Total Rebuild Help

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Total Rebuild Help

Just a tip on putting in your PB Fillets....
I read this on here somewhere, so i don't remember who to give the credit to, but after you mix up your PB for filleting, scoop it into a large ziploc style freezer bag, and then cut one of the corners out....now you can get the tip of the bag into all the little nooks and crannies to make sure you get the gaps completely filled with PB....when your done, just throw the freezer back away..

like i said, i read this somewhere on here and gave it a try....worked beautifully

SSOWDERS

Seaman

Just want to say thanks again to everyone for the help and info. Couldn't do this project (at least the right way) without all the Iboaters on here giving great advice and assistance!

I didn't really take out any glass during the grinding, except in a couple spots where my goggles were covered with dust and went a little too deep:) Guess that happens from time to time. I pretty much just went down to where I skimmed the top of the woven. I would imagine this did compromise the strength a bit, so I will add a layer of CSM and 1708. Thanks Trooper82!

Appreicate the estimate on PB Woodonglass!
I am continuing to put together my supply list. Good news! I found a local fiberglass fabrication shop that will sell me resin. They want $125 for 5 gallons if i bring the pail. Sounds good to me. They also have Cabosil and 1.5 CSM that I can purchase, however the price is a quite a bit higher than if I orderd it. Do they charge a hazmat fee for shipping mat, Cabosil, and milled fibers? Just wondering as they don't have 1708 and I will have to order that it looks like.

Like the bag trick mrdjflores. Will give it a shot...

Well, the sun is shining and I hear my grinder calling my name so it's time to get suited up again! Probably another 3 hours of the initial grind left and then it's time to make some templates for the transom and stringers. Can't wait to have some put back going on around here!

Thanks again everyone and have a great Friday! The weekend has arrived.

SSOWDERS

Seaman

Finally!! Done with the initial grinding, although there will be more for the other stringers when it is time to replace them individually. Many hours, many discs, a lot of patience, and some adult beverages:D But, it will all be worth it in the end. Time to start planning some put back!

Here you can see what I have now. Much cleaner. IMG_1493.jpg

Making the template for the new transom. IMG_1494.jpg
When making the new transom, should it touch the bottom and sides of the hull or should it have a 1/4" space or so. I am guessing it should be like the stringers and not rest directly on the hull at any point. Then fill in around edges with PB and fillet. Good plan or no?? Words of wisdom here would be very helpful!

I am also wanting to do something different with the drain hole. Plan on using PB around it, but don't know how to construct the actual drain through the transom and exterior skin. The original drain was damaged during removal. Any suggestions?

And now the attempt to keep out the elements during the build.IMG_1495.jpg
Picture with the tarp over the top too large to attach here. Oh well.

That's about it for now. Progress will be a bit limited until I gather the wood and materials. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Shane

SSOWDERS

Seaman

Well, today it was back to the "grind" so to speak. And that's not grinding on the boat. Work sure seems to get in the way of a good rebuild project. :( Necessary evil I guess since that what gets the funds for the whole thing. Got my initial glassing supply list together after a lot of math. Not sure how right it is, but should get me started.

10 gallons resin
4 gallons Cabosil
5 quarts milled fibers
18 yards 50" 1.5 CSM
10 yards 50" 1708

Will be picking this up at Composites One since I found they have a place about an hour from here. Might as well go ahead and establish the consumer relationship with some face time in person. I know I will need more resin and more CSM and 1708 for the deck especially. And also due to always needing much more than you originally thought. Just what I can afford at the moment.

What do you think? Good starting quantities??

Thanks again!

Shane

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Glassing supplies list sounds good, especially since you have a source only an hour away...as funds and needs become available, a short little road trip and you can get resupplied...;)

Transom w/gap for PB...A-OK...

In Posts # 487 & 569 of my build...show how I did my bilge drain hole, later to be filled w/the captive garboard drain in post #918...I also, installed a custom fitted piece of PVC pipe w/resin to finish it off...Probably overkill, but hopefully it won't let any water reach the wood...:facepalm:

The tarp support looks real good, just don't forget to reposition/cut back your hull cross braces, so they don't tear into the tarp...:redface:

And your grinding looks to be right on...:rolleyes:

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i'm still envious that some of you can remove your caps so easily :redface:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not sure if it would be that much easier, but you can buy disposable pastry bags that are tougher than ziplock bags for the pb dispensing: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1...merica-disposable-pastry-bags-roll-of-36.html

They're the thing you decorate cakes with, but these are clear disposable plastic.

I've worked in kitchens for many years, and the ziplocks tend to "blow out" more easily. I'm going to try this method when I get there on my project.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i used the ziploc freezer bags instead of just regular ziploc bags....i was going to use the icing bags that i use for cakes, but didn't want to ruin any of my icing tips......yes, i like to bake....:D

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

^^^Nothin' wrong with that! You don't have to use the tips, just cut off the end to the desired piping size.

SSOWDERS

Seaman

Thanks again GT1M!

I saw that part of your thread. Just couldn't quite figure out what type of drain pipe you were running the pvc to:facepalm: Not real experienced at this whole boat thing. I think you said it was a threaded type?? Hell, I've looked at so much stuff my brain is turning to mush:D I will go back and look again. Still not done with your thread yet but it looks like a great job!

Cap was taken off by me and the wife. Wasn't too easy, but we got it done. Easier than a lot of top caps I suppose!

It's back to work after a week off with plenty of chances to work on the boat. Now I will be limited since I am in retail management. At least I can pick up some pastry bags pretty easily.... I'm a manager at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Appreciate the link Chemicalwire!

Again, thanks to you all for checking in and giving advice. Much appreciated!

I will be ordering supplies soon and was wondering....glassing in the cold....is it ok? I don't have a heated workshop and was worried about temperatures. It is nice here in SC right now, but we will soon have 50 degree days and 35 degree nights (sometimes below freezing). I know....not too bad, but just wondering about laying glass. If I lay it and it's 50 or 60 out and then drops into the 30's or 40's at night, will it affect the glass? Once again, never glassed before so don't know what to think on this one. I imagine it all has to do with the amount of MEK-P. Any help here is greatly......appreciated!!

Thanks everyone.

Have a good one!

Shane

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Will the boat be in the garage? Should not glass in temps below 60? F. You can tent the boat with a tarp, inside the garage and use a couple of heat lamps to keep it above 60? over night.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Hello Shane,

I am signing out to follow along on your progress :)

Here is my suggestions when you get to the point where you will be mixing your resin:

(1)Use the metric system! It is so much easier to get your percentages right. 1% of 500 ml = 5 ml...2% is 10 ml and etc. (2)Get yourself some measuring syringes. 1 milliliter = 1 cc so when you are mixing small amounts of Resin you can get a more accurate mix ratio with the syringe. (3)Which brings me to my next point...use smaller amounts of mixed resin. You can always mix more but if you try to use a large amount of mixed resin you could end up with a big blob heated curing resin that is wasted (been there done that). Start with smaller amounts and work your way to larger ones. You will get the feel for it after a while.

I hope this helps and good luck!!

SSOWDERS

Seaman

Thanks Glenn! Will brush up on my metric knowledge and do as you suggested.

Unfortunately I do not have a garage. It is just tarped in the yard. So I guess what you are saying Woodonglass, is that if the temp drops at night even though the glass was laid at 60 or above during the day it's not good. It's not at all uncommon around here to be above 60 in the afternoon when I would be glassing and have it 40 or below at night.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Shane

SSOWDERS

Seaman

Hello again!

Well, the weather is supposed to turn next week. So glassing will be out of the question without a garage and some heat I guess. Highs will be in the 50's and low 60's with temps dropping into the 30's and 40's at night. I made a promise that I would have the boat ready by May if I undertook this project. Ooops! Didn't know about the temperature requirements at the time.

Has anyone seen any solutions for this other than building a garage? Certainly someone along the way has rebuilt a boat in the winter without a garage to put it in. Just trying to come up with something. I am going to hold off on ordering supplies until I can come up with something. Don't want resin just sitting around until April or May.

Any suggestioins are welcome.

Have a good one!

Shane

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

could always build a little canopy over it, keep one of those halogen work lights in there...
worked a littel on my over the winter...mostly removing wiring...with just a tarp over it and a halogen work light.... turned into a sweat box

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Also have seen where someone got one of those propane powered heaters and some chimney ducting with a fan pumped in under a tarp...:rolleyes:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

All that's required is that the substrate and the glass temp be @ 60? or above for approx 12 hrs. Sooo...If you did your transom in the afternoon of a 60? day, put a tarp over the back of the boat, placed a heat lamp under there, it would keep the temp up over night and you're good to go. It's done all the time. Just don't use anything with an open flame. FUMES are flammable.

SSOWDERS

Seaman

Hhhhhmmm..... Got me thinking now. I have a propane heater. Several other heaters as well that I use in my camper, etc. I was just concerned about the fumes igniting. Piping it in may be an option. Will kick that around for a bit. Thanks GT!

I also was thinking about the lamps. Appreciate the input mrdjflores!

Woodonglass also suggested heat lamps under a tarp if it was in a garage under a tarp.

May be time for an experiment. Get maybe 2 or 3 heat lamps and a digital thermometer. Then again, halogens do put off a ton of heat also.....It's supposed to be down to about 37 at night within the next week. Hook them up and check the temp every 2 hours or so at night and see what I get. If that doesn't work, maybe figure out the propane deal. I think I may even have some duct around my shed somewhere. Too bad the door to the isn't wide enough:rolleyes: May even visit Tractor Supply and see what they have for people to keep their chickens warm at night:D

Alright, thanks for giving me a few things to run with everyone! Hope all is well. Friday is almost upon us (although I have to work every day this weekend)

Oh.....one more thing. After I lay the glass, how long do I have to keep it above 60 degrees? Hopefully no more than 24 hours at the longest. Can't have the electric bill go up too much. Takes away boat money.

shane

SSOWDERS

Seaman

Thanks Woodonglass! That gives me great hope to meet THE DEADLINE that will be strictly enforced I'm sure. Went and got two clip on lamps (just to be sure) and 2 250w 115v heat lamp bulbs. Will run the test just to be positive I have enough and order supplies then.

Much appreciated!

Shane

jbcurt00

Staff member

All that's required is that the substrate and the glass temp be @ 60? or above for approx 12 hrs. Sooo...If you did your transom in the afternoon of a 60? day, put a tarp over the back of the boat, placed a heat lamp under there, it would keep the temp up over night and you're good to go

There you go