had to have direct involvement with his Commander in Chief, President Geo. Bush.<br /><br />So many people were willing to critizize this war, and this President, that alot of you were, and are, so blinded by your personal hatred for George Bush, you couldn't see the bigger picture. Fortunatly, most Americans could, and did! The U.S. elections in 2004 proved that!<br /><br />Throwing your ideas out there is not a bad thing, whether you agree or disagree with a policy, but to bash a President and his administration because of personal hatred will get no one, especially Americans, absolutly no where.<br /><br />You've brought up many, many good points during the past couple of years, but I have personally resisted responding to them, just because of your bottled-up hatred, that triggered further hatred for people who thought that way. <br /><br />In the future, maybe you could try thinking the situation through, instead of flying off the handle because of some media spin, or radical politician you have heard along the way. Wait for the facts to arise, then make a logical decision, is all I'm trying to say.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Great post KKC.........I think the liberal left will never see anything that happens in Iraq as a victory. No matter what, they say we are failing and yet time after time we( the USA ) prevail and do what our Prez. said we would. We won the war in a very short time and we stayed to help the people of Iraq begin the process of starting a new demacracy, by making sure every Iraqi has the option to vote. The thing is the Libs want it on their timeline not on a realistic timeline. When Iraq is completely liberated and everything we said we were gonna do is done, Ill bet my bottom dollar they will still call it a failed mission and bash Bush.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by theriver:<br /> I wonder what the outcome would have been if Saddam was on the ballot?
Maybee he coulda got 99% again,huh? But alas, he was (in a manner of speaking) impeached. Beside, he doesn't get out much these days.yukyuk.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I wonder what the outcome would have been if Saddam was on the ballot?
Over 100 different candidates were on the ballot and there was I believe room for a write in. The murderer seems to have lost 99.6% of the popular vote in just a matter of a couple of years. It might be time to re-evaluate his contribution to Iraq if you think he was anything but a genocidal murdering dictator.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

The US and its coalition of the willing has its work cut out for it then, it has set a precedence: There are many countries that need to be freed from genocide and murderous dictatorships. Since Iraq has been proven that it was not about weapons of mass destruction or a connection with 911 (unless you are stupid enough to believe everything you watch on FOX), America should be looked upon by the world as the tyranny and freedom police. For assistance, just call 1-800-DEMOCRACY. Soon after we are completely broke because we owe ALL our debt to China as we mostly do already, we can just roll over and wave a white flag. <br /><br />Its time the US minded its own business. Except for terrorism initiatives. <br />Example: If the US had let the UN do its job in Iraq even if it took longer than Bush wanted, to determine that in fact there were in fact no weapons, the US wouldn't have had to go to war. PERIOD.<br /><br />The UN does work. The US Government only wants it to work when it suits them.

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm really glad Iraqi people are finally getting a break.<br /><br />Whatever the outcome, I still think it was a dirty trick though, pretending it was about WMD or 911 when all along it was clearly about getting rid of sadam.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by KKC:<br /> And the PROTICLE TROLL returns...
I don't think so this time. He stayed on-topic, was decent, and raised some good points with this one. He actually contributed!<br /> <br />And I agree with some of it. We are sending a strong message to the tyrants and mulluahs (sp) around the world, that humanity (not just the United States' citizens), but every human, yearns to be free,and we won't long tolerate tyrany. We never have. And given the opertunity to help, we should. Just as with Tsunami aid, "freedom aid" should continue as long as there are free folks to carry such aid out.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Rudderman:<br /> I'm really glad Iraqi people are finally getting a break.<br /><br />Whatever the outcome, I still think it was a dirty trick though, pretending it was about WMD or 911 when all along it was clearly about getting rid of sadam.
Now this one is a troll!<br /><br />You know recent American history as well as I do.<br />There was and still is, NO pretense regarding WMD. We proceded upon the best inteligence we had available at the time.<br />Why does this continue to perplex some people?<br />Is it just to troll? Surely,you still have a spark of memory of what took place in Iraq in 1988 to the Kurds. He used them.<br /><br />Surely, you don't really think there ARE NO WMD. Sadamn only had 3-6 months to spirit his stash off, and cover the tracks.<br />My bet would be on a huge amount of what he used to own, now belonging to the nation of islam, probably in Iran, but may even still be in-country.It could be at Daytona raceway too. Who knows?<br /><br />And the final report never stated there "were none".... It stated ,"None were found". A large diference. turn a light or two on, rudderman. It must be dark as hell in there.