Walmart's at it again....

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Walmart says if you can't be available 7 days a week (even on your days off) you will be fired<br /><br /><br /> http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/nat_world/061505_APnat_walmart.html <br /><br /><br />(6/15/05 - NITRO, WV) — Workers at a West Virginia Wal-Mart store have been ordered to be available to work any shift at any time or face dismissal. <br /><br /> <br />The new "open-availability" policy at the Wal-Mart store in Nitro is needed to ensure there is adequate staff during peak hours, said John Knuckles, a manager at the store. <br />"We have many people with set schedules who aren't here when we need them for our customers," Knuckles said. <br /><br />"It is to take care of the customers, that's the only reason." <br /><br />Workers who cannot commit to being available for any shift between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m., seven days a week, will be fired by the end of this week. The store employs more than 400 workers. <br /><br />"It shouldn't cause any problem, if they are concerned about their customers," Knuckles said. <br /><br />Wal-Mart corporate spokesman Dan Fogelman said other stores have such rules. <br /><br />"This is something that is done throughout Wal-Mart stores," Fogelman said. "The reality of retail is that our busiest times are evenings and weekends, so it only makes sense that we have higher staffing levels at those times." <br /><br />Workers who are fired because they cannot meet the new requirement likely will qualify for unemployment benefits, said David McMahon with Legal Aid of West Virginia. <br /><br />"If these people lose their jobs through no fault of their own, as a general rule they will be eligible for unemployment benefits," McMahon said Wednesday. <br /><br />A union spokesman criticized the policy at the non-union retailer's store. <br /><br />"This is a chilling new direction for Wal-Mart," said Chris Kofinis, communications adviser for Wake Up Wal-Mart, a promotional campaign financed by the United Food and Commercial Workers union. "It shows that when you work at Wal-Mart, you can neither afford a decent standard of life or even have a life."

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Walmart's at it again....

My a** would be fired!<br /><br />This goes way way way beyond anything Walmart or any other employer has done since the nineteenth century, if you ask me.<br /><br />I literally didn't believe so I looked up the Charleston Gazette on-line. Yep there it is.<br /><br />Still unbelieveable. This has the ring of a hoax to it. Just "unbe freakin leavable".

JRJ

Commander

Sounds odd. PPPlanning if folks aren't scheduled to cover needs ahead of time. I think the manager will be going back to the stock room if he is lucky.

ZmOz

Captain

Generally, when I see someone b*tching about walmart, I tell them they don't have to shop or work there, and walmart is only so huge because so many people love to shop and work there.<br /><br />This, however, is pretty ridiculous...there should be laws against this kind of BS.<br /><br />(Though I still say, if the workers don't like it, they can go work at k-mart)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> (Though I still say, if the workers don't like it, they can go work at k-mart)
...who I might add is lucky to still be in business. Could there be some relationship here?

Skinnywater

Commander

This, however, is pretty ridiculous...there should be laws against this kind of BS.<br />
Obviously Walmart wants employees who can adapt to all their policys and criteria. <br />Good for them.<br />If they can find employees to legally meet those needs, what's the problem?<br />If they find themselves too narrow and difficult an employer, they will be short employees.Then they will be forced to change policy, proceedures and pay.<br /> Why in America would you want to make a law to upset this very basic, natural and sound principal?

Link

Rear Admiral

Wonder how many employees wil say sure NP.. and start looking for another job while they still have a pay check comming in... thats what I would do. :)

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

My son works at Walmart, and he has not heard anything yet. He does say that thay are pretty demanding, and especially always suspicious.<br /><br />They can only park in certain areas never too close to the building, you know, cause they may just be close enough to take something,

PW2

Commander

Yeah, I don't see the problem. I worked in retail for a time during college, and that is the way it is. <br /><br />A good manager will try to schedule so that people can plan, and cater to those that have families and such, but bottom line is they have to have their store covered during hours they are open.<br /><br />If they want a 9-5 M-F job, I'd suggest they try something other than retail.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are many jobs that require an employee to be available on reasonable notice 24/7.<br /><br />I've had several.<br /><br />That article is carefully crafted to make it sound like employees are on call to respond instantly 7-11/7. I really doubt that that is the case.<br /><br />I think the policy is directed at the employees with a "set schedule" who fail to show up, or refuse certain shifts. Those employees need to work somewhere else.<br /><br />Another example of how "journalists" can turn normal business practice into unfair exploitation.<br /><br />I wonder how much that "reporter" got from the union for his biased and misleading article.

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

That sounds more like the truth JB.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

JB.." wonder how much that "reporter" got from the union for his biased and misleading article"<br /><br />here goes again, another Union bash. Lets beat up the Educators Unions as well for their methods that sway the media and the public to fund the endless school budget referendums asking for yet more monies to expand their fiefdoms. Can't touch education " 'cause it's for the children".<br /><br />IMO, WW employees can choose to abide by the companies policies that are within labor laws, or move on.

rwise

Captain

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> My a** would be fired!<br />
MIne Too, take this job and shove it, I aint workin' here no more................<br />I was on call 24/7 for many years, never again!<br />You need me that bad, it's gona cost ya.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

I think JB nailed it exactly. This is all about people who refuse to be flexible in their work schedule. Not a reality in retail or in various other professions.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

"said John Knuckles, a manager at the store"<br /><br />Better do what ole Johnny Knuckles says....you might get a late night visit from his associate Vinny Bone Breaker Boom Bah. ;)

Homerr

Commander

I tend to agree.. If you don't like the schedule, then don't work there. Simple as that.<br /><br />However, I'm curious what would happen if you didn't make it to work for a reason that was beyond your control (sick kid, car broke down etc..) If they fire you because of that, then that's pure BS.<br /><br />H.

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just called my son this morning and he said that he gets 2 days a week off, except it is only through the week, never on the weekends. He only thing that pi**es him off is when he has to work overtime, and they never pay overtime. It is just added to the next pay period, or they will have him come in late one day.

dolluper

Captain

Why doesn't Walley World just invest in robots then they wouldn't have to worry about labour laws like up here in Canada that would not be allollowed without overtime, oncall pay must be rougher in the states to make a living down closer to the bottom of the chain Hummmm

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No intent to bash the union for bashing the employer, pjc. Just asking a question. The reporter or the paper clearly has an anti-employer agenda. Maybe it's just an anti WalMart agenda.<br /><br />The article is bashing the employer with misleading statements and even outright distortions.<br /><br />I am sick of the whining and sniveling of people who take a job then immediately start attacking their employer.<br /><br />"Employees who cannot meet the "new" requirement". .. ??? What is that?? Be available as scheduled and show up for work?<br /><br />Gimme a break. :mad:

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I hate Walmart. Agreeably, if you don't like the rules, then don't work there. However, that is a dangerous statement to make. With that kind of thinking, we don't hold employers responsible for the way they treat there employees.<br />My wife and I NEVER shop at Walmart. Ever. We purposely pay more money at other stores so as to not support Walmart. In other words, we put our money where our mouth is. We are fortunate that we make enough to be able to do that.<br />I feel sorry for the people that work there.