Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I cant get close to the garage door with out being asked where am i going? what am i doing? and/or... Are you gonna take the kids with you? Some times saying ill have chemicals out will buy me time. But it doesnt last long.

Decker83

Commander
Congrats on the new addictions.. Great looking kids..
Rub rail looks almost as good..:D

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Congratulations to you and the Admiral Sig!! Welcome Back!!! Looks like the Silver Lining play- pen will be getting alot more use!

SigSaurP229

Commander
Thanks everyone. Dozer you will be quite pleased with the new rubrail. 45 Feet I think is what I ordered for mine.

The kids are already spoiled rotten.

OH yes I am used to the where are you going what are you doing take the kids with you speech.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Just because she aint done dont mean I cant enjoy her took some GPS readings yesterday. She holds plane at 2800 rpms at 26 mph comfortable cruising is 3200 rpms at 30 mph. She runs 54 mph at 5200 rpms. Still no trim gauge so im still kind of shooting blind.

I did add an auto bilge pump and rear trim switch. Changed the gear oil. Time to finish up the stern work so I can close it up

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's smokin right across the water in a little tin boat. What pitch prop is on that 1 fitty?

As far as a trim gauge goes I have one only because I cant see the outdrive but they don't help much for trimming while running without graduations, it's just Up ---- Down with space in between. Trim is best done by ear and feel for the current conditions of the water and weight in the boat. Does your OB have trim sends on it?

SigSaurP229

Commander
Watermann

It has a sensor yes, however Yamaha trim sensors are weird and they wont work w aftermarket gauges. I have Faria gauges so Im not sure its worth it in my mind to tear my console apart to install a non matching trim gauge. So ive been doing exactly what you said by feel sound conditions and tach. My fuel gauge is wired now and all the wiring is cleaned up just down to speedo tube and transducer before closing up. She is running double 900 gph bilge pumps. On auto switches the bilge seems drybbut s he is stern heavy and it makes me paranoid. I came extremely close to trading the yammy for a 140 evinrude BUT the yammy just runs so nice I just cant bring myself to part w it. I think the plans at this point are to find some 175 hp carbs up the jets and bores pick up some high performance reeds play w the teim tabs Get a good SS prop and see if The Silver Lining can be the first Starmada boat to break 60mph she rides fantastic in smooth water now at 50+ gotta slow down in chop though she gets a little squirrely.

The yamahas are known to run 5800-5900 rpms all day long w no ill repercussions at all, and I sispect with the right tuning prop and trim I can get 60. Even at 50+ she pounds alot less than a bass boat.

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander
Ok for some reason I can't go back and edit my photos from the phone to the computer/ vice versa. I am going to go on a soap box here in just a second, but first.

Today I was doing some wrap up work on the boat. I have tons of time effort energy and money in this boat, I am hoping that it will last me the rest of my life actually. I know most everyone on this forum is in the same situation, we do this because we love boating and we have pride of ownership we don't want a payment on a brand new boat (no debt for toys) etc etc etc. I have talked about by neighbor across the street in this thread a few times before (Mr. 3k neutral drop on dry land). The neighbor fell in love with my boat so he went this year (at income tax return time of course) and financed a Black over grey aluminum bass tracker. Scheme is IDENTICAL to my StarCraft. So I guess in a way I am honored. BUT when I saw the following earlier I was horrified. Everyone please avert your eyes the image below is GRAPHIC.

Yes that is a 2 month old 2015 Bass tracker sitting uncovered in the rain for 4 days now. The white thing in the background that is the FREE boat cover that came with it.

The good news is I bet in about 5 years I can buy a 2015 Bass Tracker DIRT cheap.

SigSaurP229

Commander
You just can't fix STUPID

Nope everyone knows a boat is a hole in the water you through money into, but why waste it. The boat will be rotten in 5 years I just can't understand it. I know in this forum people put a lot of blood sweat and tears into their work to build the highest quality product they can build and some of us have spent almost what a new boat cost. So I just can't understand watching it rot.

jbcurt00

Staff member
At least its bow high.....

Whats the over under on the drain plug? In or out?

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
My guess is plug is in at the house. When he takes it to the ramp he pulls it out on the way to drain 4 days of water. Then puts the boat in the water forgetting he took the plug out.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Sig it's great to see you back. The Starmada swag looks great on the windshield. As for your neighbor if he's like allot of people I've met the general consensus I've found is people don't realize a boat is supposed to be in the water not have water in it. I think if you can't educate them then like you said in a couple of years you can pick up that Tracker for a good price.

As for the edit feature it's been changed by admin. You now can only edit your posts for up to an hour after posting. If you need to edit a post after that hour you have to contact a moderator.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Good thing I have a mod on speed dial to bad we missed each other this weekend JB. Eh he is seriously beyond education when it comes to boat maintenance. I am honestly banking that he will either sell it or it will be repossessed within the year. I was upset because mine got rained on seriously on Saturday, however, we were out on the lake playing.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah doing 60 in an SS would be some kind of record not to mention too cool! I loosened the tabs up one notch and went out to test them, seemed to not make much difference until I took a turn and found that she digs in now and doesn't turn so flat.

Good on ya showing your Starmada pride! The Chief is sporting them as well on the side windows. :D

The neighbor not ever look over and see the silver lining all covered up and wonder about doing the same with his boat? Tough to imagine laying down that kind of coin on a new boat and then abusing it with the weather. :rolleyes:

SigSaurP229

Commander
Actually Watermann, my truck stays parked outside and The Silver Lining actually gets parked in the garage with a dust cover over top of her. The only time she is uncovered is towing to and from the lake and when in use or being worked on. I am actually thinking about playing with the tabs a little as I have them set in notch 4 right now, BUT the hole shot on this boat is ridiculously insane and it helps keep the nose down. Before the tabs she would literally jump out of the water. I actually hit 54 Saturday with myself 2 passengers and 15 gallons of fuel on board. Total passenger weight about 680 lbs. I am the lightest at 165 I honestly think on smooth water, 15 gallons of fuel I could probably get 57 out of her, and I am running an aluminum prop, I believe she is a 19 pitch if I remember correctly.

As far as the stickers go I have literally spent thousands of dollars on this boat I have never actually run an exact tally on it I am way to scared to do that. Just the seating alone was around $800 or so. Out of all the money that I spent the only grief the admiral ever gave me was the stickers, over $12. Of course she didn't see the receipts for most of the other stuff, and I do a good job of hiding the actual outlay because I pick up a ton of side work to pay for it all.

Yep lets see $800 in seating who even knows about the electronics, plywood, foam, epoxy, Oak and aluminum trim (yet to be installed), motor parts, motors trailer rehabs (on trailers I don't even own anymore), Paint, tools, Rivets, GOD only knows how much on Stainless Steel hardware (the ENTIRE boat is done in stainless), 5200, throttle and shifter cables (I forgot I even bought new throttle and shifter cables until I saw them installed today), Steering, steering wheel, Lighting, Marine grade wire and electrical connectors, and god only knows what else.

Honestly The Silver Lining was never supposed to turn into 63 pages of mayhem, it was supposed to be done in 90 days and be on the water as a functional (albeit more than likely fairly ugly) watercraft, but things just kind of spiraled, here we are over 2 years later and she still isn't done. A simple thing like running electrical bought a premade harness and hated the fuse box so I changed it all. I have never even owned a boat with functioning gauges before Now here I am debating changing the whole gauge cluster because the trim gauge won't work with an early Yamaha, The steering system in the boat was functional but for SOME reason I had to have a no feedback system (albeit she steers as easily as a Cadillac now), So for someone to just purchase a brand new boat and leave it outside uncovered to rot it just is despicable to me. Maybe because it is easy to have $250 a month drafted from your checking account, its not quite so easy to let your hands heal from cuts, and making sure that bow piece lays just perfectly, or that piece of vinyl looks just right there. I am quite frankly disgusted by looking at that boat, and it isn't the boats fault, but the cover is laying on the ground right next to it.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
If not for guys like your neighbor, many of us wouldnt have boats and none of us would have met... So I say: let him ignore good neighborly advice, leave the cover in a pile on the ground and let his hard earned cash pay for an investment thats losing value much faster then it should. W even moderate care and maintenance, its useful, safe life could be doubled pr tripled. W significant care and maintenance, itd hold value and might last virtually indefinitely....

so let it waste away..... conspicuous consumption at its worst, but to our benefit, or those like us 5yrs from now. ;)

If you have 1st gen Starmada stuff, 2nd gen is much better....

Hope to see you in September. Perhaps a slacker you know will have a boat to run along after the Silver Lightning. Not likely to keep up, even if we choke SLs carb down 50% w a governer :facepalm:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
I hear ya, every time I turn around I throw money at the boat, but I do not begrudge it one bit. It's still nowhere near new boat cost, but the boat is all mine, with my own flavor thrown in. It will all be worth it once she's on the water again. Heck, even dreaming of how it will turn out is almost worth it lol.

SigSaurP229

Commander
HEY Jb can't wait to have you in September then maybe she will be OFFICIALLY ready to be splashed at that point. The only thing I can say for sure is I absolutely love this boat I think the twins may have even been caused by the excitement of the first test dip with the Yammy on her. Actually Jb I can hold plane down to 26 MPH and burn very little fuel when running that slow.

I still haven't forgotten about the Plaques either. Send me a new link I may just have to order a few more, for the driver's side. I am thinking that the Jup will be my last one, unless I do a little Jon boat or something.

Its just a shame though I am looking forward to meeting up with you again hope the Admiral is doing well, and that the Escape is hanging in there. I am looking at a $1200 bill the AC went out in the Expedition (leaking compressor), the good news is I can change the compressor and vacuum the lines, the bad news is I have to pay someone to Evac and flush the system.