Too old for water sking???

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Too old for water sking???

...tearing an intercostal muscle...

Ouch. Been there, and cracked ribs a couple of times - though that was from impact when falling. Good news, this one, unlike a ruptured bicep or hamstring isn't quite as scary. Bad news, is will hurt like a bugger for quite a while and there isn't much you can do about it. It has taken me out of action for 2-6 weeks, depending. Bummer.

BigBoatinOkie

My 55 year old mom skis quite a bit. I love her and don't mean any offense, but she is not an athletic person and is not in shape at all but she makes a few runs every weekend we are out. Don't tell her what I said, she'd kill me.:eek: I only said it to make the point that you don't have to be young to enjoy skiing. BTW, she didn't even start skiing until last year at age 54. It ain't like she's an old pro. Since she doesn't do much cutting, she can go twice as long as me and I'm 27.

sethjon

Well, I'm 61 and haven't skied for a few years but last week I did and it was great. My wife thought I'd never get up and my sons eyes popped out.

BigBoatinOkie

What's funny is, when we bought our boat last season, Mom didn't really want to get out there and ski. She thought she was too old and out of shape and it had been a long time since she tried. When she refused to go, my dad said to her "you're starting to sound like you mom now" :eek: Within a few minutes, she was out there tearin it up and lovin every minute of it. She's been skiing ever since.

mnmike3

Seaman

I'm only 26 and have switched to wakeboarding now but my brother and I learned to ski when we were much younger as did my dad. He is 56 now and I remember seeing him ski once when I was pretty young but he doesn't anymore. His body has taken its fair share of abuse from being in construction most of his life which makes it hard for him to get out and do stuff like skiing. However while watching my brother ski I can see it in my dads eyes he really wants to get out there and ride again. Here in MN dock starts and shallow water starts are....... lets say..... frowned upon ;) by the law but I'm about to say screw it just so dad can ski again, he is convinced he can do it without starting in deep water (dock and shallow water starts is the only way he used to do it apparently)

So coming form a 26 year old, too old? whats that mean? You know if you can do something and what the consequences might be if you find out you cant do it, don't let anybody else tell you your too old, at least not seriously :)

skibrain

Bummer for your dad when his work has taken away a recreational passion. I've worked enough construction in my younger days to have a lot of respect for the guys who rise every day relying on their physical body for their wage.

Regarding the dock start, another option is sitting on a towable tube. I've not tried it but seen it done. Especially if it's a higher profile type that sits up out of the water a bit. Unlike a dock, it can move with you for the first few mph until you stand up off of it.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

What skibrain says is also a good trainer, we used it last summer for my 77 year old great to ski again. We had her start leaning back on the tube to get it to not submerge. Then have the person stand up and step over the rope and then pull the tube it all the way or just enough to not spray or get in the way.

skibrain

Hmmm. I hadn't thought of having the tube tied to the tow boat. I've only seen it where the tube is floating free and used like a raft to sit on.

SeanT

Regarding the dock start, another option is sitting on a towable tube. I've not tried it but seen it done. Especially if it's a higher profile type that sits up out of the water a bit. Unlike a dock, it can move with you for the first few mph until you stand up off of it.

That is a hell of an idea. Never thought of that!

You don't want it tied to the boat though (for whoever said that above). Once you get to skiing speed that tube is going to catch air and knock the skiier over!

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Reel it in and don't leave it floating on the lake. Trust me it being tied allows the skier to feel the boat and to put pressure on it. it takes a second to get the lengths right but with not fighting the tube and having pressure on the handle its a little safer than dock starts for new skiers.

jaycozer

Seaman Apprentice

Great weekend at the river. Had my wife's parents and our two boys(7 and 5). Her dad is 63 and mom 62. Both had just bought new connelly slalom skis. 7 year old now can deep water start on his own with two. 5 year old wanting and eager with the help of mom in water is doing good popping up. Mom struggled getting up first rotation and then got up second go round for a good turn. Dad got up each time and had good runs. We got mom to use the wakeboard tower after her second run and popped up easily thereafter and had good runs. Both get well out wake and make easy turns back through. Good skiing.

Wife did great on her ski. I chose to leave my connelly F1x to save space thinking inlaw's skiboot was same...wrong. Finally borrowed a buddies strap and open toe Obrien on the river. Foot would not fit in back toe strap, tried to make hard cut, no edge and rolled to no end. Hardest fall on water. Did get back up and push it as best as I could to close out my turn and at least get a slalom run in. Still...Great weekend with the generations all getting to ski together!

mnmike3

Seaman

Bummer for your dad when his work has taken away a recreational passion. I've worked enough construction in my younger days to have a lot of respect for the guys who rise every day relying on their physical body for their wage.

WOAH!!!! thats a great idea, never thought of that, we might just have to give it a try. thanks

jaycozer

Seaman Apprentice

That tube idea is good.

I think my inlaws will keep deep water starts as long they can. They really enjoyed not only being out there but of course watching the little ones carry on. I do think the a wakeboard tower if you have one available can really help with starts. Fulcrum/lever type of effect with the engine behind the tow point.

jaycozer

Seaman Apprentice

I wonder if tube in combo with tower could help big boy skiers and some elders trying to slalom?

GonzoJ

Recruit

When I was a kid, learning to ski, I knew someone in their 70's who would single ski, tight carving and all. He would even barefoot occasionally. He wore his eye glasses while skiing too. I asked if they ever fall off, and he said "yes, but I put these here corks on the ear pieces". He showed me what looked like wine corks on his ear pieces. He said he would just turn around and pick them up when they fell off.

sethjon

I'm 61 and stopped for the last several years. 3 Weeks ago I began again because my son bought a boat. The entire family showed up to see me flop. First try I was up going around the lake. Now all I need is to work on my leg strength. Too old??? When I'm dead!

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sethjon,
Yep 60 here and everyone around me say's I can't ski ever again. I garandang tee ya first opportunity to snag that ski rope I will be up and on it. I will die later I got things I gotta do right now.

LR

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sethjon,
Yep 60 here and everyone around me say's I can't ski ever again. I garandang tee ya first opportunity to snag that ski rope I will be up and on it. I will die later I got things I gotta do right now.
LR

Great comment!:D 56 years old here and was slaloming this weekend. Still with deep water starts.

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Learned to slalom this year at 44. I did buy a "fat man" ski (Connely Pilot), because I'm a big guy, way North of 200. My main motivation was my 15 y/o son got turned on to the slalom big time last year, and I just couldn't let him show me up, at least not yet.

baiwan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Too old for water skiing, yep I switched to wakeboarding this summer at 56; I admit I drank a lot of water from the river, but I made it and that's what counts. Now I can't wait for the summer to break another rope.