Too old for water sking???

CenturionSkier

Recruit
Re: Too old for water sking???

I just had to drag out this old thread and comment. I skied nearly my whole life, until a major shoulder injury sidelined me in the nineties. In the early 2000's my boy got to the age where he wanted to learn to ski, so I bought an older Ski Nautique and got back into it. I told him that I'd have to ski in order to teach him right(and show him up, I hoped) After my retirement in 1997, we moved to Kentucky from New Jersey to live really close to Lake Cumberland and be in a much friendlier boating atmosphere (no observer required, etc.) Our skiing was limited in NJ by the lack of available spotters. Now we ski from April til mid November, 3 or 4 times a week. I developed a method to exercise skiing muscles during the winter months and I now can slalom ski better than ever, I still trick ski a lot too, though my old knees are rough for toe tricks any more, and I'm getting back into barefooting again too. We still have the old 1974 Nautique but we also got two absolutely perfect slalom boats, the Ski Centurion Falcon from 1989 and 92. The 89 is totally restored with new drive train and they give us hours of great skiing every week. Can't wait for this summer.....had heart surgery and the doctors say I'm better than new!!! If there are any other Lake Cumberland skiers, get in touch. We'd love to have others to hang with on the lake.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

CS.
Good looking boats those Centurions. It must be getting closer to spring. These forums that have been dead for 4 months are starting to show signs of life. We are 2 maybe 3 weeks away from ice out in MN. Which means only about 3 or 4 weeks away from skiing!

Danny 60

Cadet

I just turned 51 last month, and spent the Easter break skiing with my family and friends of 30 years. Still barefooting, and single slalom, and love it.
My wife, son and daughter all ski.
The kids bring their partners now, who all ski and wake board as well.
It's a great family thing to do.

sethjon

My Mother is 90 and I think shes too old. I'm 60 and live in So Cal and ski 2 weekends every months from May to Sept.

HollieMac

Seaman Apprentice

Tell me when I can come and I'll be there. I want to spend a few weeks this summer on Laurel River and Cumberland, but will be flying solo so need to meet up with other geriatrics with shoulder incisions to swab with sunscreen.

Ithica DB

Seaman

Your only as old as you think you are go for it. Stay away from the wake board that thing put a hurting on me last year, 48 year olds not suppost to be on them for shur.

Ithica DB

Seaman

CS.
Good looking boats those Centurions. It must be getting closer to spring. These forums that have been dead for 4 months are starting to show signs of life. We are 2 maybe 3 weeks away from ice out in MN. Which means only about 3 or 4 weeks away from skiing!
I wouldn't make it there I am just a boat driver till 85 degrees my daughter on the other hand skiied New Years Day. Ya'll are hardcore just remember there are warmer areas of the country.

skibrain

...there are warmer areas of the country.

Yeah but the cold water keeps out the riffraff. I'll trade some discomfort for a lake to ourselves any morning.

roverjohn

Seaman Apprentice

Your only as old as you think you are go for it. Stay away from the wake board that thing put a hurting on me last year, 48 year olds not suppost to be on them for shur.

Au contraire mon frere. Wakeboards are the greatest thing ever for us oldies. I'm 54 now and I start every season on them as they are so much easier on the arms and back so you get a chance to get the muscles ready for skiing. Do your best to avoid aerials but just free skiing on one is a blast and almost effortless so you get miles on a run if you want to.

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

46 - bunch of Scouts talked me into snow boarding for the 1st time this winter. :eek:

I am looking forward to trying water skiing again for the 1st time in 25 years and this thread has me thinking about wake boarding too (less HP required).

jh

Tex60

Seaman

Ive been snow boarding for the last few years and just got a boat that when I get it running we will be doing some skiing but I'm 46 and willing to try most anything once I told my son I was going to attempt to get up in the water on my snowboard. Oh yeah I havent water skied since I was 22. but I will be this summer.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

this is my dad at 62 years old making a run. Now, he's not up for long but while he's up, he puts me to shame.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Love the Video.

I'm kind of Sad in a Way for myself. Its been 15 years since is Skied until about a Year ago when I got my Boat. All those youthful sking Years are gone.
I suppose being in shape and doing alot of Stretching will help So I do not hurt myself. I'm 43 and those that are active salom skiers in my age group, do you do anything to
prevent injuries. Like working out the Gym.

Thanks.

skibrain

In your age group? I believe you mean younger. :)

I run a couple times a week, inline skate or nordic skate ski a bit in the winter, stay after the pull-ups and push-ups, and just hang from a chin up bar for periods pre-season to get connective tissue conditioned. If I had a gym membership I'd go for some light squats and a rower. At age 50 (and for really all of the 40 years that I've been skiing) I am in a fair amount of pain early in the season. I've skied 10 days in the last month and just getting back to skiing strength. It will be mid June and skiing 3x a week before I feel on top of it.

Best workout really? Ski more.
Maybe you need to move to MN where it isn't as cold and snowy as in Gilbert?

391888823.jpg

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOL to the Cold and snowey comment.

Anyway I haven't skied since Oct so I'm a little nervous about sking again. I haven't kept up the Gym workout either. Need to start doing both again.

Thanks for the reply.

PS in that picture you look like one Fine Sking Machine. Nice.

h20skiluvr

Cadet

Any work in the gym has got to benefit. Case in point- I probably skied 30-40 days last year- but had back surgery in January- My first question during the recovery appointment in mid-Feb, " I will be on my ski by May right? Fortunately, my first ski this year was two weeks ago on May 22, which was my 42nd birthday.----I was sore for 4-5 days, a day or two longer than the normal "1st ski sore". This spring for the first time in my life I started stretching every morning and WALKING instead of the normal 3 mi run.---Point is, start a training regimen, it will definitely not hurt you! Good luck on the water!

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was going to ski over the weekend for the first time this year but I chickened out. I went tubing instead working the Arm Muscles. Dang I got to get back to the gym. I'm sore just from tubing.