transom leak

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well that's what I thought...the later....I will see if I can get them off, I don't want to damage the Y pipe getting it out or back in, that's for darn sure. Hey, at least the next guy will have something good to follow, I've asked about every dumb question that could be asked!

rickasbury

Argh....well, tried to get the boots lose and broke down and just unbolted the risers...that worked, but, found them to be very corroded. Guess I will be looking for manifolds and risers...this just keeps getting better....

rickasbury

Hey, question on the risers and the cooling on a closed cooling- as mentioned, the elbow side of the risier is very corroded and falling apart for that matter...pretty nasty. Looking at these on line I see the two holes on either side of the exhaust where the water would come up through. Keep in mind my effort and limited amount of time after work to work on this is to getting the motor out. One of the two holes for the water flow seemed to be plugged up- on a closed cooling is that intentional for some reason or is it crudded up that bad? I'm actually 1/2 closed as I have a raw water pump to cool the heat exchanger and if what I'm told is correct, raw water still cools the heads? On either side of the gimbal ring water does come out both sides and the engine temp was always running around 180, no the gauge at least.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Yer manifold/ riser gaskets are restricted for a reason, to slow the exhausted water,....

Yer manifolds are Not part of yer closed system, only the block, 'n heads see antifreeze,.....

rickasbury

so what is the water cooling then if not the block and the heads?? And it was not the gasket that was restricted, it was the hold itself- one side looked clear and the other seemed solid or blocked off...

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Still a newbie, but sounds like a half closed system.. Block and Heads only see fresh water with coolant, exhaust manifolds see raw water.. Full closed system would have block, heads and exhaust manifolds with water coolant, and only heat exchanger would see raw water.. (or something like that...)

Block and head are still cooled because the heat exchanger passes the heat from the head/block coolant, to the raw water in exchanger.. the 2 fluids never mix though.. The heat exchanger does that job of heat transfer.

Again, NOT a pro here, but that's how I understand it anyway..

Found this link too if it helps...
http://http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/cooling.htm

Bondo

Staff member
so what is the water cooling then if not the block and the heads??

Ayuh,.... The raw water cools the heat exchanger, the manifolds, the risers, 'n the down-stream exhaust plumbin' on it's way out,...

post a picture of what yer seein',.... probably rust, corrosion, 'n general crap in that port,....

rickasbury

I will once I get the motor pulled where I can delve into that a little more...thanks. So in my half closed system, if the manifold or the riser fails, water can not get to the heads then? I've tried to look at cooling diagrams but they are way to confusing...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If the manifold or riser fails, the cylinders fill with water,.....

rickasbury

got ya...so looking at Y Tubes on replacing....so if the manifolds and the risers eventually get rusted out and need replaced, what about the rest of the motor that the water flows through??

alldodge

Staff member
Need your serial number to verify, but your first post said this is a 350 Horizon. Many of the Horizon models only had elbows with raw water, the manifolds used antifreeze. The older ones did use raw water on both

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The motor itself is all closed cooling, antifreeze only. Seems like everything was working right, only with closed system on the motor can you run 180ƒ degrees engine temp. With an open system engine temps have to stay down under 160ƒ or bubbles form causing hotspots and crystal formations.

It will be interesting to see how the exhaust looks when you get disassembled. You can pretty easily tell how bad the corrosion is looking at the joints between manifolds and elbows. If the manifold cooling system dumps water into the elbows you have half cooled system. You should be able to trace hoses fairly easily to see if the manifolds are fed by engine coolant or raw water. If cooled by closed system antifreeze then the manis will have a return line. If raw water it will only have a raw water feed line into the manifolds and the heated water exits out the elbows..

rickasbury

Well, I will look these posts over! Great info and hopefully will better understand what I have....the big success for yesterday was getting the motor out! Here is a picture of the ride home from the 2nd marina I had to go to and finally got it done. Tonight after work will be to give the bulge a little scrub and back to storage. To much other life stuff interfering with my boating needs.

Attachments

• WP_20180305_12_59_43_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20180305_12_59_43_Pro (2).jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 1

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Seems there's no limit to the things we will do to get on the water...

Great to see the motor out. Now the investigating can begin.

rickasbury

hmm. had posted last night but must not have posted it. I did get into the bilge to clean up a bit. A little more history on this, have been tracing a minor leak for about the last two years. Nothing that would even kick the pump on, just bothered me to have any water in the hull. I had a coupler repair about that time and seems like I have had this problem since. Until recently I concluded it was the a/c which drains into the bilge because I just could not find a leak. I tested the thru hulls by putting powder around them and using a fake lake on each of them and got zip. I had a problem with my black water tank, fixed that (yuk) and thought that was the problem. Then, the last time I had the boat out for a couple of days ( April!), the pump would come on with an over night stay so I knew something was up. I saw a slight leak in the transom, although I think now that was from where the speedo come thru, and assumed it was the bellows and did that repair. They were fine but I'm sure time wise was time anyway and then when I dunked it, was really leaking.
So, yesterday I put the plug in just to see and I for sure have a leak around the gimbal ring- but also the thru hull for the engine cooling was leaking pretty well also which was really a shock. The hose is still on from the inside and the valve turned off so it is leaking around the seal. With the testing I had done before, that was a shock. Anyway, I had filled it up with a lot of water and was leaking at the bottom of the ring, obviously hard to tell if that is the only spot leaking as I could not fill up the bilge but the transom assy will have to come apart and see what I have going on. I have other stuff to do so will probably be weekend after next before I can get back on it. What a mess!

rickasbury

I looked and the risers and I have two lines to it so that is full closed cooling? I'm looking at the lines but not sure what is in what....hopefully this picture helps. The lines feed over to this other "manifold" of sorts....one part looks like it goes to the heat exchanger and the bottom feeds off to either side risor but I don't see anything else going into this other "manifold".
SERIAL #MODEL/ENGINE #ENGINE #TRANSOM #OUTDRIVE #

US-RNK77006G405270 350MAGHRZB3OW038097OW139887OW251759

rickasbury

What would cause such a failure? This boat was lift kept until I bought it and I have had it on a trailer for the last 4 years...

rickasbury

It was pulled and surveyed for what it is worth......not much I guess.I will get the transom assy pulled and see what I have. Might need some profesional eyes on it at this point. This is very sad news. I would wonder if there is a way to find out of this boat was involved in any sort of insurance claim. Owner had the title, just wonder now if that was the only title.

alldodge

Staff member
If the scooper is dented, then it may have been picked up, trailered or stored incorrectly. Seen a few times where someone inexperienced or unknowing used the wrong spacing and damaged the thru hull. Right now just guessing based on info provided.