Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

I think a 8mm, 50 cal barrett or an AS50 would be a little much :D
I once shot a woodchuck with the 45-70, there was nothing left, Oops

I shot my 1st 8mm german mauser when I was 10, thought my sholder was gonna break. I have one my uncle took of a german and brought back, complete with bayonet :D

Hey Rick, I'm still here waiting :mad: I turned it back on this morning to give them a little, under the guidelines of "testing" the system.
This is totaly insane I have wasted 4 days here

Bill if you dont mind pissing the little buggers at the inspections department off send them a bill for your time while you waited for them :D.

Rick

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bill if you dont mind pissing the little buggers at the inspections department off send them a bill for your time while you waited for them :D.

Rick

Now your talking, thats what I like to do when scheduling conflicts occur. I guess im gonna have to take some pics of my guns. What a great thread this turned out to be, should rename it the meeting place.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OMG are the guns on again?!!! hahaha. My friend has a barrett .50 I don't think hes ever shot it tho. Cali............

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Rick

Yea that ill be the day, where they claim resposibility for hardship.
Ya know its a riot, you constantly hear how they have to step in and restore heat and hot water cause the landlord isn't doing the right thing. Here its 3 days now and I can't get them back for a final. Again yesterday they did not show up I sat till 6pm waiting. Its passed the Fire Dept, and Gas Co. inspection.
The owner of the complex is flipping out which is N.G. especially when they do 1m a year with me. this could ruin my biz

Rickairmedic

Commander

Bill are these inspectors City, County or State :D. I made friends early on with some of the higher ups at state level just in case I ever needed something done in a hurry down here . I would make darn sure the complex owner knows who is holding up progress on this thing and that by code or law or whatever your being screwed . I would add if they are City/ County call the State office and explain the issue .

Rick

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Bill are these inspectors City, County or State :D. I made friends early on with some of the higher ups at state level just in case I ever needed something done in a hurry down here . I would make darn sure the complex owner knows who is holding up progress on this thing and that by code or law or whatever your being screwed . I would add if they are City/ County call the State office and explain the issue .

Rick

They are city, and yes making calls is the next step for me. I have been talking constantly with the owners and even gave them the phone #'s. The owners are the oldest and largest property management co in ny. I'm hoping they step on some toes.

Hey News Flash The inspector JUST called, he will be here at 8am TOMORROW got to love it

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Um Bill do you suppose the inspector knows tomorrow is Saturday . I dont know about up there but I have never seen a county inspector here that works weekends :D. Here Boilers are a differant license from a standard HVAC MAsters so I am not sure how they work them but on a standard furnace or AC install We fire them up as soon as they are ready to run and the inspector shows up when he shows up no biggie ( although I wonder if their not letting you power it up is due to your crews screw up ) . I know I would be going through drills for the next 6 months with my crew about the double tool check and tripple checking all connections. On a Job that complex I would assign each member of the crew an area they are responsible for and if theres an issue its their job. This I guess is one reason I dont have a desire to get much bigger than I am now so I have the ability to double check anything that could kill a customer :D.

Rick

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

LOL Um Bill do you suppose the inspector knows tomorrow is Saturday . I dont know about up there but I have never seen a county inspector here that works weekends :D. Here Boilers are a differant license from a standard HVAC MAsters so I am not sure how they work them but on a standard furnace or AC install We fire them up as soon as they are ready to run and the inspector shows up when he shows up no biggie ( although I wonder if their not letting you power it up is due to your crews screw up ) . I know I would be going through drills for the next 6 months with my crew about the double tool check and tripple checking all connections. On a Job that complex I would assign each member of the crew an area they are responsible for and if theres an issue its their job. This I guess is one reason I dont have a desire to get much bigger than I am now so I have the ability to double check anything that could kill a customer :D.

Rick

Thats usually the way it goes here too, BUT my guys screwed up and now its time to pay the piper.
As far as it being Saturday, on a holiday weekend he sure does, its 2 1/2x for him he will make big money coming here.
Last weekend I met him here on Sunday, but here they have weekend and night shifts for inspectors. So for all I know it could be his regular shift.

Im a little guy to, just do big jobs, 1 or 2 at a time. Kinda like champagne tast beer wallet.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Vegas, nice wepons but the images were huge, gonna get me in trouble with the powers that be :eek:

lol Ill pull the big ones...ps I got a PM from a moderator for my pics being 100 pixels too big OUCH they sure can be picky..guess thier IT guys get thier panties in a bunch...

ps the barret would make a big mess of a squirrel wouldnt it...nothing left!
:eek:

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

OMG are the guns on again?!!! hahaha. My friend has a barrett .50 I don't think hes ever shot it tho. Cali............

Wow way cool, YOU HAVE To SHOOT IT! please let us know how your experience was!

Gota tell you though my favorite is my little .22 Anschutz target rifle with redfield peeps. It was my dads competition rifle back in 63, nice relaxing one shot at a time just plinkin at paper and passing time.

Yeah I hears ya...you did see my (2) .22 LR I love em!
too bad all my fave free shooting grounds are now way too close to houses or there ARE houses right where we used to shoot ...Ive been here in Vegas since 1988 so seen alot oof growth....
We need to get out and teach the girls to shoot....now that it's cooler out we'll have to do that......THANKS Bill

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

vegasphotoman;2367905 Yeah I hears ya...you did see my (2) .22 LR I love em! too bad all my fave free shooting grounds are now way too close to houses or there ARE houses right where we used to shoot ...Ive been here in Vegas since 1988 so seen alot oof growth.... We need to get out and teach the girls to shoot....now that it's cooler out we'll have to do that......THANKS Bill[/QUOTE said:
Im lucky enough that the range I go to is still open, although there has been some contraversy that the bullets are contaminating the the ground. its built like a sand pit into the hill. Plus my family has 130 acres up north which is great

Your lucky your wife goes for it, mine is dead set against it, my son is 7 and im fighting now to get permission to teach him when he's 10. I myself started shooting the 22 at about 5. I learned on old iron sights, my dad would not allow us to use scopes. To this day I prefer either open or peeps, most of mine have Williams peeps fitted to them with the exception of the 06.

Hey Rick update, heat and hot water is back on, I was with the inspector all day yesterday. He insisted on inspecting every mechanical room in the complex, it would have been real nice if he knew the code and product use :mad:
I was told I had to install a swing check between the PRV and watts D9 backflow preventers. He stated that if the PRV went the boiler water would melt the rubber gaskets in the D9.
1st its a dubble check valve, and the sole purpose it to prevent cross contamination, rated for 250deg the seals would never melt, its being used for the application it was intended for and even has a approval # from The City of NY for that application. putting in another check, would be a redundancy, and a swing not even a spring, COME ON.
Telling him all this didn't seem to matter I still got a violations for it.

Now for a boat question
With regard to paint I am going to go with interlux Perfection for above the water line and Micron 66 for a bottom paint. My question is this, can I shoot the entire hull with perfection, then apply the bottom paint over it or do I have to tape off and only shoot the top with perfection then tape again and paint the bottom. I'm hoping the boat will be docked for the most part and not a trailered boat.

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Bill I understand the inspector thing :D. I got popped on a furnace recently for not putting in an intake pipe ( it was in a basement and the homeowner had put a matress in the room next to it ) . By code you cant draw makeup air from a bedroom . The only issue was by code the room could not be considered a bedroom as there was no egress window :D. The inspector was real cool about it though as he understood the code and that the room couldnt actually be considered a bedroom ( I put in the intake pipe due to him being cool about it ) .

The paint issue I am afraid I wont be much help with but somebody around here knows if not the manufacturer should be able to tell you .

Rick

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Perfection and micron....prob not the best idea to overlay 2 completely different paints, esp for underwater submersion....will likely blister inside 2 weeks...from what they say on Iboats etc

...start now by testing a scrap of fiberglass painted with boat..prepped out like it was your hull, after 1 week of setting in the shop, submurge the part underwater for a couple weeks...see the results....

From what I understand....atleast for a fiberglass boat...only Gel Coating will be good for long term water service......

Soon as I get a bigger tip for my spray gun, and a gallon of gel coating from online resource.....I am going to shoot some gel coat for a test....

the brushed on gel coating I did on the sleek was WAY rough,I need to remove a bunch to get it smooth, = too much sanding and polishing

rollering it on, would work but would need 5 more coats to get coverage and then sanding and polishing to make it look good = too much work

Im am 100% sure that spraying gel coat is the best way to go....

on the HVAC side...dont ya hate that when you have to train the inspector...geez....what a pain! atleast that book is closed for now....on to the next!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Vegas, I wan't to go Gelcoat BUT me being "Overkill Bill" had its downside :( .
I used epoxy resin not poly for most of the project, from what I have read, and keep in mind this is only book learning, not practical, that you can't Gelcoat over epoxy.
Im almost tempted to buy clear part 2 for the epoxy tint it, and use that for a finish. Kinda make my own epoxy Gelcoat.

I'm really at a loss for how to handle the Finish, I did start trying to see if there is something I can treat the epoxy with to be able to gelcoat it.

HVAC Side: I edited out my original response just in case DOB happens to be on the site. Don't want to be accused of anything, but your neighbor's dog comes to mind.
Not to go off on a rant But!!!!
Ya Know its a real B*%#h, I have given lectures to the bigest firms with the brightest engineers on the east coast .
Not to sound egotistical BUT other professonals seek my advice and try to pick my brain. NOW here I have a no-nothing person with a badge trying to tell me the world according to HIM, in his little shoebox of a world.
There is nothing worse than knowing you're right but due to politics you can't win.
Ya know I have been on TV, had articles written on my engineering and such, to have this little ****-ant pull this and jeopardize my good name and reputation really Pisses me off

Last edited:

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Bill
that clear epoxy idea is a real good one.....not sure how good it will stand up to UV and sun (colorewise) but sounds like a great idea....belive me...I am no expert at any of this, I just spout my opinion! seriously....back in like august is when we started our first restore......

we have a little experience and knowledge of auto painting and such..body repairs...took one class , father in law taught us some bad habits and we've had a little practice ....other than that ...... over a decade of auto repairs....not painting...

A call to micron or the other company or even the "resin people" (are they from an alien planet???? "RESIN PEOPLE" ARG!)

145126__carrie_l.jpg

lol would be a wise choice probably. Sorry as I spaced "again" the part where you prev mentioned several times in your thread, that you used epoxy resin not poly resin! (locally all we can get is poly resin) so I have brain-lock

========================

HVAC side...wow Bill.....that blows me away...the "inventor" basically being told by the lackey, how it should be lol........what a joke at the least, and sad case of political hoopla if there ever was one.......
perhaps a visit to the power that be, schedule a new "training class" whereas you are the teacher...all the inspectors get the word from you...on the "new technology" and from therin you're the "knowledge base" might be a pain...

that probably is not going to happen... but in a fantasy world.......one can wish! little harrasment from then out and lackey would be put into his place MUHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH!!!!:p

Rickairmedic

Commander

Vegas although thats one of SWMBO's movies I have seen it and I am prettty sure Carrie Anne isnt an Alien LOL.

Rick

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Vegas, Micron is interlux's bottom paint. I had some time today and looked, guess Im going to be taping off and using seperate paints. They do show some overlap but not much. The tinting epoxy won't work, your right about the UV protection. I was just spouting off out of fustration all around.

Right now I don't even have time to look at the boat:(

As far as the HVAC, it's not even about me re-inventing the wheel, this guy can't even get standard practices, means and meathods straight.

For instance, all the equipment is zero clearance sealed combustion. With that you could have it in your bedroom in the middle of the floor (Hi Rick, sorry couldn't resist, Im trying to chear myself up) and vent it right out a wooden side wall. I used the chimney as a chase for the exaust PVC, than sealed it off with plywood, which is fine, the chimney is no longer used as a chimney, but simply as a pipe chase it meets code requirements. This bannana wants me to tear it out and cement it all. As it is I capped every chimney with 316 SS to stop the elements and prevent any backdrafting into the boiler room, although highly unlikely and not required.

Not to be a down'er but this inspector really just has me sick over everything

Rickairmedic

Commander

Bill at this point I think I would be on the horn with the Stae and get them to review code and suggest they have the City/County inspectors do as well sounds like they need a refresher course . I run PVC flue pipe through wood every time I run a 90+% furnace I have to go through wood in most houses to get outside LOL. The Chimney as well your right is fully acceptable as a chase if it is no longer used as a chimney ( I would imagine its sole purpose was for the original boilers anyways ) . Thje Inspector is confusing codes when asking you to redo it with concrete which would as you know be code with an 80% unit and a chimney liner.

Rick

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Bill at this point I think I would be on the horn with the Stae and get them to review code and suggest they have the City/County inspectors do as well sounds like they need a refresher course . I run PVC flue pipe through wood every time I run a 90+% furnace I have to go through wood in most houses to get outside LOL. The Chimney as well your right is fully acceptable as a chase if it is no longer used as a chimney ( I would imagine its sole purpose was for the original boilers anyways ) . Thje Inspector is confusing codes when asking you to redo it with concrete which would as you know be code with an 80% unit and a chimney liner.

Rick

Exactly, your right on every count.
These are HT Products ModCon 850 modulating/condensing 94+ boilers. On the residential side I have installed Buderus GB 142's Laar's Baxi etc in the kitchen, beside cabinets then go right out the wall as long as its mpre that 4' from a window and not under one. In europe this is all common practice they have been doing it this way for 20 years.

What I'm going to do is this, even though I did most of the cad drawing and engineering on this project, my PE still reviewed, cleaned it up, stamped and filed it. The job was reviewed & approved by DOB. I am going to use them to fight the notice's of corrections.
And ask for a review and inspection. I have one more card I can play but I really don't want to use it. I want to save that one for if I really do something wrong and have to pull a favor

jonesg

Admiral

So the boats all done.
go enjoy whats left of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.