Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

SigSaurP229

Commander
This is truly what I would define as a muscle boat the cruise speed on it is 38 mph at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Then when you really get in the throttle it just seems to keep on going and going and going. As I said GPS clocked the boat at 53 mph WITH about 650 lbs in it +gas. I would be willing to bet with tabs and a better prop that it would pick up another MPH or so just because it is incredibly hard to hold the boat in the water. The first time I tested it I had the trim set to far out and on the hole shot it stood the boat up to a 45 degree angle.

Yes it does scare the carp out of the admiral. It is amazing and I think I scared the crap out of a glasser yesterday when I went flying by. Can you PM me where you got the blem Smart Tabs for under $100 I absolutely need a set. We had an absolute blast yesterday I just didn't have the patience to finish all the cosmetics knowing that everything was safe, and that the motor was running awesome.

I have a laundry list of stuff to do before I consider her fully splashed, including finishing all the stern stuff, changing the ski locker door, I am going to lower the black paint on the sides and change the decals, I am looking for a newer style curved windshield as well.

SigSaurP229

Commander
I guess the decision comes down to the 60# or 80# models. I am actually thinking that I am going to end up with the 80# model, from what I understand my Yamaha was the first year that they imported to the US, and the motor is actually a little underrated at 150hp, and may actually be pushing closer to 175 I think I would rather over size the tabs a little than to be undersized on the tabs.

I am not sure if I should be going off of the hull size or if I should be going off of the motor size. With the 60# tabs I am supposedly right on the upper limit of what they handle with the 80# tabs I am on the bottom of the limit of what they handle.

Though I am almost wondering if a set of Bennett hydraulic tabs might work a little better.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Remember Sig I have a heavier boat with a 205 HP V6 that weighs in at about 850#'s and the 60# tabs work great. If you over do it, they won't work right and you'll have to get lighter struts.

Also I'm running the 60s in the middle rung, they can be put on higher settings.

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander
Yeah that is kind of my worry I am just not sure if they work off of the force of the boat or force of the motor.

Watermann

Well you have my advice from experience with them and like I told Gibbs bigger isn't better when it comes to the smart tabs. You also have to consider their footprint on the back of the boat. The tab size gets bigger too.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Nauticas SX Smart tabs are going on tomorrow. I got the 60# hoping it makes a difference, I can tell you guys 54 MPH in a tinny is fun but gets a little squirrely especially on the launch.

Watermann

That's cool, I think you'll see a world of difference in the stability and ride, not to mention how well they keep the bow down. My stern heavy Chief has no bow rise on the launch and levels out perfect once on a plane.

Yeah closed ends with 5200 and I put a bead on in between the holes as well for added adhesion. They're built pretty strong, no way I can see to damage them under normal use, An impact with something solid or someone using them as a step would not be good though. I had a good sized chunk of drift wood hit mine that I didn't see until it was too late, I was able to steer the prop away but it hit the tab and didn't even leave a mark on it.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Interesting i called nauticus and explained the mount situation and they said use the screws provided not sure how i feel about that

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would feel better with some back up and some stainless machine screws and nuts. Sheet metal screws into thin AL holding the tabs on isn't very confidence inspiring to me.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Me neither i am kind of thinking about ditching the screws regardless of what nauticus said.

Watermann

Yeah I even put 080 AL pads on each side where I knew the tabs were going and there was no way I was going to hang those screws out inside with nothing but AL and a few course threads holding them. They mount through under the Z channel too for the most part and no way to get nylocs on or off machine screws with decking in place so I went with closed end blinds and 5200 to hold them on. They're solid as can be and once the 5200 cures pretty much part of the boat. :lol:

SigSaurP229

Commander
Because of patches i had to do to the transom the ended up about 1 an inch above the bottom of the stern 4 holes made it into the transom wood 2 of them ended up mounted w closed end rivets. Because of how badly the boat porpoises I have initially set the tabs to hole number 4. Will report back w details tomorrow or Sunday

Watermann

An inch above, I'll be interested in hearing if the tabs work as well as they should mounted that far above with the bottom of the hull.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Ladies and gentleman SMART TABS are the answer very rarely does a product live up to all the advertised claims even with less than optimal mounting circumstances these do, they are worth ever penny that I paid. The boat is entirely different and I absolutely love this boat twice as much