Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey GAB when did you get recruited into the MOD Squad? :thumb: I must be getting senile in my old age.

Sig's got 3 threads now on the same SC, dang I never get no nothings... :lol:

EDIT - Do you want me to move your topic, WM? :smile: I moved Chem's with no probs. I've been in an unmarked car for a couple of weeks. But the blue lights have to turn on eventually. LOL

EZ moved my Chief thread to the SC forum a while back, good place to hang out and not get lost in the Bayliner with rotten floor resto threads.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Obviously, when the rest of us weren't looking.....Lol

Harumph!

Sig - It looks like it's updating the latest post now I moved the replies that ended up in the copy and moved the post with the checklist from the other topic to here too. It should be ready to cook now. :noidea: what went wrong, but enough kicks and pokes seem to have awakened the Silver Lining. If it acts up, shoot me a PM and I'll kick some sense into it, even if some of the other :mod:s rag on me. :smile: Thanks for putting up with all this, hopefully it all behind us.

GA_Boater

Hey Sig, yes she's special, but there is only one open topic now. You caught the other one during the switcheroo. This is actually the recovered one that you started with the first post way back in Feb. 2013. Git 'er Dun! :smile:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sig, what the heck happened to the trailing edge of that Yam's skeg and the back side of the prop blades? Serious ventilation? Not sure I've seen a skeg damaged like that before, most the time it's banged up from striking bottom and is the leading edge busted up.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Not sure watermann i thought it was kind of weird while its totally unlike me I am actually having a yamaha tech come out and give the yammy good look over and diagnose the no spark issue. If it were a johnnyrude or merc i would feel confident but i know nothing about yammys. Hopefully i get an easy diagnosis and can run her by this weekend.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Got a little work in on her today. Started straightening the whole excavator incident unfortunately there is always going to be a little scar from it as she got slightly creased under the rubrail, I was able to pull it back straight for the most part. I can mostly live with it because at this point I have no real choice anyways.

Then I finally got myself to get started on the stern seating, I have been dreading this part since day 1 but it has to be done, just hoping I can do a decent job of it.

I had scheduled an appointment with a mechanic to show up today, they didn't bother to show or call.

After all this is done we are down to little piddly stuff. Then on to the Jupiter.

I have already mapped out entirely how I am going to do the Jupiter, and she is going to be a beautiful boat. The Jup is going to put the Silver Lining, and Flipper to shame. I am hoping that the Jupiter is going to be on par with the quality of Grandad, and Dozer. The admiral has decided the Jup is her boat and she wants it done a certain way.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

The admiral has decided the Jup is her boat and she wants it done a certain way.

Show her how to create an account so she can posts with pics of the work she's doing on the Jup. Or is that not a good idea. :eek: LOL

SigSaurP229

Commander
I tried Ga she is not pleased by that idea. You would really like her though, as she has decided the Jup is going to get powered by a Vintage Merc she wants the Black and Chrome look. While Merc's may not be my number 1 pic of motor, she has a point they are really good looking motors.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hmmm, a vintage Merc ya say....... Good luck. There's a few 70-90hp Merc's on ebay currently, some on donor hulls & some just OB's.

Now that I'm USING a boat occasionally, and managing quite a bit at work again, it'll be a good while before I hit the tin workshop in a meaningful way. I'll try to sort thru my carp soon, I might have a set of vintage Merc controls I can set you up with. Unrestored, of course.......

Looking forward to seeing more @ the SL & any pending Jup work ;)

SigSaurP229

Commander
Well the sl is gonna hit the water before work even begins on the jup. Im super stoked about the yammy going on her. I think it is the perfect performance motor for this hull. Pulled tubers behind the toon this weekend and they all got pretty bored very quickly something tells me the silver lining withe the yammy on the back should make for a slightly more shall we say exhilarating ride. They all love to try to be thrown off the tube not quite sure if i can make that happen with this set up but I think she will make a good run for it.

GA_Boater

I'm partial to the Black Beasts, maybe because Mercs are the only OBs I've had - So far. :smile: Before I got the Nassau, I looked at Jup with a Merc 850. That was one sweet Tinny and was a great boat/motor match. Too bad we were both stuck too far apart to strike a deal. :blue:

SigSaurP229

Commander
Yep that setup was exactly what i had in mind for the jup. Most likely an older red band or even earlier if I can find one. I think an oldet kiekhaufer would look pretty sweet on it to though

Joe it wouldn't let me reply I am looking for anything 65hp to 100 hp. Ideally I would like an 85 but I am not picky if its cheap

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander
Joe, I am thinking an old school 850 really from a 650 to 1000 would probably work, but I think an 850 would be perfect.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
10-4 I'll keep an eye out for you - remember I travel a good part of the SE (driving) for work. I'll try to let you know where i'm at so you can peruse the CL. Headed to St Louis in a couple weeks and they have some good old outboard generally....

GA_Boater

85 HP is the rating plate max. for a Jupiter, I think.

SigSaurP229

Commander
I believe you are correct GA, though looking at the transom supports on that boat it looks like it could easily handle a 200 that transom support system is a monster.

I do however believe the 80hp redband that Joe posted is about the perfect fit. This is all in due time though we gotta finish the S/l first.

Had someone come out and straighten out the wiring on the Yammy today, supposedly it is getting spark now. I am honestly not convinced, his spark tester showed spark mine did not.

GA_Boater

Does your Jup have 1 or 3 kneebraces, Sig? And it has the gull wing keel, right?