Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

• Total voters

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

I'm in. Mine is a 1977 Orrion 15'10" with a 1975 75 hp Chrysler modified to an 85 Chrysler with a Frankenstien mopar ignition system with an MSD Blaster coil setup and L86C spark plugs. This boat is 99 percent used on the Pacific Ocean out of Humboldt Bay, California which has an entrance bar that can be very hostile. I fish Pacific Halibut, occasionally tuna, salmon and rock fish. I closed in the open bow with a wood cover that hinges up from the bow, and I store 20 gallons of fuel in the bow for better weight distribution. No fuel is in the stern. The fuel location change occurred 90 days ago and almost eliminated the tri-hull wave slapping for larger waves. Smaller wind chop like a lake or bay still makes for a slappy ride. A fuel line attaches via quick disconnect where the stern tanks normally are so I can put some there if I want. The line quick disconnect is attached there and runs to the bow compartment where it attaches to 3 portable tanks up there. I can run over 40 gallons of fuel for long ocean trips if I want. So far I've only ever used 4 6.5 gallon tanks for my longest trip offshore.

The Youtube links are some stuff I shot while fishing 10 miles offshore. Farthest offshore with it was 35 miles off shore for tuna one day.

Stomper, with a covered bow compartment

Returning from 10 miles out with a 56 pound Pacific halibut

Same fish. The life jacked padded him from damage from the engine securing clamps. Note the bungee cords which are "anti torque" compensating at cruise speed for "hands off" steering.

Same fish

Same fish again

DSCN1708.JPG

Electronics layout. Left to right, Lowrance Mark 5X pro sonar, Eagle Cuda 250 GPS and sonar, Asus EEEPC with Sea Clear chart plotter software networked with the Eagle gps and also AIS input from the #1 VHF AIS receiver, Standard Horizon Matrix 2100 VHF with AIS receiver, Icom IC2000 VHF Ham tranciever, and extreme right is a Garmin GPS60CS with full marine charting installed as a backup chart plotter. In the Pacific Ocean, backups and sometimes double backups are what it takes to guarantee safe passage into the entrance with heavy fog and marginal seas. This boat has 3 chart plotters and 3 vhf radios.

The boat design was a pleasant surprise for ocean seaworthiness. It takes 8 foot seas all day long, and with proper weight balance (fuel forward), it rides pretty well as long as the wind chop is longer period than what you get in a bay or lake.

YOUTUBE links at sea in the tri hull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAsVnXHspRI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c4ioyd8MCA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbSCYimSXnU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZfyx0inwg4

Very kick ***! Thanks for sharing.

mj05

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in. Mine is a 1977 Orrion 15'10" with a 1975 75 hp Chrysler modified to an 85 Chrysler with a Frankenstien mopar ignition system with an MSD Blaster coil setup and L86C spark plugs. This boat is 99 percent used on the Pacific Ocean out of Humboldt Bay, California which has an entrance bar that can be very hostile. I fish Pacific Halibut, occasionally tuna, salmon and rock fish. I closed in the open bow with a wood cover that hinges up from the bow, and I store 20 gallons of fuel in the bow for better weight distribution. No fuel is in the stern. The fuel location change occurred 90 days ago and almost eliminated the tri-hull wave slapping for larger waves. Smaller wind chop like a lake or bay still makes for a slappy ride. A fuel line attaches via quick disconnect where the stern tanks normally are so I can put some there if I want. The line quick disconnect is attached there and runs to the bow compartment where it attaches to 3 portable tanks up there. I can run over 40 gallons of fuel for long ocean trips if I want. So far I've only ever used 4 6.5 gallon tanks for my longest trip offshore.

The Youtube links are some stuff I shot while fishing 10 miles offshore. Farthest offshore with it was 35 miles off shore for tuna one day.

deck1.JPG

Stomper, with a covered bow compartment

DSCN0189.JPG

Returning from 10 miles out with a 56 pound Pacific halibut

DSCN0191.JPG

Same fish. The life jacked padded him from damage from the engine securing clamps. Note the bungee cords which are "anti torque" compensating at cruise speed for "hands off" steering.

DSCN0191JPG

Same fish

DSCN0196.JPG

Same fish again

DSCN1708.JPG

Electronics layout. Left to right, Lowrance Mark 5X pro sonar, Eagle Cuda 250 GPS and sonar, Asus EEEPC with Sea Clear chart plotter software networked with the Eagle gps and also AIS input from the #1 VHF AIS receiver, Standard Horizon Matrix 2100 VHF with AIS receiver, Icom IC2000 VHF Ham tranciever, and extreme right is a Garmin GPS60CS with full marine charting installed as a backup chart plotter. In the Pacific Ocean, backups and sometimes double backups are what it takes to guarantee safe passage into the entrance with heavy fog and marginal seas. This boat has 3 chart plotters and 3 vhf radios.

The boat design was a pleasant surprise for ocean seaworthiness. It takes 8 foot seas all day long, and with proper weight balance (fuel forward), it rides pretty well as long as the wind chop is longer period than what you get in a bay or lake.

YOUTUBE links at sea in the tri hull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAsVnXHspRI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c4ioyd8MCA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbSCYimSXnU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZfyx0inwg4

WOW! What else is there to say!

mj05

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ALMOST was eligible for the club this fall! It was a 15' starcraft tristar with a 90hp mercury. I was soooo close to pullin her home (even had the wife's blessing!) but the floor was starting to rot, the engine wasn't running, and I have no garage to store or work on it, so i had to pass.:( Any chance I could join the club as an honorary member or something?? :D

redfury

Commander

I ALMOST was eligible for the club this fall! It was a 15' starcraft tristar with a 90hp mercury. I was soooo close to pullin her home (even had the wife's blessing!) but the floor was starting to rot, the engine wasn't running, and I have no garage to store or work on it, so i had to pass.:( Any chance I could join the club as an honorary member or something?? :D

Nope, I've been building my boat sans garage for 5 years, there's a guy doing it in the parking lot of his apartment complex...no mercy...go get that boat! :p

BTW, Sea Stomper....yer a beast!

Yukonfisher

Recruit

I just picked up one in nice shape with an easy refit. I redid one back in the 80's that was older thgan this one so I am eager to get involved. Maybe it will make identiftying this easier, need a throttle control for it.

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know tri's are not the best ride but they have sooo much class!:)

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The first time I saw one before I owned one, I laughed at the appearance. Now that I've used it in 8 to 9 foot seas, I ain't laughing anymore. And I ain't getting rid of it.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Count me in

SANY0917.jpg

018.jpg

SANY0680.jpg

Last edited:

im in but you might be ashamed but i love this boat

Attachments

• me with boat full.jpg
    me with boat full.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got a 70`s ...Chrysler Valiant .....the makers catalogue back then called it a "cathedral hull" does she qualify to join ? If so I`m in . boat hull.jpg

redfury

Commander

well, it isn't a V hull...I'm fine with it! :p

Pikechaser

Recruit

Another new guy w/my 1st real flatwater boat. I normally whitewater raft and drift fish. I just got a new toy.:D Mine is a 1968 15ft. sportcraft tri w/60hp Evenrude, 2 fish finders and a minn kota 765mx bow mount troller. It also has the tall railing on the bow. I'm thinking of adding 2 hatches in the bow just in front the windows one on each side. So I don't have to crawl under the dash to get at stuff up their. I am also pondering adding a polling platform. :D Checked it all out before I bought it and it all works WOW.:D:D Sorry I don't have a pic yet and prob. won't till spring I want to keep what little front range CO. snow off her. Can't wait till open water hits. So I can fish her and give her a name. A Tri-Hull Club? BIG YES!

Pikechaser

Recruit

Hey fellow tri-nut's,:D Did the best I could do. Here are some pic's from the ad I got my baby from. 15ft. Sportcraft. Best I can tell is I'm the 3rd owner. 1st guy used it for trolling I think. 2nd guy couldn't water ski with it as good as he thought he could. This is just guessing of course. Things you find when cleaning it up. Still not bad for 900 bones. I also found a drywall sanding pad used wet works great to remove scum from the hull. Then wax it all down good.:cool: I guess I'm in now. :eek: Can't get over all the Tri-Hulls on this site. I'm going to try and keep it all original. w/just a few tweek's. Later Gang.

Attachments

• Capture_00012.JPG
    Capture_00012.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture_00011.JPG
    Capture_00011.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture_00013.JPG
    Capture_00013.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 0

Nezlugh

Seaman Apprentice

2 Tri-Hulls
73 Larson 165 Shark- restore project
69 Glasspar Cutlass - picked up in October haven't even had it on the water yet.

Attachments

• 69 Glasspar Cutlass starboard.jpg
    69 Glasspar Cutlass starboard.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 69 Larson Shark restore project.jpg
    69 Larson Shark restore project.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 69 Glasspar Cutlass port.jpg
    69 Glasspar Cutlass port.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 0

64osby

Admiral

I'm in with a 1984 Hurricane Sd 176 Geneva
PHTO0493.jpgPHTO0487.jpg

Picked it up last fall and added a 1974 Evinrude 135hp. It needs some work, transom, floor and @#*^%&?$$$$. Hope to have it on the water this summer at some point.

Here's my idea of a Tri-Hull Club Logo. Tri Hull Club Logo 1.jpg
A little crude but maybe a starting point. Let me know what you think.

THE-PLAGUE

Recruit

ok i just got this toy who can tell me what the age of this is this is in the center of my caravelle it has a blk line that goes up the back end of boat

Attachments

• 100_0121.jpg
    100_0121.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 0