Too old for water sking???

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Too old for water sking???

Booner, Did you dock start built or were your 2nd tier climbers?

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

what size motor did you have to get 8 skiers up?

I would think that your transom would get ripped off.

divinginn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

40 years ago i took one of those spills, when the skeg broke on one of these. boat was running 42, i had gone all the way out, and was coming back across, just as i hit the high point of the 2 outside swing the skeg broke. i walked on water for a while, then went head first, damaged some disc in my neck.

Cypress Gardens Ski Skat, 28 inches.
skiskat1.jpg

skiskat2.jpg

I still have one of those in the lake house basement,I laid into it once and it peeled off my feet and tore a huge chunk out of my shin,30 years later I no longer ski,I could still do two skis probably but between arthritis and other problems,it just doent excite me like it used to.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Ok you young squirts there is only one person on this thread as old as I am, and I still think I could get up on ski's. Saw a new's report the other night of a 80ish year old woman on ski's, I can't remember her exact age but that impressed me seeing her riding behind the boat. Oh yeah for you purists she was cheating with two ski's.

Have fun and get out more ya'll

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I'll always have a passion for slalom, but I took up the Air Chair at 45 for something different and loved it. I graduated to a Sky Ski with the shock tower for softer landings about 3 years ago, and at 52 I still go every year. There are 4 of us regulars you'll see out of Temple Bar on Lake Mead.
The landings can be a little rougher but it's still awesome, and you don't need real glassy conditions to have a good ride.

Attachments

• P1010100368x276.jpg
    P1010100368x276.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Lake Mead 7.24.04 048resize.jpg
    Lake Mead 7.24.04 048resize.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0

skibrain

2001 Glastron GX180 w/150 hp Johnson 2-stroke.
Not propped for pulling with a 21" pitch SS, so I was pretty surprised that we got up. It was a loooong drag.

Last edited:

Booner76

Cadet

Skibrain

We where behind a 21' Avenger with a 225 hp Johnson using a stainless high 5 prop. The start was in the water ...all of us on combies. We all pulled together close. 27 mph.Inside left and right (to right and left of me...me in middle) dropped skies and climbed up on top. Held it for 4 minutes or so..then on a count of 3 ..the top 2 let go and dropped off behind us. (quite a drop from 6'4"...my height) Was alot of fun.
'Keep the curvy side down":)
Cheers

skibrain

BIg outboards have lots of grunt.

In high school we did a 5-man... Well lets just call it a 5-boy, because no one was over 17. :) Started with two boats; three up behind the main boat with 75 hp. 2 up behind 40 hp. transferred everyone over once underway and then a 13 and 14 yr old kicked off skis and climbed. I think we circled about 15 times before we had it all put together.

Booner76

Cadet

We FINALLY got some good water to ski!!!!!!! FINALLY!!! Just a bit of ripple on the pond.(just the way I like it). 3 of us..Brad and I...(shortliners)..and another fella who wanted to see what we where all cranked up about.(he skis 15 off at 32) .. Well...the water was just right..the dance floor was clear(no other boats) ,,soooo let's go 39 1/2 off at 36.He watched.. What a set.!!! Best ski this summer for me!...After we did a few sets, he decides to try it..(he's 36 years old...young pup).. Well... after a few cuts ..the smile comes across his face... (we could see the smile as we could almost reach out and touch him.) After his set....he's back in the boat.. We now have another converted short liner. His comment..."I gotta learn how to ski this way...everything happens so fast .. ya gotta lean forward and use you edges alot more"Yup...that's right! Try it...ya'll like it!
Connelly F1X.. Vision bindings
Nautique 206

"Keep the curvy side down" :)

Cheers

lornej

Cadet

I have not seen anyone else ski on the lake we go to. All tubing. I taught both of my kids(12 &15) and one other youngster to ski this summer. Anyone can hang onto a tube:rolleyes:

Ya, kind of irks me. I learned to ski at 11. 46 now. All my kids, 12 10 and 9 want to do is tube. they have kneeboarded, bu I can,t get them to try to ski. Myself I like to wakeboard now. Easier on the body. Do a few jumps and 180's. much more fun than just hanging onto a tube. I hate the out of contol feeling on a tube. I haven't barefooted in about 10 yrs, but may try it again this year or next if I can slip in beteween the kids tube rides.

divinginn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This thread makes me want to break out the Connely competition slalom and give it a go again,I just need something faster than the pontoon boat.:D

tfret

Chief Petty Officer

NEVER too old! I'm 44 and have been skiing since I was 6. I can't remember when I started to slalom, probably around 10. I began going to the gem every day after work for 30 minutes several years ago. I run one day, lift some weights the next, and keep a healthy diet. I can honestly say that I believe I'm at the top of my skiing game. I never get sore. And I do remember getting sore even when I was a teenager. I consider skiing on the weekends part of my work out routine that keeps me in shape. I just started wake boarding 3 years ago. A big adjustment for me at first. But now I'm very comfortable at it. I ususally slalom first while I'm fresh, then finish up with a good wake boarding run. I'll keep doing it as long as I live. It's all a matter of what life style you personally "choose" to live. Ski on man!

capecodcarol

Recruit

Never too old for waterskiing. I'm 51 and did 3 ski runs the other day with a newly created "waterski meetup group" started by a group of people that all wanted to ski, didnt have spotters, boats, etc...... go to meetup.com and create or join a group! Yes I am sore today but that means I worked my muscles so it motivates me to do more strength training at my gym !

As far as using old ski's.... those old wooden ones I've read on the posts above... they weigh a lot more than the new ones today. Go to Barts.com and see how inexpensive combo skis and wetsuits are today!!!! That's a very good priced watersports catalog for ALL boaters!!! Ck it out, I've been ordering from Barts for years and hope I never stop waterskiing. It keeps you in shape and motivates you to work out more.

Seasprite175

Cadet

You guys should try an airchair. Easy on the body and more fun than anything else. My 55 year old uncle learned how to ride it in about 30 minutes.

Once you figure it out you won't go back.

100_0123emaillarge.jpg

1Goof

Cadet

It has very little to do with your age. It is more just a matter of what shape you are in. Even when in good shape, I always find that the first 2 or 3 trips out cause me to be very sore for a couple of days afterwards. This is because you are using different muscle groups than what you do during the off-season to keep in shape. But I've always suffered that soreness, since I was a teenager. There is no difference now.

basalt51

Seaman

Skibrain - You must be old!! No body Slaloms anymore (and actually looks like they know what they are doing)! Nice pictures! It seems so funny to me how we've gone from boats designed to make the flattest wake possible to wakeboard boats designed to make the biggest wakes possible!

Anyways, I can't believe no one has posted Banana George yet!! You are never too old:
BANANAGEORGE2.jpg

Big pic:
http://www.thefootersedge.com/images/bgcard.jpg

skibrain

Thanks. Yup old as the hills. :)

191015595.jpg

Wakeboard boats are kind of a nuisance. Fortunately they like to sleep in and we're long gone by the time they show up.

gazelle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i just bought my first boat that you could ski behind this year. Dad came down to see it and decided to give it a go. Growing up as a kid he said they only stopped to get more gas because the water was too cold to fall in.

Well dad is now 66 and had not been on a pair of skis since he was 29. I talked him out of a slalom start in 2 ft of water. Surprising enough the old man got up on two the first time. No bad for not having done in in 37 years. He even felt good enough to go again the next day. He sure did earn my respect.

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I'm 51 and I slalom 1 or 2 times a week when weather permits... went last December on a 70 degree day! But, my dad's 85 - 2 years ago he skied just before having a pacemaker put in - was worried that he might not be able to get back on the skis after surgery... Well he's been up 4 times this past summer! Felt a little weak so stayed on 2. He's talking about trying slaloming next summer.

skibrain

Lots of good participation on this thread!

Thomas,
I feel your pain. Literally.

I completely understand what it is like to be sore after skiing. It is a set of muscles, back and shoulders, that is pretty specific to waterskiing and not much else.

I'd also say that the best way to get past the pain is to do it more. I try to ski 3 times a week minimum during the season and it takes me about 5-6 weeks each spring to get back what the winter layoff has caused.

Not to discourage you, but rather encourage you and anticipate that you'll be very stiff. Don't overdo it, but expect the the pain and work through it. My skiing soreness is a constant companion April through October. I've just learned to not complain about it at home. My wife has no sympathy for self-inflicted injury. :)