Is it ok to storew ith lower unit removed

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer
Would it be ok to store my outboard outside(on the boat) with the lower unit removed for the winter? The drain plug is stripped/stuck and I need to fix it this winter.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is it ok to storew ith lower unit removed

Won't bother anything. However, if you are in the suburbs, it makes sense to cover it (the engine midleg) to keep mice or chipmunks from nesting in it.

Surprise! Had my buick stored and the damn critters nested in the air filter box. Confused the hell out of the computer, mass air flow, and oxygen sensor.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Excellent, its due for a water pump change and a general run through anyway. I'll find someway to cover it while it sleeps for a few months.
enjoy your off season.
-Brendon

john from md

Commander

I remove my lower at the end of the season when I am going to do a water pump replacement. The only thing to worry about is rodents or insects making nest in the midleg. Cover it with something and you will be alright.

Regards,

John

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

thats the plan, Its impeller replacement year, and removing the stripped drain plug year. Last winter I drained the oil out of the shift rod linkage screw....didn't know that it could have had terrible consequences!

john from md

Commander

I painted that screw red just so I don't forget!

John