Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

jbcurt00

Staff member
And it has the gull wing keel, right?
No, I think it's flat at the transom:
IMAG0544.jpg

IMAG0545_zpsfcfe66fe.jpg

IMAG1254_zpsed2682d4.jpg

GA, which MOD has a 115hp on their Jupiter 16ft'r?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No, I think it's flat at the transom:

GA, which MOD has a 115hp on their Jupiter 16ft'r?

The flat transom and three braces look identical to the Nassau, Except the Jup transom wood looks a little deeper. Mine is only about 10" from the top to the bottom of the kneebrace notch if I remember. That probably accounts for the 75 vs 85 horse max difference between the two. Well along with a few other dimensional changes too.
JB - EZ is the only Mod I can remember with a Jupiter. His had a 85. IM has a 90 and one of the disappeared Jups had a Merc 100 he sold before dropping off the forum.

jbcurt00

Staff member
JB - EZ is the only Mod I can remember with a Jupiter. His had a 85. IM has a 90 and one of the disappeared Jups had a Merc 100 he sold before dropping off the forum.
At some point EZ said at least 1 MOD had a 115hp on a 16ftr, during a discussion about overpowering a 16ft Jupiter.....

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of dropping a 115 on a Jupiter, IM's 90 yes, but another 25 on top of that, nope not a big fan. Of course, 25yrs ago, yep, probably would have been:
Heck yeah! Can I slalom ski behind it?

'Carving' a high speed turn might get just a tad sporty for me with a 115 on a flat hull'd Jup....

And now back to Sig's resto of the current project:

Hope the tech got all the gremlins sorted on the Yammy.....

SigSaurP229

Commander
She started, accidently with no water but the Yammy started. Lets just say my spark tester still showed no start I was messing with a few things forgot to ground out a plug wire and before I turned the water on oopppssss

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Awesome news, glad she fired up! No water... meh no biggie, I'm sure your going to replace the water pump anyway. I would go ahead and give it a full cooling system over haul complete with new thermostats.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Yep I know the drill.

WTH everytime I post my post count goes down. Started at 1900 earlier today and now down to 952

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Check your visitor messages, Sig.
The Yammy runs. That's good.

SigSaurP229

Commander
I did but honestly i am not the most tech literate so i am still kind of trying to figure all the new stuff out. Did a little more work on the stern seating today. Its all sparred up half way carpeted. Going to be interesting to see how it holds up as it is the only piece on this boat that has not been treated with epoxy. I am kind of with jig n grub spar might be fine but epoxy is the superior product.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Well its starting to come together. Pretty pleased thus far especially as much as I have been dreading doing this part even from the beginning.

GA_Boater

Your fears were groundless, Sig. Looking good. A little bit of storage in the open spot under the splashwell?

SigSaurP229

Commander
I was thinking about it, but there is only 3 inches of room between the Fuel tank and the front of the bench seat, there really isn't much room to put anything so, I am thinking I am just going to put some cupholders in it and call it a day.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Cup holders ARE storage on a boat. Keys, DRAIN PLUGS, cellphones, ipods & all manner of sun blocks :watermelon:

Oh and of course the requisite frosty adult libation :cool:

GA_Boater

And don't forget fish hooks, sinkers and sunglasses. Oh yeah - more drain plugs. :smile:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks great Sig,

I wouldn't worry about using spar instead of glasser juice. Neither will hold up to neglect or abuse. Garage or cover the boat to keep it dry and it will outlast you. What little water gets in when using a boat is nothing compared to 4 seasons of weather inside an uncovered boat. I wonder how long a new convertible Mercedes would hold up if people treated them the same as their boat?

That Johnny on the glasser might be one of those electric shift models.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Well plans have changed no donor boat its going to be a while. The wife and I have made the decision to buy a beater car, the expedition gets around 14 mpg around town, and her Pacifica gets about 17 around town. Right now we are spending right around $320 per month in gas between boat vehicles, we found a little

1993 Honda Civic with only 100,000 miles on it. It has a popped head gasket water pump went out. For only $400 I don't see myself losing money anyways.

Its a 4 door so should be a decent family run around and grocery getter. Hoping that it will cut our monthly gas bill by about half. Its going to cost me $17 per month to insure it. So if we are successful and it cuts our gas bill in half, it will be an extra $143 per month in boat building money.

jbcurt00

Staff member
That $500 SeaRay will likely be around for a nice long while, unless he hauls it to the dump.

I might throw him a $200 offer.......... Ya never know. And do it from the Admiral's phone. That way if he flips out, you can call again 2wks from a different # and make a $275 offer

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
wife had a civic around 1999 era when I met her with over 100k we sold it about 6 years ago and we still see it on the road. Shoulda kept it for the boys. Got 38 hwy.