transom leak

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Dodge- awesome thanks...I had gone back and looked and saw upper and lower bushing and how the seal goes in- dang manual does not help a novice on how this goes back together and I will check out the JR marine as any help is good....the fit with the pin is a real nice fit, can't imagine new would be any tighter. The boat had 100 hours on it when I bought it and I don't think he ever hardly plained the boat out- he just puttered around the bay so the whole boat was really hardly used. I have put over 200 hours on it since we had it, keep in mind it's been a year out of the water for this project, amongst other things....Looks like I need a washer for the top- I still think that shim pictured above came out of there- again does not mean it belonged there but I can't think of where else a shim would go in the transom assembly...any thoughts there??

alldodge

Staff member
There is no shimming the pin, so don't have a clue unless it was replace with less then 100 hours, or the transom assembly was swapped due to damage, and someone used what they had lying around.

rickasbury

yeah, that's what I figured....not sure that it ever came out. Looks like there might have been a little glass work on the front side of the boat, the anchor has a heck of a bend to it.....the skeg has a piece out of it but it's on the back side and not the front like an impact. Other than that, I could not tell of any damage on it. I figure someone dropped the out drive and broke that but who knows...The PO I would not have believed anything that came out of his mouth. Will go with what I got, ready to float this sucker soon but trying to take my time and make sure it is right. I certainly owe you a boat ride!

scoflaw

Ensign
critical area on the pin is where the seal rides. Gets rusty there and tears up the seal.

rickasbury

I have a brand new ss steel so I should be good to go. I'm sure this repair will last much longer than I will keep the boat. I pretty much re built the whole transom assembly for less than a grand...and I learned a heck of a lot about my boat in the process for sure!

scoflaw

Ensign
Well, I had the exact same leak and fixed it with a $20 tube of 4200 and about an hour of prep time. LOL. Keep on keepin on you ain't done yet. Watch that vid.