Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

Four big fat blue sparks. Good news. Only need two more things. Air, see if you can find some. :facepalm: And some pre-mix and you're going for putts. :D But take care of yourself first, Sig.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Not bad for a $15.00 ebay buy on the stator it was a score, I have overhauled the ignition completely and the wiring harness on the outboard with new oldstock parts purchased on ebay, for $115.00 That includes two new power packs, new stator, and new timer base.

Up next more work on the stern assembly, and then what I have been dreading since basically day 1 rehabbing the consoles.

Luckily donor boat has a whole lot of Aluminum that can be used to reskin patch and repair the passenger console then treated with 1/4" foam, and covered in vinyl install a glove box install aluminum trim and she will be done on the consoles.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Good to see you got the Spark back in your life :D The consuls aren't that bad, just another step to completion.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Well unfortunately due to an incident that happened while test fitting a gas tank earlier the donor boat is now in the work bay, and the starcraft is in the storage bay.

Never test fit a fuel tank with a toddler anywhere even remotely close YOU will end up spilling gas all over your new floors and carpet.

I cleaned it up as best I could but it has to dry out before it can be in the shop. You don't put carpet saturated with gas anywhere even remotely close to a garage bay heated with a wood stove.

Interestingly enough, I don't think the engine on donor boat is nearly as jacked up as I previously though. I noticed that the ignition fuse was blown which is probably why it wouldn't crank on its own.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Glad it wasn't worse, you don't strike me as a Torch moniker kinda guy :faint2:

Good to hear there may be a simple solution for getting the donor motor fired. Any luck on the tin scavenger hunt?

SigSaurP229

Commander

Glad it wasn't worse, you don't strike me as a Torch moniker kinda guy :faint2:

Good to hear there may be a simple solution for getting the donor motor fired. Any luck on the tin scavenger hunt?

Really all I am finding is Redneck Joe's Viking, which I am really interested in, but going to get it is going to be a serious PIA

jbcurt00

Staff member

Take Joe up on his offer, maybe he'll be able to get it closer then Nashville.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Take Joe up on his offer, maybe he'll be able to get it closer then Nashville.

Was working with him on it but the trailer isn't safe to pull it needs new bearings and new tires before it can be towed, else it has to go on a flat bed, and I don't have access to one presently. I have enough trailer woes at the moment to do me in for a good long time without a 3 hour trip turning into the nightmare from you know where again.

I really don't understand a sellers logic, If you really want the heap off of your property wouldn't you want someone to be able to tow it away? I walked away from a different donor boat with an 85 hp Merc on the back for $150 all because both of the tires were flat, and I couldn't tow it. The seller didn't have a jack, lug wrench or compressor to air the tires up with.

If you want your junk boat gone, then at bare minimum make it towable. I am not asking anyone to clean the trash out, deal with the trees growing in the floor, have a battery available for compression checking, or even have working trailer lights (I bring my own magnetic they work and I trust them), just make sure the bearings are greased and the tires are aired up.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Was working with him on it but the trailer isn't safe to pull it needs new bearings and new tires before it can be towed, else it has to go on a flat bed, and I don't have access to one presently. I have enough trailer woes at the moment to do me in for a good long time without a 3 hour trip turning into the nightmare from you know where again.

I really don't understand a sellers logic, If you really want the heap off of your property wouldn't you want someone to be able to tow it away? I walked away from a different donor boat with an 85 hp Merc on the back for $150 all because both of the tires were flat, and I couldn't tow it. The seller didn't have a jack, lug wrench or compressor to air the tires up with.

If you want your junk boat gone, then at bare minimum make it towable. I am not asking anyone to clean the trash out, deal with the trees growing in the floor, have a battery available for compression checking, or even have working trailer lights (I bring my own magnetic they work and I trust them), just make sure the bearings are greased and the tires are aired up.
Yep, agreed ^^^

I think many sellers are expecting someone to be grateful to 'only' be paying $150 for a boat, motor & trailer, condition be damned..... Whatever the number, really, because so many of these 'low cost' boats in the $0-5~600 range are:
Here it is, take it or leave it, this is my price, I want to put as little effort into selling it as possible, if you'd like to take some pix & write my ad for me, that'd be great, and probably cut down on the misspelling & confusing, nonsensical text I'd have written anyway
ads.

An ad from today:

Boat for sale:

It's blue, I bought it to fish with & don't, please come take it off my hands.....

No price, no pix. Just: Blue. Darn, I wanted a red one.......
Really is it a test to see how many email addresses & phone #'s you can get?

Have a great end of the week.

I may be down your way in the next couple weeks. Covert ops. Don't tell the Admiral...........

If you were to get the Viking, you'd open the bow?

SigSaurP229

Commander

Happy 1 year anniversary to the Silver Lining she has been with the family for a year, we still aren't done but we are no longer worthy of going to the dump.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Happy anniversary! :watermelon:

GA_Boater

Happy 1st Re-Birthday, Sig. :D

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm really enjoying this thread. I just purchased a 1984 Starcraft 16ft with a 50 suzuki, it has been left outside and uncovered for a long period of time. The floor is basically gone I removed what was left of the flooring and am now trying to figure out what have and what I should have. The seats I think will be usable, controlls seem to be ok, the engine needs a coil and a starter solenoid, (i'm told) Both batteries are ok. The floor will be my first thing to correct, I have it covered and am waiting for it dry out. I have the same questions about flooring. I have read not to use treated plywood because it reacts with the aluminum, if you use exterior plywood it is suggested to but resin or varnish or it, but if you are going to put carpet over it wouldn't the glue be a good coating for the wood as far as sealing it?
Just like the previous post I'm just starting on this and anything anyone has to offer as far as information I greatly appreciate it.

Ditto here. My Grumman resto has been complete for several years now, we've enjoyed it much. By the way, I was in SCHS '74. You?

Peter in SC

jbcurt00

Staff member

A trade up for the GT150? Nice looking motor, but what's your 18' rated for? 120~140?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Pssst: do it :D

SigSaurP229

Commander

Pssst: do it :D

Sent an email to the guy, maybe it will work out, she has kind of been on the back burner and I think it would be a great way for me to apologize to her after the whole excavator incident that I still have to fix.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Mine is rated for 150 but personally I wouldn't go higher than a 140. I'm not interested in the additional weight, complexity, and fuel consumption of a V6 for 10 extra ponies. I'm sure the hole shot would be insane though. My friend has a 200 on his 21' SS and the fuel consumption of that thing is staggering.

GA_Boater

Sent an email to the guy, maybe it will work out, she has kind of been on the back burner and I think it would be a great way for me to apologize to her after the whole excavator incident that I still have to fix.

You could just get her a new cup holder or heck, a new steering wheel. :laugh:

Hope the Etec deal works out for ya, Sig. She'll be prom ready! :D