Walking foot sewing machine -- Reliant Barracuda

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
DASH PICS -- STRUGGLING WITH THE COLOR SCHEME A LITTLE HERE

I think painting the drown fiberglass to a cream color may help.

Original

I tried this but changed it to black -- As I mentioned earlier -- It looked a little to pimped out.

wellcraft-classic210

I am going to try raising the drivers position a few inches by adding padding to to the seat and increasing the back height.

I scavenged some foam from a couch set we owned that had a short life.

The new foam glued to the plywood.

Seats done --

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I used Acrylic Enamel w/Hardener on my boat and have been really pleased with the results. A lot of others here on the forum have used it with Great results too. Ace Hardware is now making their own Brand "Rust Stop" and they have a LOT of color Choices" AND will custom mix colors too!!! Check that out as well. Any of the name brand hardeners will work with it.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You Upholstery work looks great! I did my boat with Rustoleum. So far, very happy with it.

wellcraft-classic210

Finished the drivers seat -// raised the driver seat 2 inches & the back 4 inches.

This one was complicated with 50 pieces of vinyl in the back section / 86 total

Love that Rex607z machine -- for $300 ish its a real bargain

Last edited:

wellcraft-classic210

Next project -- I am going to try & reduce leaks in the camper canvas now

The Glass on the 2 rear side panels and the 2 back leak at the bottoms -- the are atteached with velcro -- The screens have degraded from UV and stretched making it hard for the velcro to align. I am thinking of sewing the glass to the canvas with the lower portion on the OUTSIDE of the canvas ( sort of like roofing shingles ) and adding some curved zipper sections into the glass.

Sailrite has a video on how to do the zippered windows -- I am open to suggestions on keeping the water out at the seams

Also need to add some flaps to cover these open areas

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I personally have not done side curtains but I would think that sewing the window to the outside is going to look too unfinished.

I have heard that using basting tape would help waterproofing. I would just make new side curtains.

EDIT: You say the glass attaches with Velcro? You have a better picture of that?

Last edited:

wellcraft-classic210

Bruce

Thanks for your interest !

You make good points on the seams and fabric;

-- I am just not sure how trustworthy seam tape will be for a good seal. I was thinking of sewing only the bottom of the window glass to the exterior and covering it with some matching fabric.

--The fabric and zippers seems to be in pretty good shape so I am tempted to salvage it. If I can get some learning out of this I can replace the entire canvas when needed in maybe 3-5 years or so.

Looking forward to loosing the Velcro as its too leaky

But I am definitely open to suggestions -- Pics posted below.

Rear panel with glass down ( note the misaligned bottom which was common as the screen stretched and sagged unless special effort was used to align it )

Rear panel with glass up

Torn screen with uv damage

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Here is a video you should watch.
http://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Insta...n-Canvas-Video
Note how the window is installed before cutting fabric which is why you may just want to make a new panel.
Since the window is on the outside of the fabric panel, very unlikely it would leak into the boat.

I wouldn't use a screen again.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you do make new panels, you are going to need to look into buying a binder. I use the Sailrite swing away binder. After going through a few binders, I have found it's the best one I have tried.

Some people don't put binding on the edge of panels like this but I think its a way more professional look. I use a 1" binder. I used to use smaller binding but it is way harder to work with.
http://www.sailrite.com/Binder-1-Swing-Bracket

wellcraft-classic210

Can anyone offer advice or rule of thumb's on

--When to back stitch ( or when not too )
--Pros & cons of sewing the same seam twice for redundancy - added durability ( does this weaken a seam in vinyl if too close ) )
--When to use a Zig-Zag stitch.
--Other related tips.

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.