Too old for water sking???

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Too old for water sking???

Like ANY physical activity as you "mature" infrequent activity is more likely to get you injured. The best way to get in skiing shape is to do MORE OF IT. The first 4-5 weeks of the season I am miserably sore. Then as we get into our 2-3 times a week routine I level out to just "constantly sore."

60 ski days in 2009. Hope to beat that PR in 2010.

If you don't have friends who like to ski...it's time to go find some new friends. :)

mmarincic

Seaman Apprentice

I have to put my 2 bits in on this. My wife is 75 and I'am 72 ane we both still ski on one ski. We don't have any plans to quit. As soon as it warms up here in Arizona We'll be out.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have to put my 2 bits in on this. My wife is 75 and I'am 72 ane we both still ski on one ski. We don't have any plans to quit. As soon as it warms up here in Arizona We'll be out.

Good for you. :D

Last Saturday I saw people WakeBoarding without Wet Suits at Saguro. A bit Chilly for me but give it a few weeks it will be warm enough.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well this old dog at 42 skied last weekend for the first time after 10 Years. Its just like riding a bike. It all came back to me. I was sore but happy. I'm sure the sorness will go away over time.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BTW I Salome skied. No two ski for me thank you.

Last edited:

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I finally getting the Groove Back to salom Skiing again. I'm able to go Outside and Inside the wake again without Face Planting into the Water. :p

I still only can Ski for about 5 minutes before my Arms, Legs and Hands are numb. I guess over time this will go away.

I'm Glad this 42yr old dog can still Ski

D

DJ

I still only can Ski for about 5 minutes before my Arms, Legs and Hands are numb. I guess over time this will go away.

I'm Glad this 42yr old dog can still Ski

That's a sign-HEED it!

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's a sign-HEED it![/QUOTE

I guess that would be a indication not to over do it.;)

I need to take my time and not ski like I did when I was half my age. Still it was great to get skiing again.

skibrain

Skiing after a long lay-off DOES have it's risks (like after the long winter around here) but you can work back into it, and doing it MORE of anything makes you stronger. :) I'm turning the big 5-0 this year. Skied 5 times in the last 7 days...hitting it fairly hard 2 - 3 runs each time out. There is always the possibility of injury or worse... but I'd sure prefer to die happy.

314895511.jpg

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Skiing after a long lay-off DOES have it's risks (like after the long winter around here) but you can work back into it, and doing it MORE of anything makes you stronger. :) I'm turning the big 5-0 this year. Skied 5 times in the last 7 days...hitting it fairly hard 2 - 3 runs each time out. There is always the possibility of injury or worse... but I'd sure prefer to die happy.

314895511.jpg

Nice Picture. I wish I could cut like that. I will get there though. I'm determined at least.

baiwan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am thinking of giving up waterskiing for wakeboarding if I manage to pop out with the board ththis season. I am 56, and am wondering whether I will manage.
I was unsuccessful last year and will try again.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am thinking of giving up waterskiing for wakeboarding if I manage to pop out with the board ththis season. I am 56, and am wondering whether I will manage.
I was unsuccessful last year and will try again.

When I started Salome Sking again I had to remember not to force myself to Pop out of the water. I had to teach my wife the proper way to pull a skier out of the water. First she would go too slow or too fast. Once she got the Speed down it was a matter for me is to hang on and balance. Let the boat do the work of pulling me up.

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

56 here and I don't plan to quit the slalom.:D

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

How about this. My father ski'd for the first time in over 30 years last Friday. He will turn 68 in September. He got up on his first try.

Attachments

• grandpa eldy.jpg
    grandpa eldy.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0

Surfer Dave

Seaman Apprentice

I'm turning 50 this year and I still surf alot and ski most weekends

skibrain

bigpoppakdog, I recognize the spillway at the Jamestown reservoir.
I grew up in Jamestown.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will turn 49 next month and hadn't skied in at least 15 years until yesterday. We bought a boat a month ago and I've since taught 3 of my 4 kids to ski (the other one already knew how), one of them to slalom (that's my boy!), and two of them are digging the wakeboard thing. I finally got one of my daughters comfortable enough to drive the boat for me to give it a go again this weekend. I tried to get up on one deep water about 10 times and finally decided I was going to hurt my knee if I kept trying so I did the get up on 2 and then kick one deal. I hate that because I have a big foot and tough time getting it in the back boot. I got up, kicked, and eventually got my foot in and was cutting back and forth and getting some "wow" from the kids to see the old fart cutting across the wake! It was a blast and I am a little sore today, but loved it. I will plan to keep doing it each time we go out assuming I can get someone to drive the boat.

I will also say that in comparison to many posting in the thread, I was never and "pro" at this, never did a slalom course, and for most of my skiing days just went with friends and never had a boat. We also lived in NY for over 20 years and so if I got to ski a dozen times in a year when I was skiing "a lot", that was good. And I still didn't forget how to do it... so if I can get back up then I'm sure most of us old guys can. I don't have the weight thing to deal with though... 190 pounds and 6' 3", so that helped I'm sure... but I am a desk jockey during the week and don't get a lot of exercise, so I'm looking forward to getting back into this. Where we live now, the watersports season lasts pretty long.

oldjeep

Admiral

Lesson for all when skiing or doing anything else active. The older you get, the more you should stretch before hand. I'm only 40, butlast weekend I got to experience what tearing an intercostal muscle feels like. Just jumped in the water cold, and started cranking turns until I got a tweak which didn't feel like much until the next time I tried to get up.

7 more days minimum before I'm allowed to try again and they would rather it be a month, but our annual ski week starts Saturday.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will turn 49 next month and hadn't skied in at least 15 years until yesterday. We bought a boat a month ago and I've since taught 3 of my 4 kids to ski (the other one already knew how), one of them to slalom (that's my boy!), and two of them are digging the wakeboard thing. I finally got one of my daughters comfortable enough to drive the boat for me to give it a go again this weekend. I tried to get up on one deep water about 10 times and finally decided I was going to hurt my knee if I kept trying so I did the get up on 2 and then kick one deal. I hate that because I have a big foot and tough time getting it in the back boot. I got up, kicked, and eventually got my foot in and was cutting back and forth and getting some "wow" from the kids to see the old fart cutting across the wake! It was a blast and I am a little sore today, but loved it. I will plan to keep doing it each time we go out assuming I can get someone to drive the boat.

I will also say that in comparison to many posting in the thread, I was never and "pro" at this, never did a slalom course, and for most of my skiing days just went with friends and never had a boat. We also lived in NY for over 20 years and so if I got to ski a dozen times in a year when I was skiing "a lot", that was good. And I still didn't forget how to do it... so if I can get back up then I'm sure most of us old guys can. I don't have the weight thing to deal with though... 190 pounds and 6' 3", so that helped I'm sure... but I am a desk jockey during the week and don't get a lot of exercise, so I'm looking forward to getting back into this. Where we live now, the watersports season lasts pretty long.

Where are you from???

tcgobucks

Seaman

My dad just turned 69.....he will still go out a couple times a year and slalom like he's 30. He doesn't go for more than 5 minutes or so, but when he's out there, he's going full go, just like he always did. I'm 42 and am planning to hit it next weekend. Unfortunately, I'm one of those guys who is all out or nothing....meaning I will be very sore come next Monday....but the young kids around our cottage all stop and watch when I head out....lol