Walmart's at it again....

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Walmart's at it again....

I am not doubting what you are saying 20/20, just seems strange that I have friends, good friends that have worked for them at the Super Centers around here since day 1 and have never heard them complain about anything. Maybe they are brainwashed into not saying anything. Don't know.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I have to admit that Walmart gets every break that government can give them. They use the size and diversity of products to put specialty shops out of busness and become the only local resourse for many items. This is their busness model. They live lean and they take advantage of their employees to make the most from the least.<br /><br />With that said, that is what every company in this country is trying to do. I watch companies do this everyday. I don't have a huge issue with it.<br /><br />What it does do is export jobs and provide lower levels of quality to those who can't afford to have low quality items. By sending a huge amounts of manufacturing to china and utilize the loaf of bread a month labor market with no environmental laws, or regulations regarding working conditions we absolutely ensure that the american manufacturer can't stand a chance. So we then grant them most favored nation trading status and drive our economy into a service based work force. With the loss of benefits for all but the stocking and customer service jobs that are not requiring of specific technical training. Walmart is by default sending all of our jobs overseas so they can line their pockets. But anyone can see this, but year after year they have record sales and growth. <br /><br />I don't believe they are doing anything but what the laws allows. And the people who lose their jobs then work and shop at walmart furthering the problem. If the country of origin had to be prominately displayed you would fully appreciate how extensive they are tied to overseas mfg, labor, and politics. There is the real story be the lazy press won't take the time to research and expose exactly how the chain is assembled. They are happy taking cheap shots at some drone in the name of the public good. Walmart is truely a cancer on the country, but they are NOT doing anything illegal. I just won't shop there anymore. Give K-mart a couple of years and they should be able to compete head to head with the walmarts in certain markets. The problem is they will have to utilize the same tactics and they are more than capable of doing just that. Watch for stock reports from other retailers who will pay big bucks to hire key players away from Walmart to enlist their contact lists.<br /><br />Walmart is good at what they do and it will be next to impossible to slow them down without tarriffs to control the spread of their influence. That or the forced influence of a union should raise their costs substantially.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

There a 2 issues Walmart have developed well.<br /><br />1. They have reversed the "push-pull" cycle to "pull-push". In other words, a munufacturers Rep no longer "pushes" product on Walmart, with the result Walmart are stocked with product they have to "push" on the customer. <br />Walmart decide what sells well and "pull" that from the Manufacturers. The equivalent Chains in this country are moving that way too.<br />2. They source their product manufacturers from 3rd world nations, principally China because of price. That puts local manufacturers and the Mom-Pop retailer out of business. <br />This situation will exist so long as China can control the value of its currency. <br />America, just like all the Western world, have floating currency's. I have heard China's currency is about 30% out of kilter.<br /><br />When America (and it has to be America as it is the most developed economy in the world) stops fiddling around with stupid foreign policy issues and starts correcting something like this discrepancy in China's manipulation of its currency, 2 things could happen.<br />1. American (and western) Industries will be on a level playing field. (they can produce quality product at competitive prices, which people will be proud to buy.)<br />2. There will be a lot more skilled employment available to us and our children, and we will all benefit from living in better societies.<br /><br />Just my views<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> I am not doubting what you are saying 20/20, just seems strange that I have friends, good friends that have worked for them at the Super Centers around here since day 1 and have never heard them complain about anything. Maybe they are brainwashed into not saying anything. Don't know.
Thanks again SBN, & others I was afraid this thread may turn ugly. Like I said in my 1st post making someone work is not a bad thing, if they don't like it they can find another job. I also just wanted to make sure that folks should not believe the flyer's and great media coverage for corporations like this. My whole point is that WalCrap is not as great as they make themselfs look. SBN, it is funny how you mentioned the brainwash thing, they use peer presure for many things also. So in away, yes there are mind games constantly. For those folks that work there and have a good boss I hope it stays that way.<br /> <br />The 2 last post were well written and thanks for making some good points. Also don't forget though, what is illegal for us middle/poor class folks is not the same for a huge corporation with power and the God allmighty dollar.

tommays

Admiral

i dont love wally world at all but i can say that a LOT of there stuff is made right here on long island i know because we make it<br /><br />and its not high end its the massive quanity 2 dollar a bottel stuff and you no what they cant MAKE IT CHINA they might be able to make the empty bottel but they cant make the stuff inside<br /><br />its been tryed with bad results there is still a lot of stuff we do BETTER and cheeper<br /><br />tommays

Skinnywater

Commander

They live lean and they take advantage of their employees to make the most from the least.<br />With that said, that is what every company in this country is trying to do. I watch companies do this everyday. I don't have a huge issue with it.<br />
That's a good post Pointer.<br />All the complaints made here against Walmart are by no means unique to Walmart.<br />And all complaints against Walmart are completely symptomatic of other issues.<br />The stakes are high to blame Walmart at the expense of correcting those core issues.

SCO

Lieutenant

Gotta blame a lot of this on the American Worker that thinks nothing about using sick days as vacation days, and a general resentment about working what they perceive as menial jobs, directed at their employers. I just saw "Cinderella Man", great movie. It shows what the work ethic used to be. People don't really have to work these days, and so they don't, so companies like Walmart have to set up these kinds of policies. I'm no Walmart defender, I don't like that we no longer have any family run hardware stores but business has moved on and we the consumers have voted for it. The worker entitlement attitude bugs me because it only goes one way...to the worker. It is stealing to take a day off and call in sick. People think nothing of it...in fact they are self righteous about it.

crab bait

Captain

the number one bisness in the usa is walmart.. <br /><br />number two isn't even on the radar screen ..<br /><br />GMC..

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by tommays:<br /> i dont love wally world at all but i can say that a LOT of there stuff is made right here on long island i know because we make it
I do agree that some stuff is made here but for the most part alot{more then less} is made in 3rd world countrys.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SCO, I agree with you that sick time should be used for such, but in the same sense these companys give so much per yr. Take Joe he works and never misses any time. Then take Bob he takes all of his sick time because he knows he'll lose it if he doesn't. Joe can see what is going on and gets mad because after he builds up so much time he starts loosing it. It is one of those no win situations, except for Bob, atleast until something serious happens and he needs time.<br /> <br />Skinnywater you are correct that this doesn't involve just walcrap it involves all big corporation. The reason I use walcrap is 1st because the thread is about them and 2nd I worked for them as many of my friends still do. These corporations paint themselfs in a picture that would compare to Jesus himself, but what the people fail to see is the devil in charge.